Slimy dam

A place to discuss non-renewable energy or green living related topics covered by other categories. Discuss anything you like (within reason) - just play nice y'all y' hear? :)

Slimy dam

Postby jimbo » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:05 pm

With all the heavy rain we had a few months back i was able to fill my dam up (around 1ML and 2.5m dep) however these last 2 weeks it has started to get a slight odor and get a green slime around the edges. The water is not green like bule green algae however its not as clear as it was 3 weeks ago. There is very little nutrients in there and only 1 sheep and 1 goat that feed around it.

Is there anything i can do? Should i circulate the water around with a fire pump? Should i scrape some of the slime off and dispose?

I noticed there there is still a couple of small trout in there from July when i stocked it with 30 or so.
jimbo
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: Slimy dam

Postby APR » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:52 pm

Here is a page with a bit of info you might find helpful...

https://www.coptrol.com.au/Coptrolspeci ... dams,.aspx
2 x Goodwe GW5048D-ES Hybrid inverters, 13kW panels, 20kWh LiFePO4
Mk2 PV Router feeding excess solar generation to a 3.6kW 250 ltr HWS
APR
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:46 pm

The algae will consume the Oxygen in the water, and trout need a fairly high level of dissolved Oxygen to survive, so you might lose them if it gets too bad. A couple of bales of barley straw usually clears algal blooms in my experience, I've done it a few times for my small dam.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby jimbo » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:16 pm

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:The algae will consume the Oxygen in the water, and trout need a fairly high level of dissolved Oxygen to survive, so you might lose them if it gets too bad. A couple of bales of barley straw usually clears algal blooms in my experience, I've done it a few times for my small dam.

How does the straw work?
jimbo
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:21 pm

The straw has anti-bacterial properties, which kills the blue-green algae, aka cyanobacteria.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby jules » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:19 pm

Long term I reckon you would be best off to establish a range of water plants with associated water animals [most of them will arrive naturally], though the goat might have a different opinion. Fencing dams off makes a huge difference to everything.
Primary system: .8KW Trina panels; Plasmatronics PL40; 1,000Ah VRLA 12X2V battery bank; 1.7KW Selectronic inverter

Veteran system, semi retired: 6 X 55W Solarex 12V panels; Fangpusun CC; 6 X 2V, 35 year old 550Ah lead acid flooded cell batteries.
jules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby jimbo » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:58 pm

I'm renting for another 12 months so wont be spending any more $$ here. The dam doesn't fill naturally so i know when i leave it will dry up.

Yesterday I used a plastic rake to grab as much as possible. The water is surprising clear and the smell is down 80%.

So will circulating and making a fountain with a pump do anything?
jimbo
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:20 pm

It will add Oxygen and increase evaporation, but it may not make much difference to the algae unless you can stop the nutrients getting into the water.
As Jules said above, getting some plants into it will help, by using up nutrients - mainly nitrates and phosphates.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby jimbo » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:24 pm

I'm not sure where nutrients come from. The dam was dead empty 3-4 months ago with a clay/sandy bottom and grass on the walls. It may have filled 15% from runoff bringing in some leaves but 85% has been from me pumping a flowing creek. The creek runs through a few properties but no farms that would use fertilizer.
jimbo
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:27 pm

1 sheep + 1 goat can do an awful lot of poo in a few months.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Next

Return to Off topic chatter