V3 Solar Spin Cell to be made in Australia

News, product developments and events occurring in the wind and solar power industry

V3 Solar Spin Cell to be made in Australia

Postby Keef Wivanef » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:21 pm

[Moderator - removed most of the post, which was a cut and paste from another forum]

A news article on the V3 was released today in Electronics News.
http://www.electronicsnews.com.au/news/ ... in-victori

Anybody seen Greg Watson the SunCube man?
I want my money :evil:
Keef Wivanef
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: V3 Solar Spin Cell to be made in Australia

Postby Tracker » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:00 pm

I would love to know how these are supposed to work...

Sounds like another brain dead concept like the Solar CUBE ...

Surely the available power from the sun is determined by the area of exposure... Hint Hint..!

is there something that I am missing...
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Keef Wivanef » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:45 pm

People can be SOoooo unkind!
http://metabunk.org/threads/1166-Debunk ... -quot-scam

Anybody seen Greg Watson?
I have some paperwork to serve on him :D
Keef Wivanef
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Tracker » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:37 pm

OK - so you have me confused.. you present this crap as a supposed good idea and point to the scam that backgrounds it..

We have discussed the stupid thing here previously and NO ONE has come forward to call us "Doubting Thomas's"

PS - My computer just WON'T open that site, so I suspect it finds it VERY QUESTIONABLE>>>

Perhaps you are saying the same thing... Just use your heads folks....

there is only so much sun light in a square meter, and you CANT amplify it to give more power..
You can use much larger devices to concentrate the power.. ie. lenses and mirrors, but ultimately it's a shonk..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:18 am

On their web site they claim it is about a meter high and a meter wide, they claim it is 24% efficient, they also claim it has concentrating lenses, and then they claim it will produce a peak of 1kW output.

It presents one half a square meter cross sectional area to the sun, so under the standard 1000W/m^2 radiation, and lets be generous and assume the sun is square on to the side of the cone, then at most it can intercept 500W of solar radiation, ignoring the fact that rays near the outside of the curve away from the sun will be reflecting significant amounts of light away from the internal solar cells. Concentrating lenses will not focus diffuse light from elsewhere in the sky, only direct rays, so minimal power will be produced from the parts facing away from the sun. In the provided pictures, the outer material is blue, so not much of the red light is likely to reach the cells, and it cant possibly be 100% transmitting for the light it does let through, further reducing the light reaching the PV cells. They claim that the light is concentrated by 20 times, which means that the light must be falling on PV cells that are 20 times smaller than the lens area. 20 X more power onto 1/20th the PV cell... 20 divided by 20 = 1, less the lens transmission losses, so no magical increase of power over a standard flat PV panel to be had there!

So, at best, and ignoring the losses: 0.5m^2 of PV cell, at 24% efficiency under 1000W/m^2 solar radiation is going to produce 1000/2*0.24 = 120W, rather short of the claimed 1kW.

The web site says construction cost is $1230, that is pretty close to $10/watt.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Keef Wivanef » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:30 am

The metabunk link is not dodgy as far as I can tell and it does a very good job of shooting the V3 down in flames.

Sorry to open a new thread on the V3 but what is news is that the scam has started up in Australia and is quite likely to get a grant from the government who seem unable to tell the difference between a genuine renewable energy start-up company and a cynical Green Widget Scam.

The SunCube got a half million dollar handout which enabled them to claim "strong support from the Australian government" and go on to claim victims around the world.
Greg Watson took the money and ran away.
Watch for this V3 fiasco to follow the same tried and tested business plan.

Here are the gentlemen behind the V3 Mildura factory

http://reneweconomy.com.au/2013/mixed-g ... dura-52560

http://silglobal.com/Board_of_Directors.htm

"His primary interests today is to benefit the less fortunate in the world and he has great interest in developing humanitarian projects in Asia and promoting economic development in the Pacific Island regions as well as in Africa."

Saving our small blue planet for our children's children etc :roll:
Keef Wivanef
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Tracker » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:59 am

OK - so it sounds like we are on the same wavelength..

It was the first link that my computer would not open.. I assumed that the internet security package was blocking it...

Thanks, Gordon, for the clear reasoning as to why it can't work..

I had a vague idea that THEY were designing it as a spinning top and suggesting that the spinning caused more solar collection...

I am soooooooo disappointed to hear that our Government gave money to the SunCube... It would be interesting to know who was involved in gaining the grant.....

PS... I did open it with the tablet and I clearly see their claim that spinning causes a greater collection surface for the given footprint..... and there are people who actually believe this.
Clearly, the only benefit is that the shape means that it is a passive tracker, and the spinning, might make it run a tiny bit cooler...

Pps - Electronics News. Obviously disliked my comments as they were deleted, moments after appearing..
The fact that this mob actually presented the article, makes you wonder what their motives are, apart from disguising scams as news...

Last edited by Tracker on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:39 pm

First, most solar panels are flat, which means they miss most of the sunlight most of the time. They only briefly face direct sunlight, unless expensive tracking systems are added. The Spin Cell is a cone:
The conical shape catches the sun over the course of its entire arc through the sky, along every axis. It’s built-in tracking.
The second problem: Solar panels produce much more energy if sunlight is concentrated by a lens before it hits the solar cell; however, concentrating the light also creates immense amounts of heat, which means that concentrating solar panels (CPV) require expensive, specialized, heat-resistant solar cell materials.
The Spin Cell concentrates sunlight on plain old (cheap) silicon PV, but keeps it cool by spinning it.

Once you see the presentation, you will be sold... :lol:
http://grist.org/business-technology/solar-power-cheaper-than-coal-one-company-says-its-cracked-the-code/

So - I think they are saying that ONLY that portion of cells, directly facing the Sun, are used to collect power.
One would have to assume they have achieved the impossible of something like an 80% Solar Conversion, but no, they admit that it uses standard PV technology..

A reviewer claimed...http://v3solar.com/technology/technical-review-by-bill-rever/
The essential characteristics of the design are:

1.Captures light from the full hemisphere of the sky to maximize the use of available insolation
2.Motion of the cell assembly provides cooling solving a fundamental problem of systems using concentration
3.The moving cell assembly can be used to produce an alternating current (ac) output directly without a traditional inverter
4.The cooling effect is sufficient to allow for the use of mass produced one sun cells available from hundreds of manufacturers globally
5.Enhanced efficiency is hypothesized via a “cascade effect” whereby cells retain and build some energy as they pass by the sequence of lenses
6.The system is self-contained and doesn’t require additional racking and mounting – it can be mounted directly to earth screws, poles or other low cost foundations.

While the final design has not been determined as yet, the ability of the spin cell to use standard cells under concentrated light provides a number of advantages.

The concentration of the sunlight improves both the production of the PV cells and the efficiency of the cells. Although normally one sun cells are not fully optimal for higher concentrations, current test data on the V3Solar Spin Cell shows 20X greater current production and an additional 20% higher voltage under 20X concentration during the dynamic spin. Using concentration also implies using substantially fewer PV cells per Watt of rated power or per kWh of output.

How can you review something that has no "Final Design"..

I wonder how they can concentrate the sunlight, without an external concentrator, or is the concentrator built in?? :idea:
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Solar And Wind Power News