mobile phone signal booster

A place to discuss non-renewable energy or green living related topics covered by other categories. Discuss anything you like (within reason) - just play nice y'all y' hear? :)

Re: mobile phone signal booster

Postby offgridQLD » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:14 pm

I did have a booster for Telsta (mobile wasn't through Telstra but used there network) Yes it worked but the bad thing is Every time you use it you srew up every body's signal that is using that tower. Making it week or even cut off all together. Once I found that out I decided to take it down VS being a selfish p***k. Not to mention they will track it down and tell you to get rid of it or potentially impose hefty penalty.

If there are other methods that are genuinely legal and not crazy expensive I might be interested.

Kurt
Offgrid 2008, Selectronic PS1 6kw/48v inverter, x 2 Midnite solar classic 150 MPPT, 3960w NE PV 24 x 165w BP panels, 4200w NW PV 21 x 200w DAQO PV, 16x400ah lithium.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Ray » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:58 am

All of the repeaters on eBay are illegal and you can get fined something like $10,000 if caught using them.

Here is the only legal one that i know of,

http://telcoantennas.com.au/site/catalo ... eater-kits

Ray
Ray
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby jules » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:08 pm

Yes, agree with you Ray that some form of antenna is the best option but reading the info on the Telco models, it appears that it's basically an antenna with a window mounted repeater which has the same send-receive strength as a phone so all the gain comes from the antenna. @ $1,000+ they don't look like great value though the "coverage unit" gives you a cordless, normal mobile phone within a limited range.

If you can put up with a phone that's tethered to an aerial these:

http://www.laser-antenna.com/product.php?product_id=63

give good gain and reception in fringe areas. The ideal might be to find a reasonably priced "coverage unit", which does little more than any other cordless phone base, to link the aerial to the phone.

Jules
Primary system: .8KW Trina panels; Plasmatronics PL40; 1,000Ah VRLA 12X2V battery bank; 1.7KW Selectronic inverter

Veteran system, semi retired: 6 X 55W Solarex 12V panels; Fangpusun CC; 6 X 2V, 35 year old 550Ah lead acid flooded cell batteries.
jules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Ray » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:50 pm

Yes i know i thought the same to expensive, but the plus side of it you can have many phones getting service and not just the one your antenna is attached to, also if you have people visiting they will have service as well.

But as usual convenance cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Hence why i have an antenna for the internet and i will be getting another one set up on a phone for calls.

Ray
Ray
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby offgridQLD » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:04 pm

All of the repeaters on eBay are illegal and you can get fined something like $10,000 if caught using them.

My thinking is it was more like $250,000 Not likely that they would go down that path for personal use system but if you ignored their warning they could.

If you get ADSL you can have your mobile through that. In our area we virtually have zero mobile reception (you will get the odd text standing outside in some positions ) but it will never show any bars on your phone at all and you wont get the odd text if you have the phone in your hand. So its a super weak signal virtually nothing.

The funny thing is we have ADSL2 (that's faster in that location than our house in the city just 2km from the exchange :roll: ) TV reception is perfect to.

I think for now just giving things time is my plan forward. The mobile network is only going to need to improve to meet demands of modern tec. At some point we will have a improved signal without having to purchase a aftermarket device.

Kurt
Offgrid 2008, Selectronic PS1 6kw/48v inverter, x 2 Midnite solar classic 150 MPPT, 3960w NE PV 24 x 165w BP panels, 4200w NW PV 21 x 200w DAQO PV, 16x400ah lithium.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby bookie » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:40 am

I use Telstra adsl modem for my PC and you can jig your android (or Iphone) to run off the modem in settings/wifi. thus when at home I use my Pc 100 Megabyte plan and not the 1 megabyte plan on the phone (which previously I often exceeded). thus you are using copper wire for your phone and not the Telstra tower. I would imagine when broadband is installed , the reception will be superior although the adsl response is excellent. I also run my tablet off the modem.
bookie
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby offgridQLD » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:10 pm

Yes using your home fixed line modem/wifi network on all your mobile divices is the smart thing to do.

I once let my wife use my phone as a wifi hot spot on her iPad but for some reason she was still connected to it when we got home. Thinking she was on the home modem watching utube as my phones 4gb got stripped to nothing.

Seeing how stable and fast the ping is on my adsl connection now that the copper connection is solid. Makes me think just how many homes out there are suffering sub par speeds and stability due to corroded connections. Because it's still working (all be it slow ) they don't bother fixing it until it's so bad it dosn't work at all. The guy who came out to fix my connection said there is no reason why everyone on our street shouldn't be getting 17mbps if there homes internal connection is good. Though the street varies from 3mbps to 17mbps as all the connections on hub out on the road are in variouse stages of decay. They just fix them on a one on one basis. Some might not have been touched for many years. Most people don't know they can get a lot better or they do and have had no luck getting there provider to book a mantanance person.

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:51 pm

Speaking of ping times, I ran the diagnostics to a work computer yesterday and pings averaged over 900ms, worst was 1960ms! Latency was around 500ms too, if I was an online gamer, I'd be stuffed!
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby offgridQLD » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:04 pm

900-1900 ping !

Best I get in the city is arund 10 avarage now is about 12.

The offgrid house is always 30 and dosnt seem to change.

Like I mentioned in another thread this[url].https://www.isoc.org/inet97/proceedings/F5/F5_2.HTM[/url] will be the answer to remote coms.

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby davidg » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:23 pm

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:if I was an online gamer, I'd be stuffed!

He He ................ :lol: :lol:
Hybrid & Off-grid Systems - You could store Sun to use later- I Do!
SELECTRONIC SPMC-482 7.5kW, 7.2kW's of Arrays

with AC-Coupled Grid-Connected Inverters,
1100Ah 48V Bank

Auto Backup Genset
PVOutput Stats

We Sparkys light up your life :)
davidg
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic chatter