mobile phone signal booster

A place to discuss non-renewable energy or green living related topics covered by other categories. Discuss anything you like (within reason) - just play nice y'all y' hear? :)

Re: mobile phone signal booster

Postby APR » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:19 am

Kurt, I am not sure that the tower you have 10.3km from you has any mobile systems on it at all. The Telstra 854.5MHz and 930.5MHz frequencies appear to me to be for point to point communication, not for mobile communication, and they are the only Telstra frequencies that are anywhere near what is the mobile spectrum.
2 x Goodwe GW5048D-ES Hybrid inverters, 13kW panels, 20kWh LiFePO4
Mk2 PV Router feeding excess solar generation to a 3.6kW 250 ltr HWS
APR
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Bthree » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:39 am

If yo want to spend $720.00 Telstra has this ..https://www.telstra.com.au/my-offer-sum ... ntenna.pdf
Network = Powercor .. Retailer = Origin .. Installed Christmas 2008
Latronics PV-1200 feed by 8xTrina TSM DC-01 .. 170watt = 1360watts DC in .. 1096watts AC out .. 5+years later 990watts ac out
Bthree
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:58 am

Even on the improved photo, I cant make out any mobile phone antennae, but it isn't quite clear enough to be sure, and I agree with APR's comment above.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby karrak » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:17 pm

This ACMA webpage http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/site_proximity.main_page should enable you to find out details about what that transmitters there are at that site

Simon
Off grid 24V system, 6x190W Solar Panels, 32x90ah Winston LiFeYPO4 batteries installed April 2013
BMS - Homemade Battery logger https://github.com/simat/BatteryMonitor
Latronics 4kW Inverter, homemade MPPT controller
karrak
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby offgridQLD » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:40 pm

Well that clears it up then. It's a tower with coms on it but if none of them are of any use to me and my mobile phone or internet needs.

Oh well good to clear it up and learn something.

The Telstra mobile signal I can just get at my kitchen window most likely isn't from a tower that I have direct line of sight to or I would have spotted it.

As long as the NBN tower location they pick is in the valley below some where as the proposed locations suggest .Then I will be happy if its direct line of sight and to not much distance.

As this isn't to thrilling to share between 3 people :lol: actually I'm socked that is streamed 720p without buffering
Offgrid 2008, Selectronic PS1 6kw/48v inverter, x 2 Midnite solar classic 150 MPPT, 3960w NE PV 24 x 165w BP panels, 4200w NW PV 21 x 200w DAQO PV, 16x400ah lithium.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Monkeytom » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:19 pm

Kurt when I was out west working on the Gas we had many occasions when there was poor or no comms thru a mobile, one day I went outside to make a call and no signal, Yet there was a guy next to me talking on his phone, I asked what gives and he showed me how to turn off the Automatic network seek feature in my phone and low and behold signal and I could make calls,
First you could try that,
the next thing is to get an outside antenna and give that a go as has been mentioned to know what frequency and band your provider is on will make a huge difference.
a Yagi (directional) antenna will be best but needs to be cut for the right frequency and pointed in the right direction,
I used to use a Samsung flip phone with an external antenna port, plug the yagi antenna in and move it around looking for the most reception bars on your phone easy.
The unit I had in the end was the best but illegal here but worked a treat, I bought it from the states on ebay and it cradled my iPhone no wires it rf coupled between the phone and the unit it had an outside magnetic mount antenna and plugged into the cigarette lighter socket,made by Wilson called a Sleek be careful you get the right model frequency wise I could have sold a 100 BUT they are illegal but work well.
watch out for the Chinese repeaters I knew someone that got one and they got into trouble with Telstra.
The 850 CDMA network has been shut down what a shame. like the old Analogue network it had legs.
these digital modes we have now are shyt, they could be good but the carriers chose to limit bandwidth
two fifths of five eights of nothing and most are happy with that, I listen to Macca on sunday morn and the call quality has gone down the toilet over the years, dropouts and really bad quality calls Thanks phone companys.
Monkeytom
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby offgridQLD » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:49 am

Perhaps just a coincidence but some odd signal behavior today.

Woke up today and my daughter mentioned that there was no TV reception. Complaining that the only channel to work was the ABC channels. I made the joke to her that that's fine as we can just watch ABC news 24 all day ...didn't go down to well.

I wasn't to fussed as every now and then (a few times a year for a few hrs) we get a period where a few channels will show no signal. It would happen in the evening just for a few hrs. Then later that night or the next morning it's all back to normal with a perfect signal.

I just put it down to certain atmospheric conditions or a thunder storm between us and Brisbane.Jumping on BOM usually showed a storm between us. Typically the reception is very solid on all channels and the above issue was a rare event.

What made today different was the mobile reception. I noticed my phone was showing low 82 to 87 for the reception strength. about 4 out of 5 bars. I looked at my wife's phone and it was showing full 5 bars. It's never shown this before the signal strength is typically 104 at best and 107 - 112 average (about 1 bar)

Then a short time later as we were marveling at out new found signal strength. Then I noticed my phone was then showing no signal at all. The phone signal came back on again but to it's normal 107 signal strength. Then 20 min later all the digital TV channels started to work again.

Perhaps Telstra were messing about with things . Not sure if it was having a impact on the digital TV reception or just a coincidence. Though it's odd to have the TV reception issue in the day time on a clear, windless day with no storm activity.

Was nice to see 82 (4 bar) signal strength even if it was short lived :lol:
Offgrid 2008, Selectronic PS1 6kw/48v inverter, x 2 Midnite solar classic 150 MPPT, 3960w NE PV 24 x 165w BP panels, 4200w NW PV 21 x 200w DAQO PV, 16x400ah lithium.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Previous

Return to Off topic chatter