Rain water tank options

General tips, questions and answers about going green in your home and business. Achieve a more environmentally friendly lifestyle!

Rain water tank options

Postby offgridCBR » Mon May 23, 2016 5:08 pm

Hi everyone,

I have been exploring lined colorbond tanks as we are in the edge of a bushfire zone, but have read of some potential issues with the plastic linings. Apparently they used to have BPA and potentially have a similar/untested replacement as a UV stabiliser. They are coming in around 13k for a 130,000L tank.

This has made me start looking at stainless steel (appear to be >6k for 40,000L) and concrete (23k) due to potential health concerns. Has anyone else explored this? Was also thinking that having two to three stainless talks would enable me to clean them out every few years without losing storage.

Thanks
offgridCBR
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Rain water tank options

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon May 23, 2016 6:51 pm

offgridCBR wrote: Apparently they used to have BPA and potentially have a similar/untested replacement as a UV stabiliser.

I'm not sure where that info comes from, but from the manufacturer, see here:
http://www.bluescopesteel.com.au/litera ... ater-tanks

""The polymer film is not resistant to ultraviolet light (UV) and as such should not be exposed to sunlight.

The polymer film is a 200µm thick, food grade material manufactured in accordance with Australian
Standard AS2070-1999, Plastic Materials for Food Contact Use"

I would think that there is no UV stabiliser in it, as it is not supposed to be exposed to UV radiation/sunlight. As for BPA, I don't know- they don't mention it, but neither do most plastic container manufacturers mention it, only its absence!

I've been drinking water from a galvanised tank here for about 20 years (and occasionally from other gal tanks elsewhere for many years prior to that), and also from an aquaplate tank here for about 10 years, and seem to be surviving so far ;) I also store excess in poly tanks, and have been drinking water from them as well for the past 10 years or so. Stainless steel tanks would be nice, except for the $$!
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby australsolarier » Tue May 24, 2016 4:05 pm

there is no above ground water tank that takes a bush fire. (a fire burning down the whole house). if you want to make the water tank bush fire proof, you need to position it underground.
just to give you an idea how hot fires can get, some people were boiled to death inside water tanks.
or dresden after the fire bombing, swimming pools were still boiling 3 days after the event. (i have been told this by a person that was in dresden during the fire bombing)
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Smurf1976 » Tue May 24, 2016 8:22 pm

If you're worried about tank materials and health issues then also make sure that anything else in contact with the water isn't a problem.

There was a company a few years ago that manufactured some nice stainless steel tanks and sold them to people concerned about plastic etc. Just one problem - they foolishly soldered the tanks with lead and in due course the issue came to attention with the Health Department warning people to not drink water from them since the lead concentration had been measured as unacceptably high in some instances.

Just beware of traps like that.
Smurf1976
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridCBR » Tue May 24, 2016 8:29 pm

Yeah I read about those tanks in Tasmania. So stupid. Apparently a lot of flashing has lead in it also. Still a little worried about all the plastics...
offgridCBR
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Return to Living Green