Recommend a welder please

General tips, questions and answers about going green in your home and business. Achieve a more environmentally friendly lifestyle!

Recommend a welder please

Postby notanothername » Sat May 07, 2016 1:12 am

Hi
I have a latronics ls 5048 inverter
I am looking to do some minor arc welding. (too heavy for a mig, but infrequent)

I have purchased an inverter arc welder from bunnings (weldcorp) but it did not work. The draw power was too erratic for the inverter to handle and it made the lights in the house flicker dramatically even though the load limit of the inverter was not exceeded or even approached.

I contacted latronics and they said suggested an inline capacitor which I tried, but it did not make any difference. They could not offer a brand or welder suggestion. However their website does state that the inverter can handle welders.

Since the limit of the inverter is just over 20 amps, an imax of less than that is needed. The weldcorp one is around 15, but as stated before, its power draw is erratic.

A straight welder will not work, because the minimum imax of a 140amp arc non-inverter welder is almost 30 amps. This would limit me to less than 5 second runs.....

Does anyone have any experience and recommendations for an inverter arc welder or brand of welders that might work?

Thanks
notanothername
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Recommend a welder please

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sat May 07, 2016 6:54 am

Firstly, welcome to the Energy Matters Forums :)

I use a UniMIG 165A inverter welder, which does both MIG and stick welding, currently with an LS7048, but previously used it with both an LS3024 and LS4024 with no problems. There may be a little light flicker when starting a weld, but I'm sure I would have heard about it if it was severe. I've done some large projects such as solar trackers and an 11m long ramp at the front of the house, and have had a few inverter thermal overload cut outs in hot weather with the smaller inverters, but have also had them with the welder when operating from the 4kW Latronics and exceeding the welder duty cycle rating.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby davidg » Sat May 07, 2016 12:21 pm

notanothername wrote:Hi
I have a latronics ls 5048 inverter
I am looking to do some minor arc welding. (too heavy for a mig, but infrequent)

I have purchased an inverter arc welder from bunnings (weldcorp) but it did not work. The draw power was too erratic for the inverter to handle and it made the lights in the house flicker dramatically even though the load limit of the inverter was not exceeded or even approached.

What's the battery pack capacity connected to it and configuration? Pic would be handy
Hybrid & Off-grid Systems - You could store Sun to use later- I Do!
SELECTRONIC SPMC-482 7.5kW, 7.2kW's of Arrays

with AC-Coupled Grid-Connected Inverters,
1100Ah 48V Bank

Auto Backup Genset
PVOutput Stats

We Sparkys light up your life :)
davidg
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby notanothername » Sat May 07, 2016 3:58 pm

Thanks for the reply guys

What's the battery pack capacity connected to it and configuration? Pic would be handy

Im running 8 trojan t105r with 225 Ah 48 volts pulling from a 1000 watt panel array into a tristar charger then to the latronics

the setup currently runs a fridge. but we have power points set up all around for tools.
notanothername
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby davidg » Sat May 07, 2016 8:58 pm

notanothername wrote:Im running 8 trojan t105r with 225 Ah 48 volts

Size in "mm2" or AWG if one must use American sizing of the cable to the Latronics please and the size of the interconnections between each battery? if you ahve any shunts the currents rating/s of them/it, size of the fuse/s & type? ie HRC fuses, etc.

1100Ah 48V Bank

Auto Backup Genset
PVOutput Stats

davidg
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby notanothername » Sat May 07, 2016 9:47 pm

davidg wrote:
notanothername wrote:Im running 8 trojan t105r with 225 Ah 48 volts

Size in "mm2" or AWG if one must use American sizing of the cable to the Latronics please and the size of the interconnections between each battery? if you ahve any shunts the currents rating/s of them/it, size of the fuse/s & type? ie HRC fuses, etc.

Honestly dont know the size of the ones into the inverter. Latronics supply them hard wired into the inverter. The ones to the triforce are oversized to buggery and back. I went to an auto supply place and bought the largest cables I could fit through the holes (maybe awg 3/0) Its been a while so I cant find the docket.

Connections between the batteries are hard fixed with 5mm steel bar that I pre-drilled and sized.

I can take a drive and measure the external diameter of the latronics cables tomorrow if it will help, but I imagine that their sizing is reasonable

No shunts.
notanothername
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby davidg » Sat May 07, 2016 11:41 pm

notanothername wrote:Connections between the batteries are hard fixed with 5mm steel bar that I pre-drilled and sized.

5mm x ?? Steel is a terrible material to use to interconnects even though it conducts it has high resistance compared to copper unless its a LOT larger (in area) diameter of cable is not all the useful it's the area of the material that counts otherwise it's nearly impossible calculate voltage drop or resistance or both. If you must use steel then it must used with an anti-oxide grease which generally also has a certain type metal conductive grit in it to ensure that good connection is maintained and the connection will not oxidise, it must also be a lot larger in area compared to copper, to ensure absolute minimum voltage between batteries, preferably only a couple of micro-volts per link under load. AL is vastly superior provided you use "Aluminox".

It's quite possible you may a poor connection, I'd be checking that first and seriously consider replacing steel with something more suitable "copper" of proper sized area in mm2.

The last lot of Trojans I used for an off-grid system, I used 95mm2 XLPE with lugs on each end (150mm total length) for interconnections to ensure inter-battery resistance was kept to minimum and to maximise current transfer. The cables to the inverter were 50mm2 but quite short the system runs a house and does run a mig or arc welder with no problem not both at the same time though, the inverter is not big enough to that.

1100Ah 48V Bank

Auto Backup Genset
PVOutput Stats

davidg
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun May 08, 2016 8:28 am

I think the inverter cables are 50mm^2, but as David said, the steel battery interconnectors are a problem. Copper busbar is really not that expensive, and will result in a big improvement in performance.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby notanothername » Sun May 08, 2016 1:31 pm

Thanks guys

Whilst I do not think that the battery is the problem here, but the waveform of the weldcorp welder, Im quite willing to change to copper bus bars. Im a bit far away from everything, but ill try to find some copper bar. The scrap yard I go to may have some. He definitely has aluminium in significant quantity.

I know a good place to get cable and connectors, so I could use that as interconnects, but I like the rigidity of the bars.

The battery setup is not the best and Ill be building a building specifically for the batterys when i save up enough to get a set of edison batteries.

The reason I think the weldcorp is the problem and not the draw is because prior to that I used a non inverter standard welder (really old and shitty, no dial, just select plugs at low, med or high) Both welders weld fine with no apparent problem (other than the big one is a pita to use) But the overload lights come on with the old one and the latronics does not complain with the weldcorp one.

I use fluro lights inside, and they flicker in a very rapid way and very intensly when using the weldcorp. I have never seen any flicker like it. This makes me believe that the waveform is to blame. Also, latronics engineer said that he has seen that problem with the waveform before.

As a side note, if i cant source copper bar locally, any ideas where I could get some and have it shipped at a reasonable price?
notanothername
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun May 08, 2016 2:00 pm

notanothername wrote:... get a set of edison batteries.

As in Nickel Iron batteries from Iron Edison? You'd have to be careful with the voltage range causing LVD or HVD with your inverter.

Any electrical wholesalers should have copper bar.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Next

Return to Living Green