mobile phone signal booster

A place to discuss non-renewable energy or green living related topics covered by other categories. Discuss anything you like (within reason) - just play nice y'all y' hear? :)

mobile phone signal booster

Postby offgridQLD » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:36 pm

One negative of our off grid home is no mobile reception. well almost....

The reception ends about 1.5km from our house and it end quite sharply. Although on occasions I receive a random a text message in the house. If I sit my phone down in one spot for a little while it some times changes from no signal to SOS only.

So I guess its not a complete dead zone but close to it. I am with Vodafone and my wife is with Telstra both phones don't become active until we drive up the road 1.5km.

I wouldn't mind being able to take advantage of my phone plan as I have unlimited calls/text rather than have my phone sitting there as just a expensive alarm clock when at the off grid house. Using a land line is so expensive is like buying food at the airport after using a unlimited mobile plan.

Some people i spoke to today are living in a 5m high shed a few km down the road . They just built a extra 2nd level and told me today there mobiles now work on the 2nd floor. It got me thinking and I tried mine on the roof (about 7m off the ground) No real improvement. Actually I think it was worse than on the deck where I have SOS signal if I stand still for a while.

I did a bit of searching and come across this signal booster http://www.amplifyaustralia.com/product ... 0-Plus-3G/ not sure if it would fix my problem?

I have a little power booster for our digital tv . With it off zero reception and with it on we can receive all channels. So that has been a complete success .

Has anyone with marginal mobile reception been able to fix the issue and how?

Kurt
Offgrid 2008, Selectronic PS1 6kw/48v inverter, x 2 Midnite solar classic 150 MPPT, 3960w NE PV 24 x 165w BP panels, 4200w NW PV 21 x 200w DAQO PV, 16x400ah lithium.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: mobile phone signal booster

Postby bpratt » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:25 pm

That one won't be much good for Tel$tra, as they work on 850mhz and another one up higher if I remember right. So you'll need two of these repeaters.

What I'd be doing is getting hold of a cheap Optus reseller sim to see if you can get any Optus coverage, as sometimes that might be your best choice.

If that's not something you want to do, then you're going to need to climb up something rather tall, but near your house to see if you can actually get some half decent coverage. If you can't get any then that repeater ain't going to work for you.

If you do get some signal then you'll know how high you need to put the aerial up, and you might find a yagi pointed to the mobile tower will help pull that signal in.
Kaco 6600
26 x Trina Honey 250w panels. (wish I could work out how to upload to pvoutput.org)

New house build :-
http://bandlnewhomebuild.blogspot.com

My weather station :-
http://jimboombaweather.com
bpratt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:18 am

I have heard of a chap building a passive repeater, consisting of two yagi antennas back to back.

This assumes that you have access to a location, high enough to get a good signal in the first place.

It certainly worked for his applications.
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:43 am

I understand that you actually need some % of signal to be able to boost and repeat it.

I see it like this. Take our two cars for example. One has a areal on top the other has a areal built into the car from factory. The one with no areal can not pick up my radio station at all at our house. The car with the normal external areal works fine. Same with the TV when doing a scan with the booster off it doesn't pick up any stations at all . Turn the little powered booster on and we get all the channels with strong signal strength.

I understand if I was 1000km from the mobile tower there would just be 0% signal to receive in the first place and boost. But just 1.5km down the road I can get full 3g and my phone is showing about 80% signal strength. Like I said the signal is very very week at the house not enough to make phone calls but there is some kind of signal perhaps 5%

My thinking was that a better device might be receiving say a 50% signal where my phone struggles to get 5% signal. I could get a dual band booster but my wife plans to stitch to the same provider as me soon anyhow. Some of the older phones had a external antenna port .

