Review of Solar Feed-in Tariff for Queensland

News, product developments and events occurring in the wind and solar power industry

Review of Solar Feed-in Tariff for Queensland

Postby bpratt » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:00 pm

Well the QCA have made their report public, the details are at :-

http://www.qca.org.au/files/ER-QCA-Fina ... D-0313.pdf

This killer part of the report as I see it is :-

The ongoing costs of the existing Solar Bonus Scheme could potentially be reduced and more equitably shared by:

requiring electricity retailers to contribute to the distributor funded feed-in tariff payments;
developing more cost reflective network charges for PV customers; and/or
assigning PV customers to Tariff 12.

Tariff 12 in Qld is ToU tariffs, which for those with Origin is as follows :-

Peak 38.4153 c/kwh (16:00 to 20:00 weekdays)
Shoulder 23.5752 c/kwh (07:00 to 16:00 + 20:00 to 22:00 weekdays, 07:00 to 22:00 weekends)
Off Peak 18.8463 c/kwh (22:00 to 07:00 7 days a week)
Daily supply charge of 86.4358 c per day (around $78 per quarter)

This is huge jump over the current Tariff 11 of 25.3781 c/kwh and daily supply charge of 28.7870 c ($25.90 for a 90 day quarter).
Tariff 33 offpeak as most use because you have access to it most of the is charged at 17.1545 c/kwh, which is cheaper than tariff 12 off peak.

To me this recommendation is patently unfair to PV users and done purely to favour the electricity wholesalers and retailers.

If non-PV users can choose to be on tariff 11, so should PV users be allowed to choose to do the same.

If Energex or one of their retailers have a flat cost of 8c/kwh, then a retailer charging your neighbour 25.3781c/kwh for the power that you export and does not really go all the way back in to anyones network for infrastructure costs, then they are making a nice profit.
Kaco 6600
26 x Trina Honey 250w panels. (wish I could work out how to upload to pvoutput.org)

New house build :-
http://bandlnewhomebuild.blogspot.com

My weather station :-
http://jimboombaweather.com
bpratt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: Review of Solar Feed-in Tariff for Queensland

Postby Tracker » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:47 pm

Peak.......... 38.4153 c/kwh
Shoulder...... 23.5752 c/kwh
Off Peak...... 18.8463 c/kwh
SC.............86.4cpd

It's interesting how different states see the value of power.. cf NSW
PEAK...........47.7
SHOULDER....19.4
Off-PEAK......11.9
SC.............74.7cpd

PLUS 10% GST

So, with all my cutting and shaving, lets apply MY usage to your figures

Peak.......... 38.4153 c/kwh.......410units == $157.44
Shoulder...... 23.5752 c/kwh.......1260units== $296.10
Off Peak...... 18.8463 c/kwh.......1360units==..$255.68 ===== $709.22 + (SC) $77.86 === $787.08
SC.............86.4cpd...............90 days.......................$77.86

So if I was on your old Tariff 11.... This would equate to ..........$767.80 + (SC) $25.90 == $793.7

PLUS GST.. :idea:

So in fact, IF you can do some serious load shifting from PEAK to OFF-PEAK, you might be no worse off.
If you fail to serious change habits, then you can see that it is most certainly going to cost you more.

Hopefully, most will not be as big an enviro-terrorist as I am, but up in QLD, those window rattlers are likely running all night and day..

The bastards are going to get us ALL, and remember that we were told that we had to SUFFER..., and clearly that is what will be happening... :twisted:

Do understand that as we ALL move more to OFF-Peak, they no doubt will start ripping into that and increasing it..

It is all becoming great motivation for Blended Power Systems...
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby bpratt » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:08 pm

The prices I quote were INC GST, not ex gst. :)

We are daytime, read 16:00 to 20:00 users. I guess perhaps if we can stop breathing between those hours we might be okay. :P

As we stand we run our split system a/c on offpeak, as well as tumble dryer (sadly that is mum's best friend/home help).

I can not for the life of me see my mum do anything after 22:00 or before 07:00, and whilst she is still active and healthy it's important to let her keep doing what she's always done.

My long term plan of going total offgrid is looking smarter the more I look at it.
Kaco 6600
26 x Trina Honey 250w panels. (wish I could work out how to upload to pvoutput.org)

bpratt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:17 pm

Off-peak aint what it used to be in these days of PV solar and wind power! Dad tells me his off-peak hot water has been coming on during the daytime lately! It is turned on via the signal down the line.

