Happy New Year

General tips, questions and answers about going green in your home and business. Achieve a more environmentally friendly lifestyle!

Happy New Year

Postby CaptK » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:36 pm

Happy New Year to all the members of the Energy Matters Forum.

Tomorrow, 02/01/2015 it will be 2 years since I first threw the switch on my off grid Solar System.

This would never have happened without the initial encouragement and continuing great advice I get here.

I'm still a Newbie, still learning every day, still continuing to improve the system, planning for some major upgrades later this year, but the bottom line is, it works, a family of 2 adults and 3 teenagers can live off grid, with power to spare and redundancy.
My power tools are Solar powered and the kids run around on Solar powered electric scooters.
Most importantly, the coffee machine fires up first thing in the morning and the dragon that wakes up transforms into the woman I love, that alone was worth the effort.

I continue to be amazed with the technology, started looking at it in the mid 80's when the cost/watt was prohibitive, now I can't see why everyone isn't on Solar, Grid tied or Off Grid.

One example is a mate of mine who has a shed full of aquariums, it cost him a mint to run his pumps, heaters and lights.
Now with Solar panels and a battery bank he's saving himself a fortune in electricity costs and is able to expand and profit from his hobby.

So thank you all very much.

Keith v.
CaptK
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Re: Happy New Year

Postby Tracker » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:05 am

CaptK wrote:Happy New Year to all the members of the Energy Matters Forum.

Tomorrow, 02/01/2015 it will be 2 years since I first threw the switch on my off grid Solar System.

.......with Solar panels and a battery bank he's saving himself a fortune in electricity costs and is able to expand and profit from his hobby.......

And here's hoping that you're panels run cool and produce all you need...

It's a wonder that more don't look at powering such hobbies from solar power...
Saving peak power can save heaps of dollars..

Great to here you are going well off grid..

Have you documented your system and story as a guide for others.. :?:
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Living Green