Off Peak Hot water in NSW

A place to discuss non-renewable energy or green living related topics covered by other categories. Discuss anything you like (within reason) - just play nice y'all y' hear? :)

Off Peak Hot water in NSW

Postby Duncan188 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:41 pm

Hi,

Not really an environmental related question but I'm hoping someone can help...

I recently moved into a shed as a temporary dwelling until I build my house. For hot water I had a second hand electric system fitted. When installing it, the electrician said that off peak was no longer an option and I've therefore been paying peak rates to heat the hot water (although I only switch it on for 2 hours a day, the cost is still considerable). From what I can see since doing some internet research, off peak is now no longer being phased out in NSW. Does this mean I could get the system switched over to off peak?

Of course I'd love to go solar or something else, but as the shed is a temporary measure I'm just looking for the cheapest option. Any help would be appreciated.
Duncan188
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Off Peak Hot water in NSW

Postby FarmerJohn » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:00 am

Urban or rural ?

What tariff are you on and what kind of meter do you have?

There are different kinds of methods by which you can end up paying different prices for electricity. One is if you are metered and charged according to the time of use (TOU), the other is if you have certain loads connected to a special circuit commonly shown on your bill as a "controlled load" (like hot water, slab heating, heatbanks etc)

If your bill has references to PEAK SHOULDER and OFF-PEAK then you are on TOU, and so long as this is where your hot water is connected, you just need to make sure you switch it on at the right time.

There are other more complicated set-ups but usually for larger installations. (I had four meters when I first moved in here (farm), but I had it all changed to time of use metering).
FarmerJohn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Duncan188 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:08 am

Thanks for that. My bill has no references to peak shoulder, off peak or controlled load. It just says 'peak'.
Duncan188
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Smurf1976 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:45 pm

In that case you are paying a single flat rate for all electricity consumed irrespective of time or what it is used for.

I'm not sure whether or not new off-peak installations are allowed in NSW these days, but if you switch to TOU (Time Of Use) metering then it's simply a matter of installing your own time to heat the water when electricity is cheapest. The downside, of course, is that the peak time rates are pretty steep with this method of charging.
Smurf1976
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby FarmerJohn » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:44 pm

Here is a good website that provides a summary of what is available in your area.

http://www.energymadeeasy.gov.au

Here is the current regulated prices list for NSW http://www.ipart.nsw.gov.au/files/34ab8 ... y_2013.pdf
FarmerJohn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Duncan188 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:58 pm

Ok thanks, I'll have a look at that site some more soon. There are certainly big differences with the rates on that price list. Does anyone know where I could find out about whether I can install off peak?
Duncan188
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Tracker » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:37 pm

It is all so very confusing with Government saying one thing and retailers seeming to do what they want..
You would think that anyone could request time of use accounts, but then that necessitates a TOU meter..

The obvious question to first consider is WHAT are you paying as a flat rate..
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Duncan188 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:08 am

The rate I'm paying is 31.29 c/kwh

My last bill had 2431kwh which I think a substantial amount is the hot water system as I don't have a lot of other appliances etc used. Hence I'm really keen to see if I can switch it to off peak.

I noticed I'm also paying a $119.21 'service to property fee' each bill. Does anyone know what the go is with this?
Duncan188
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:20 am

That $119 is the charge for the use of infrastructure to supply the electricity to your house. IE, the cost of not being off-grid with your own battery and other necessary gear ;) I can assure you that it is less expensive than being off-grid.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Tracker » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:01 am

31 odd is not cheap, but still more info needed.. like where are you..
You can naturally just log onto the retailer's sites and see what their plans are AND you can try to shop for a discount..
The other obvious comment is to search for a Solar HW system.. You could try gumtree or ???
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Next

Return to Off topic chatter