Regarding standing charges and switching to off-grid there's an interesting article today about what the big power companies would like to do.

You can check out any time you want, but you can never leave! ...

See http://reneweconomy.com.au/2013/power-p ... more-90603
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Tracker » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:14 pm

It means that household are faced with a Hobson’s choice – consume more, and pay higher electricity bills. Or consume less … and pay higher electricity bills.

Confused? Well, you’re supposed to be. The electricity market is a complex beast and pricing mechanisms are almost impossible to understand. That’s the way that utilities like it: “Confusion is profit”, as one executive admitted recently.

And one could presume that PRIVATISATION has more than a BIT to do with it.
I would BET the rightie, that guaranteed profits were part of the tender undertakings..
The only glimmer of hope is that whilst there are POLITICIANS, more worried about their collective arses than my Rightie, then THEY will be keen to be seen to be trying..

We need some of the Privatised entities to go broke.. :idea:

I can't remember WHERE I saw it but somewhere "Off-Peak" was more expensive that Shoulder..
That is a clear recognition of someone refusing to let you shift power consumption..

Can someone suggest where this oddity exists..

PS... with the GST, that would only mean that each figure would be reduced by 10% odd.. Still the same..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Smurf1976 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:30 pm

Tracker wrote:[color=#0000BF]I can't remember WHERE I saw it but somewhere "Off-Peak" was more expensive that Shoulder..
That is a clear recognition of someone refusing to let you shift power consumption..

Can someone suggest where this oddity exists..

It's not what you are referring to but Aurora Pay As You Go (PAYG) rates in Tasmania were similar at one point.

In short, the Winter evening period (a peak) was cheaper than the afternoon (when demand is lower). Depending on which set of rates you were on, the evening peak rate was either the second cheapest, or equal cheapest with overnight, of the 4 daily periods.

Summer was a bit the same, they dropped the price a bit during the time when spot market prices tend to be highest.

In the case of Winter in particular, they were intentionally encouraging to the peaks in order to justify to regulators their proposed network investment plans. The higher peak demand went, the more fancy lines and sub-stations they were allowed to build and the more consumers paid.

The other effect, of course, was to make it difficult for other fuels (wood, gas, whatever) to compete in the cooking and space heating markets since consumption there is highest of a Winter afternoon and evening and that's when the electricity rates were being artificially lowered.

Now it seems that Aurora is practically broke and has now reversed this pricing structure to one which more accurately reflects actual costs. Wonder how they managed to lose money with such financial brilliance at work..... :roll:
Smurf1976
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:48 pm

bpratt wrote:I can not for the life of me see my mum do anything after 22:00 or before 07:00, and whilst she is still active and healthy it's important to let her keep doing what she's always done.....

Part of the point in my exercise with YOUR pricing was to show that you could make up the difference.
There is NO WAY, that 90% of people could achieve what we have achieved.
I can imagine folk filling thermos flasks at 1345, to cover the 1400 to 2000 span -cuppa-tea-times
cooking their dinner at midday, and zapping it at 1800..
Is this what we have been reduced to by the Rangar and Brownie..?

We can do devious things and even go Off-Grid, but we know that will cause others to pay more..
NOW - we know that all those with SOLAR, will be causing ALL to pay more, because it has nothing to do with saving the planet, and everything to do with protecting the PROFITS of those who bailed the Governments out of their collective needs for DOLLARS..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby blackbuttsolar » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:46 pm

So the Qld govt wants to penalise people who have installed solar power. I thought it was called competition. Well if you go to the Royal Brisbane Womens Hospital, you will see numerous large solar panels on the roof of the bus station, and who owns these panels? Qld Govt of course. Years ago I used to work in the power stations, and the price the generators were getting during the day equates to 35 cents per kilowatt hour, which variesw from day to day. This is what Premier Campbell Newman wants to see, but in the hot months of January and February, they get paid $8 per kwh. No doubt the price has risen in the last 6 years so heaven knows how much they get now. :cry: :cry:
blackbuttsolar
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby bpratt » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:04 pm

And with this wonderful lot of recent news, it just means more people likely to go hybrid or fully offgrid where possible.

I haven't heard the full story, i.e. exactly what the plans are just yet.

I'm guessing the suggestion of the QCA of pushing those with grid feed systems on to enforced TOU tariffs will really piss a lot of us off. :(
Kaco 6600

bpratt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Solar And Wind Power News