Garlic

A place to discuss non-renewable energy or green living related topics covered by other categories. Discuss anything you like (within reason) - just play nice y'all y' hear? :)

Garlic

Postby jimbo » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:00 pm

3 weeks ago I planted around 25 cloves of garlic and after a weeks or so 7 had sprouted. Today the sprouts are 15cm or more long and doing well but nothing else has come up. I decided to did down to see what was happening and the cloves that haven't sprouted have grown roots.
This has never happened in the past and have always had 100% success with them all sprouting within 1 week of each other. Do you think they will still grown ir should i hurry up and plant some more?
jimbo
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: Garlic

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:06 pm

Are they all the same variety? If there are roots on the slow ones, it shouldn't be too long before they put up shoots. It probably wouldnt hurt to put in a few more anyway, the worst that can happen is that you'll have to eat a bit more garlic ;)

That reminds me, I need to plant some more cloves into my aquaponics system!
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby jimbo » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:16 pm

I can't really remember but i have a feeling that i may have had some space and thrown in a couple of smaller cloves from a dfferen't variety in the last row which has no sprouts.
What conditions do garlic need to sprout? Mine have always been successful just planting and leaving.
jimbo
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:13 pm

It is said they are best planted when it is cooling down in autumn, I think the soil needs to be below a certain temperature for the bulbs to form. However, I planted some in my aquaponics system in spring, and they are good sized plants now, so it will be interesting to see how they compare with cloves I plant this week. The water keeps the grow beds cooler than soil would be, so that may have helped things a bit.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby jules » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:08 pm

I used to follow a rule of thumb that goes ... plant on the shortest day, harvest on the longest. I decided it was a bit too English though and here, you can plant them earlier and harvest earlier but given we've had such a long run of above average temperature I'd wonder if the garlic is still lying low and waiting for winter. If you leave something like Russian/elephant garlic in the ground permanently it will pop up when it chooses but so far I haven't seen any appear, so maybe that's some sort of sign.
Primary system: .8KW Trina panels; Plasmatronics PL40; 1,000Ah VRLA 12X2V battery bank; 1.7KW Selectronic inverter

Veteran system, semi retired: 6 X 55W Solarex 12V panels; Fangpusun CC; 6 X 2V, 35 year old 550Ah lead acid flooded cell batteries.
jules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Off topic chatter