Water pumps

A place to discuss non-renewable energy or green living related topics covered by other categories. Discuss anything you like (within reason) - just play nice y'all y' hear? :)

Water pumps

Postby jules » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:12 pm

I'm considering replacing a 5hp Briggs and Stratton/Davey water pump I've had sitting up by my dam for 30+ years. It's permanently piped [is that the correct expression] in though it's not used regularly and can sometimes sit for a year without running. The water supply it supports is a syphon with about 10 metres head and 500m of 1.5" pipe. It's been reliable and durable and provided I can get the parts, it's probably good for a few more years work. It's also there in case of bush fires.

Anybody care to suggest a good replacement? Honda/Onga have been around forever and have a good reputation but I see there's quite a few other brands around that I'm not familiar with, though they might do a good job, as above. Reliability and durability rate higher than sheer performance but I don't need to get into anything at the diesel level given the engine won't get a huge amount of work.
Primary system: .8KW Trina panels; Plasmatronics PL40; 1,000Ah VRLA 12X2V battery bank; 1.7KW Selectronic inverter

Veteran system, semi retired: 6 X 55W Solarex 12V panels; Fangpusun CC; 6 X 2V, 35 year old 550Ah lead acid flooded cell batteries.
jules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: Water pumps

Postby jules » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:30 am

Pulled the pump out of the line, gave it a good going over in my "workshop" and it's running and starting as well as it ever has, so a new pump goes on the back burner.

I'm still intrigued though ... an ebay search came up with a Warton pump.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-WARTON-2 ... SwiONYKrKk

The pump looks good, as far as you can tell from photos and the company claims to be "100% Australian owned and operated". Given the difficulty of producing anything like this economically, in competition with China, Korea etc. I have to think it might not be Australian made.

Anyone know anything about this?

Jules
Primary system: .8KW Trina panels; Plasmatronics PL40; 1,000Ah VRLA 12X2V battery bank; 1.7KW Selectronic inverter

Veteran system, semi retired: 6 X 55W Solarex 12V panels; Fangpusun CC; 6 X 2V, 35 year old 550Ah lead acid flooded cell batteries.
jules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby new to solar power » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:55 am

Edisons are in Seven Hills Sydney and that bit might be Australian owned and operated but I don't think they have any Australian made items. I just checked the eBay listing you posted here and when you scroll down and look at the ID photo it says made in PRC.They work fine until it is stuffed and then for $219-00 including postage you get another one. Apprently this is the new way of life now and it does away with the handy man who can fix anything.
6000w solar. 2/80A Fangpusun charge controllers. 1/Genpower Inverter 6000w/18000w, 220w idle (ouch) for the workshop, 1/Tingen Inverter 6000/12000w, 24w idle for the house. 24/2v 1200ah OPzV Allgrand batteries. 1/Diesel Generator 53a 230v 50hz
new to solar power
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby jules » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:07 pm

Ah yes "PRC"! I saw it but failed to make a connection. Thanks.

Always hard to know what the level of quality is, though it looks like a Honda clone, given the OHV on the tappet cover.

jules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Off topic chatter