Strawbales underground?

Straw bale, adobe - heck, even car tires can be used to construct a solid, earth friendly, energy efficient house! Share your alternative building experiences and ask for advice here

Re: Strawbales underground?

Postby Tracker » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:39 pm

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:Strawbale construction has a better fire rating than standard brick veneer housing. ....... very little Oxygen can get in to sustain the fire, you just end up with slow smoulder, rather than a raging inferno.

That could be handy in winter.. central heating.. ;)

Good point Gordon.. I was thinking and said HAY, which straw is not, and so perhaps spontaneous combustion would not be an issue, but surely the other points would remain.. ie would go mouldy, and surely must rot if wet, otherwise why add it to compost heaps.

Anyway, it's surely pointless as no one would use it underground , period..... would they.. :cry: ?

Once above ground, you could go up with bales, and what a thermally efficient home that would be ..
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby davidg » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:04 pm

Tracker wrote:That could be handy in winter.. central heating.

:lol: :lol:
Tracker wrote:I was thinking and said HAY, which straw is not, and so perhaps spontaneous combustion would not be an issue

Hay is stock feed much more valuable for that. :)

Tracker wrote:The other points would remain.. ie would go mouldy, and surely must rot if wet, otherwise why add it to compost heaps.

Straw needs to "breath" otherwise points like mouldy will occur :cry:

Tracker wrote:Anyway, it's surely pointless as no one would use it underground , period..... would they?

I would wonder, the earth temp is very stable in temperate areas, normally only varies by about 2 degrees year round at about a metre. Good insulation on the ceiling/roof is where it's needed really. Space UG is at premium throwing it away in lots of insulation would add up to a lot of pennies or additional cost.
Hybrid & Off-grid Systems - You could store Sun to use later- I Do!
SELECTRONIC SPMC-482 7.5kW, 7.2kW's of Arrays

with AC-Coupled Grid-Connected Inverters,
1100Ah 48V Bank

Auto Backup Genset
PVOutput Stats

We Sparkys light up your life :)
davidg
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby BruceM » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:26 pm

I know this is a fairly old thread but nearly all the big old homesteads built around the turn of the century (before last) had cellars almost as the original poster has suggested he'd like except they just used redgum logs for the walls.
Many shops also had them and many are still there but covered over.
BruceM
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Previous

Return to Alternative Building