Anyone built a Lithium jump starter

A place to discuss non-renewable energy or green living related topics covered by other categories. Discuss anything you like (within reason) - just play nice y'all y' hear? :)

Re: Anyone built a Lithium jump starter

Postby offgridQLD » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:46 pm

Esky is a good idea. I think if I was going to run lithium as a cranking battery in a car, ute I would if possible try and move it out of the engine bay. A lot of cars already do this BMW, Volvo . I'm sure lithium or even lead would have a easier life not getting cooked all the time.

I have 80ah 8x 40ah calb cells as a 12v bank to go into my camper van to replace the 8 year old 100ah AGM that I started to fit up a few weeks ago. I spent some time to reprogramme the 20A Manson charge controller for lithium. I was surprised it actually had fully (adjustable absorb and float Voltage set points) so that part is all sorted.

Though It got me thinking I wouldn't mind still being able to get top up charges from the cars alternator like a did with the old agm battery. Though I'm not happy with the 14.6v it would see in doing so (3.65v). I started to think how I would go running the alternator feed into the PV charge controller to let that take full control of all input. Though unsure if it would limit the load/ charge rate to just 20A (I'm ok with that) or just keep taking all the alternator could feed and blow the 30a fuse.

I'm just not happy letting it see 3.65v pr cell as there isn't much headroom then if things get out of wack. 3.5v 14v would be better.

Kurt
Offgrid 2008, Selectronic PS1 6kw/48v inverter, x 2 Midnite solar classic 150 MPPT, 3960w NE PV 24 x 165w BP panels, 4200w NW PV 21 x 200w DAQO PV, 16x400ah lithium.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:07 pm

You could always put a 50A diode or 2 in series on the alternator output to the Lithium battery to drop the voltage a bit.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby offgridQLD » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:44 pm

That is a option . I was giving it some more thought. Another issue is the PV is also unregulated direct from the panel on that side input terminals of the SCC so I wouldn't want the 18v or so from the panel finding its way to my cranking battery that is effectively ending up on the same circuit if connecting the alternator output to the SCC input pv input.

dropping the alternator voltage at that point could end up being the best option.

Typically the issue with 2nd camper van house battery's is people not having enough voltage at the battery over that distance from the alternator. So there are lots of product out there (DC-DC chargers) to boost the voltage for lead cells.

Kurt.
Offgrid 2008, Selectronic PS1 6kw/48v inverter, x 2 Midnite solar classic 150 MPPT, 3960w NE PV 24 x 165w BP panels, 4200w NW PV 21 x 200w DAQO PV, 16x400ah lithium.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Jimbo007 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:09 pm

I still think they are expensive at the present considering I purchased 2x 12 volt 200 Ah AGM's for $300 each plus freight of $70 the pair. These are brand new and I wish I'd bought more but the budget didn't permit.
Jimbo007
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby offgridQLD » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:14 pm

200ah . So that's the same as two 60ah lithium banks .
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Jimbo007 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:18 pm

I'm in China at the moment and a friend's classmate from school has a lithium battery manufacturing plant. I hope to get some pricing on various banks although I have no idea what would be involved in getting them home.
Of course it would have to be sea freight with dangerous goods and all that.
Jimbo007
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby offgridQLD » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:25 pm

Shouldn't be to hard. I'm sure they have experience exporting them.

Though assuming they are large capacity lifepo4 prismatic cells. Lots of consumer electronic battery plants that only produce sub 5ah cells for phones, tablets and toys.

Worth looking into as it sounds like a good contact.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Jimbo007 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:49 pm

They also make battery bank for electric cars. Any requirement can be met.
Jimbo007
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby new to solar power » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:06 pm

Jimbo007 wrote:I'm in China at the moment and a friend's classmate from school has a lithium battery manufacturing plant. I hope to get some pricing on various banks although I have no idea what would be involved in getting them home.

To get your purchases back to Australia via sea freight isn't that difficult to do but there are a lot of steps to follow.
The last import that I did was about 8 pallets weighing approximately 4.5 tonnes, this was a mixed order from different suppliers and mainly from the Shangdong Provience China.Your friend should be able to organise your consignment to Sydney by seafrieght without any hiccups.
It would be advisable to use a forwarding agent here in Sydney because if you miss doing one of the steps required for Customs or the Port Botany facility this will mean a holdup with your consignment at Port Botany and this will cost you plenty of extra money.
I use Will Jacobs of http://brighton-le-sands.cylex.com.au/c ... 73937.html and find him helpful and he has a reasonable fee.
If you want to you get your consignment from Port Botany for yourself and that is ok, I have done this a few times now and in the end I found the easiest way to get my goods out of Port Botany was to get my goods delivered to (Central Coast)Tuggerah for a fee where I have the use of a friends factory and forklift.
Most importantely before you commit to buy in China is you need to check what your importing costs are going to be i.e. The AUD exchange rate to USD, Import Duties, GST, Customs fees and charges,Port Botany fees and charges and lastly the forwarding agents costs.
6000w solar. 2/80A Fangpusun charge controllers. 1/Genpower Inverter 6000w/18000w, 220w idle (ouch) for the workshop, 1/Tingen Inverter 6000/12000w, 24w idle for the house. 24/2v 1200ah OPzV Allgrand batteries. 1/Diesel Generator 53a 230v 50hz
new to solar power
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Jimbo007 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:32 am

Hi and welcome.
I am most grateful for the advice and might contact you privately when I'm ready to proceed for further guidance. Perhaps I'll wait until next time I'm here to order and do my homework back in Australia first.
Much appreciated.
Jimbo007
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic chatter