No rain / lots of rain / weather in general

A place to discuss non-renewable energy or green living related topics covered by other categories. Discuss anything you like (within reason) - just play nice y'all y' hear? :)

No rain / lots of rain / weather in general

Postby offgridQLD » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:27 pm

How is every one doing around the country regarding rain fall lately.

Our average long term rain fall for Jan is 290mm we haven't even got 1/10th of that(28mm) and its almost the end of Jan. last year we got 560mm in Jan . Its looking very dry.

Tanks are both full but only because we have a large roof area.

At least the leaches have gone into hiding.

kurt.
Last edited by Gordon-Loomberah on Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited subject to better match ongoing content
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: No rain

Postby Smurf1976 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:00 pm

Rain?

That's the wet stuff that falls from the sky, right? Haven't seen any of that around here lately...

A couple of weeks ago it was 42 degrees and stayed around that for several hours. That's ridiculously hot by Tasmanian standards where 25 is considered quite warm. Suffice to say that the place was already very dry and that heat plus the wind and very low humidity that came with it got rid of whatever moisture remained. End result = out of control fires and houses destroyed etc.

I'm doing fine personally although the trees in nearby bush have started to die. A few have gone already and no doubt there will be more if it doesn't rain soon. Needless to say, the creek has dried up completely.

Animals are on the move too. I counted 6 wallabies out the front the other night and there are quite a few blue tongues around too. They're coming in from the bush looking for water I'd expect. They're not a problem, just as long as they don't bring any snakes with them.

A friend is on tank water. They've got about 47,000 litres of it when the tanks are full but they're only about a third full now. I'm not sure how long that will last, but obviously some rain would be nice.

As for the solar panels, I was up on the roof (I'm about to install the 3rd set of panels :D ) and had a look at the 16 panels that are already there. They're all clean apart from one which has animal footprints on it. What sort of animal I'm not sure, but something's been up there on the panels as well as on the corrugated plastic roofing over the patio. I'll give it a clean when I'm up there again on the weekend.
Smurf1976
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:23 pm

In QLD we should get the bulk of our rain over J-F-M but not this year. I could be wrong but I get a feeling that its building up as to even get 1/2 the average rainfall its going to have to come down all at once.

After the two years of more than average rainfall around 3000mm last year the area is thick with vegetation that drying out . I was think we did ok to get through the end of winter (our dry time) without any fires and I was counting on the rain will come and it will get all green again , hasn't happened.

My solar panels are so dirty you could grow grass on them :lol: but surprisingly they still perform fine.

we use around 300lt a day in our city house (not sure what we use in the off grid house most likely the same. we have 40,000lt in two tanks. Going to put another 20,000lt on the shed just for the garden.

Have to see if we get some of the washout from the cyclone up north.

We haven't had the 45 deg heat of some of the inland and southern areas more like 35 - 36 but the heat stress factor that takes into account humidity and other factors shown a (feels like temp) of over 45 deg.

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby bpratt » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:57 pm

Well consider yourself lucky with 28mm so far... we've had a grand total of 3.2mm so far this year!

We're on water tanks that are starting to get down a bit now, so are hoping on some of that 'liquid sunshine' making its way down the coast from FNQ.

Last month we got 53.8mm and a annual total of 956mm, which is down a bit on normal.
bpratt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:11 pm

Funny isn't it we are only 130km north but the weather/ rain can be so isolated.

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:48 pm

Only 7mm here this month, it's been well below average since August, so our tanks are getting disturbingly low and we've abandoned the vegie garden, apart from the rhubarb and asparagas, which would take too long to get established again, so they get a bit of hand watering to stop them dying like everything else has. A few 40-41C days this month are the hottest I've had here in over 20 years, having never previously seen over 38C.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby offgridQLD » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:47 am

We have a few tomato plants that turned up by surprise that get a regular hand watering and are doing well as long as we keep the watering up.The two banana plants I planted last year in what is usually boggy area for them to thrive over the wet season has needed watering to.

At this stage I am trying to take advantage of the dry and get all the jobs done that I will kick myself for not doing while the ground once its all wet again. Trenching- landscaping, flushing out pipes and gutters, jobs on the roof and so on. Its a battle though between being to hot and sticky outside to went to be there doing them.

It will be interesting to see what the total rainfall numbers are by the end of the year.

Its interesting to read logs from our local weather station from January last year :lol:
In the previously ten days when 777mm of rain fell the taking of weather observations was a miserable affair!

We will be lucky to get that all year LOL

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby jimbo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:01 pm

Consider yourself lucky. We have had very little rain for the last 2 months after a pretty good winter. The start of December our tanks were full and I was even able to water all of the trees on the property during those 40 degree days. However we have registered under 1mm for jan and used nearly half of our remaining water in the bush fires. We have around 10,000L total in 2 tanks out of 50,000 but still have one x 25,000L tank shut off for reserve! We have a large catchment so 60mm of rain would fill us back up.
jimbo
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby CaptK » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:02 am

3 mm for Jan, but you've got to expect that living on the edge of desert country, still, heaps of Sunshine, up to 49 C days and then a 15 - 20 degree drop late in afternoon, time to put a jumper on.

Love it.
CaptK
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby offgridQLD » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:03 am

I grew up on a farm in SA So know the weather down there well. At times i miss the dry heat as its easier to stay cool in the shade.The cool nights a welcome contrast to a hot day. I don't miss the winters though.

It's funny calling back home and being told "we have had a ton of rain this week" Then when I ask how much its like 50mm. We get that in 1hr storm :lol:

The ground down there is just so fertile though. If you can get water on it things they grow well. We get a little to much rain and it washes all the nutrients out of the top soil and into the secondary layer.

I was actually able to make it rain yesterday (only 5mm or so) All I had to do was take a trailer load of uncovered furniture From the city to the off grid house :oops: . I'm sure that storm cloud was chasing me at 100kmh :lol:

Was just enough rain to wet my furniture and then the sun came out and made it all hot and humid.

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Next

Return to Off topic chatter