Kurt
Offgrid 2008, Selectronic PS1 6kw/48v inverter, x 2 Midnite solar classic 150 MPPT, 3960w NE PV 24 x 165w BP panels, 4200w NW PV 21 x 200w DAQO PV, 16x400ah lithium.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby jimbo » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:22 am

You can buy the repeater from china with everything you need for $100 or so. Just make sure you get the right frequency. Telstra is 850mhz. I have one plugged into my tv antenna and works a treat. They are illegal so don't mention it to Telstra. Mine stays off and turned on when someone rings and signal goes from 0-1 bar to full.
jimbo
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:33 am

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NextG-CDMA-850-MHz-Repeater-Booster-Mobile-phone-Signal-Repeater-Amplifier-/321065434812?pt=AU_MobilePhoneAccessories&hash=item4ac0fdbebc&_uhb=1#ht_530wt_913

As mentioned, if you have NO signal strength, then there is minimal value in trying to repeat it..
That is why I questioned if there was a high spot , that DOES get a good signal strength..

Even a passive repeater - being two antennas - will have a LOSS, but being highly directional, and with high gain ( eg. 12dB ) , they MAY just make that difference.

My friend used to camp in a deep valley.
He had a pole and guy ropes and driving in, would set up the two yagi-antennas on the hill.
One pointed to town and the other DOWN to where his camp site was.
Passive would be good start IF you have a prominent hill to use - no power needed..
and - if it does not work, then an active repeater could be placed between them, with a suitable power supply..
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/16dBi-850MHz-Yagi-Antenna-Telstra-nextG-Vodafone-DC-HSPA-TS9-Patch-Lead-10m-Coax-/111005177361?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item19d86c9611&_uhb=1
here is a Single Frequency antenna -- two needed..

There just HAS to be similar ones for other bands..

If you have the hill and the real-estate, you could have pairs for every band..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby jimbo » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:21 pm

As ppl have mentioned they cannot repeat a signal that isn't there but I would be getting high up on your roof and seeing what is available with a good antenna. My colourbond roof and walls seem to block out most of the signal.
jimbo
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:08 pm

I guess the question is what will qualify as "some signal" I understand you cant pick up what isn't there. But I wonder if a mobile phone just dost have the sensitivity to grab hold and make use of the week signal. Like a small hand held FM radio with no areal VS a HIFI receiver plunged into your tv areal on your roof.

Try will try to relate it to something. I wonder if say my mobile was a metal detector that can pick up to a depth of 500mm and I'm getting some kind of very week vague reading as the object is right on the limit of the metal detector . Then say I come along with a metal detector that can detect down to 1000mm and I get a clear reading.

I had no improvement by standing on the roof even at the very peek standing up over 8m with phone in the air. Strangely enough the one place I was able to pick up and send text messages one weekend was on the window seal above the front door . I could type the text message then place my phone up there only if i walked away from the phone 20 seconds later I would hear the sent message noise.If i held onto it or stood next to it it wouldn't work. Looking at the phone there was no bars on the signal gauge I think it just said SOS only.

unless I purchase a toy drone helicopter thing and fly my mobile 100m in the sky so the message can send :lol:

Its just a pain in the bum when a friend sends a text invite to or asking me if I can help with something and I get it the next afternoon 1km from my house on the way to town :roll: .

I might just try the booster repeater and plug it into our tv areal for a start. And try some more experiments (up trees :lol: ) as to a location where i could even get one bar signal but I don't like the chances.

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:46 pm

The brand and model of phone has a big effect on whether or not you can use your phone. I changed from T to O, with Southern Phone last year, and at the same time bought a Motorola RAZR, since it had the best low signal area reception in the Choice tests, and now I have no problem with reception at home, despite the tower being nearly 50km away, line of sight. Previously I had to go wandering around the paddock looking for signal, and calls still frequenty dropped out, despite sometimes showing 4 or 5 bars.
I use the Network Signal Info Pro widget to see what my signal level (mobile and wifi) is.

I still sometimes don't see SMSs for days after they are sent, and some never arrive at all, but then I get others 5 or 6 times, a day or 2 after they were sent, it is so unreliable as to be completely useless!
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby jimbo » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:47 pm

I also got good reception out of one of the windows that was obviously facing a tower somehere and initially just stuck the antenna provided to one of my gutters and it worked great. You may need to add your own, more powerful antenna.
jimbo
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Next

Return to Off topic chatter