Anyone built a Lithium jump starter

A place to discuss non-renewable energy or green living related topics covered by other categories. Discuss anything you like (within reason) - just play nice y'all y' hear? :)

Anyone built a Lithium jump starter

Postby jimbo » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:26 pm

I was just looking at a few Lipo single cell and 4 cell packs and was wondering if anyone has made a vehicle jump starter pack? There seems to be plenty for sale and thought it might be "fun" to build one with a few added power sockets and usb chargers on them as well as a bit more capacity.

Share your ideas :)
jimbo
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: Anyone built a Lithium jump starter

Postby Ray » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:55 pm

I have just in the last few days learnt about lithium batteries and gotta say i am on that Wow factor about them so light and so powerful.

Anyhow I have a car that has been sitting for a while so has flat battery, i put it on charge and went to mow the lawn. :idea: then it dawned on me wouldn't it be nice if you had a lithium battery jump starter.

So yes i would be very keen on knowing about anyones experience buying or making one ?

Ray
Ray
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby offgridQLD » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:40 pm

Well I have started my 3cyl diesel tractor from a tiny lithium cobalt cell not much bigger than a AA :lol: Took a video of it to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9dHHQ-FsTA

Yes a have a 10Ah headway pack 4 x 3.3v cells with a 175A Anderson plug on it that I use for jump starting normally.

Kurt
Offgrid 2008, Selectronic PS1 6kw/48v inverter, x 2 Midnite solar classic 150 MPPT, 3960w NE PV 24 x 165w BP panels, 4200w NW PV 21 x 200w DAQO PV, 16x400ah lithium.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby jimbo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:28 pm

Great video!!
jimbo
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Ray » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:38 pm

Now that is cool,

I wanted to see you try it without the decompression lever after you charged it as it look like it was going to do it almost the first time you tried when it was flat.

Can't wait to get some of these batteries to play with :D

Ray
Ray
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby offgridQLD » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:04 pm

The main reason I pulled the decomp was if I didn't the battery would have turned the output wires into vapor :lol: I wanted to still be able to use it on the model aircraft without having to solder new wires on it.

The cells them self will give up all there energy that fast that it exceeds the ability of the physical size restraints of what you can plug into them.

The wire insulation in a pure silicon rated to 260c :D

I found this out the hard way once when I still had the PTO engaged and a HD slasher attached (using a larger 5ah lipo) it started it still no prob without decomp and with the slasher engaged but the plug was welded solid and had to be cut off.

Kurt
Offgrid 2008, Selectronic PS1 6kw/48v inverter, x 2 Midnite solar classic 150 MPPT, 3960w NE PV 24 x 165w BP panels, 4200w NW PV 21 x 200w DAQO PV, 16x400ah lithium.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Jimbo007 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:59 pm

I purchased a lithium iron phosphate motor bike battery from a motor bike shop. Its rating is 14 Ah, cost $169. At first I thought I'd been sold an empty case as it is about the same weight you would expect the plastic case alone to weigh. The brand is SSB.
The first acid test it got was jump starting a neighbours car after the old jump start pack only managed to crank it for about 45 seconds. The car had been sitting for several years unused. The lithium bateery cranked it with significantly more gusto and started it after about one minute. The battery did not raise a sweat and remained cool.
I have since tried it on a friends compression start diedal genset. He said no way, it requites a 105Ah battery. Well it started within a few seconds. He was gobsmacked.
I can not wait until this kind of battery is available at a reasonable cost for off grid!
The self discharge is something like 1% p.a. !
Jimbo007
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby jimbo » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:05 pm

Sounds good. Realistically it sounds like you could scale it down even further if only starting a bike!
jimbo
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:27 pm

No need to wait.This kind of battery is and has been available for offgrid homes for some time and cost is comparable with qaiilty lead. I have 40ah lithium battery on my tractor that is identical to the 400ah lithium cells on my house ( just 10x smaller) that little 40ah bank has no trouble running a 12 ton electric winch pulling logs up the hill. It's the winch you have to worry about overheating not the battery.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:31 pm

We use a 20AH LiFePO4 battery in our old 2.8l diesel Hilux. If the engine is cold then it is pretty sluggish when you first try to start, but 2nd go it spins plenty fast enough to easily start. Keeping it cold in the engine bay is the main issue- I have it mounted inside a small esky in an attempt to protect it from the worst of the heat, but on a 40C plus day after driving and then parked on bitumen, I think it still gets pretty hot.
Lead acid batteries are quite inefficient at delivering high currents, which is why you need such a big one to start a vehicle, yet the energy used to start a vehicle is easily contained within a few AA sized cells, as demonstrated by the lightweight Lithium powered jump starters you can buy these days.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Next

Return to Off topic chatter