GAS Fiasco.

A place to discuss non-renewable energy or green living related topics covered by other categories. Discuss anything you like (within reason) - just play nice y'all y' hear? :)

GAS Fiasco.

Postby GarnZ » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:59 am

There is no doubt electrical solar and wind energy will be able to be stored in the future.
Now we have this problem of “Gas”!
Do we think gas is absolutely required to source more energy, in the way of gas-fired turbines or is it necessary as a piped source for industry.
I’ve read Australian industry requires gas to continue as a viable and economic resource…. Is this true?
Let’s say its true!
Then our solution may be, to deny all domestic users of this commodity and leave it purely for industry.
All domestic users do not require gas.
We must forget the famous adage “but, I’ve always cooked with gas!”. This must come to an end in this crisis.

I have not done the statistics on what volume of gas could be saved, by diverting domestic gas to industrial gas and depriving of all householders of this service, perhaps it should be looked at!
Am I leaving out something? Am I over-simplifying a mammoth problem. BTW, I’m against fracking.
RegardZ.
Sydney ~ North facing Solar 2Kw system,12 x Suntelligence - 175watt Mono panels (2 strings of 6 panels). Orion SPG-360-2KO inverter, Connected to grid - 2/06/2010.
GarnZ
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: GAS Fiasco.

Postby lantern » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:46 am

How can there be a gas shortage when there are three gas export terminals being built in Gladstone.
They are just spinning us BS.
lantern
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:54 am

The big gas companies have overcommitted to export volumes, as there were good prices on offer, and they could extract it cheaply, and that's forced up local pricing to parity with export prices, making it one of the most expensive ways to generate electricity. Apparently some companies are making losses on the exporting at the moment, so they wont be paying income tax on it. I think the SA govt is throwing money away in spending $360,000,000 on a 250MW gas generator, that will only be used occasionally, even if they had the gas to run it.
How large a PV array + pumped hydro storage system, which could be used every day without producing pollution or destroying farmland, could you build for that cost?
However, in regards to the so-called gas crisis for domestic use, gas isn't very efficient for water heating or cooking in the house, so my advice is to disconnect and go all electric, maybe just keep the gas for the BBQ.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Bthree » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:31 am

GarnZ wrote:Then our solution may be, to deny all domestic users of this commodity and leave it purely for industry.

Don't forget Bottled gas ... Cars, BBQ, Camping, and a lot of domestic heating.
Network = Powercor .. Retailer = Origin .. Installed Christmas 2008
Latronics PV-1200 feed by 8xTrina TSM DC-01 .. 170watt = 1360watts DC in .. 1096watts AC out .. 5+years later 990watts ac out
Bthree
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby GarnZ » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:31 pm

Bthree wrote:Don't forget Bottled gas ... Cars, BBQ, Camping, and a lot of domestic heating.

Thanks Bthree, I did forget those items. I am being a bit harsh
1. Cars & buses , which ain't industrial connected, will have to convert back to diesel/ petrol. or be given three years to change vehicles.
2. BBQ's allowed (however may be a bit pricey in long term) Commecial eat- houses will be allowed.
3. Camping established sites. Maybe go soft on this?
4. Domestic heating... Phased out after 3 years (industrial use only). Won't be popular!

RegardZ.
Sydney ~ North facing Solar 2Kw system,12 x Suntelligence - 175watt Mono panels (2 strings of 6 panels). Orion SPG-360-2KO inverter, Connected to grid - 2/06/2010.
GarnZ
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby davidg » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:45 pm

Big difference between

LNG = Liquid Natural Gas this what is being exported.

LPG = Liquid Petroleum Gas by product from crude oil.

not in general use for houses etc, unless not connected to the reticulated gas system.
Hybrid & Off-grid Systems - You could store Sun to use later- I Do!
SELECTRONIC SPMC-482 7.5kW, 7.2kW's of Arrays

with AC-Coupled Grid-Connected Inverters,
1100Ah 48V Bank

Auto Backup Genset
PVOutput Stats

We Sparkys light up your life :)
davidg
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Off topic chatter