EnvirOmower no more?

General tips, questions and answers about going green in your home and business. Achieve a more environmentally friendly lifestyle!

EnvirOmower no more?

Postby Eepoonioo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:40 pm

My mum's old EnvirOmower - the Australian-invented one that was so popular several years ago - needs a new battery, and apparently (so she says) they aren't sold anymore. Is that true, or can one still obtain them somewhere? Many thanks!
Eepoonioo
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: EnvirOmower no more?

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:46 pm

Welcome to the Energy Matters Forums Eepoonioo :)

Do you have any details of the original battery- voltage, AH and physical dimensions?
I'm sure it can be replaced with a similar one, perhaps even a Lithium battery.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby offgridQLD » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:27 am

They use two 12v sealed lead acid batteries a drop in replacement is a TPH12100 12V 10A dimensions 151Lx112Hx65W. Example http://www.everybattery.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=PS12100

You will need a torques screwdriver to open up the plastic yellow battery box that houses the two 12v batterys.

Should be able to just take the old cells into a battery shop and get the direct replacements...or purchase online.

Alternatively as Gordon mentioned you could replace the two lead acid cells with a 24v lithium battery if your handy and can retrofit it.

Kurt
Offgrid 2008, Selectronic PS1 6kw/48v inverter, x 2 Midnite solar classic 150 MPPT, 3960w NE PV 24 x 165w BP panels, 4200w NW PV 21 x 200w DAQO PV, 16x400ah lithium.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby gerardw » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:19 am

Hi, I have had one of these enviromowers for over 5 years now. In that time I have purchased 2 new batteries (100-120 dollars from Bunning's). Unfortunately, both of these replacements performed quite poorly running out of grunt after only 15 min to 1/2 hour of mowing, the original old battery would still last for about 3/4 hr though at a lesser speed. About a year ago, I purchased a 24V Lithium battery over the internet from Ping batteries in China for about 280 dollars delivered. It has been fantastic, running for well over an hour and at a much higher revs. It came complete with charger and has been trouble free. I just attached some alligator clips to its leads and clipped them to the terminals in the mower. I also needed to pack a bit of foam around it as it is smaller and lighter than the lead acid ones?
I would definitely recommend the lithium if you can get one
Cheers Gerard.
gerardw
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby John C » Sun May 08, 2016 4:43 pm

I have had a secondhand Enviromower for over 10 years & swear by it.

BatteryWorld can refurbish the battery for around $100, we bought a new battery 10 years ago & charge it after each use & it is still going strong.

If you are in Victoria & want to sell the mower, my brother is looking to buy one.

Cheers

John C
John C
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Return to Living Green