insulating patio roof ABOVE roof?

General tips, questions and answers about going green in your home and business. Achieve a more environmentally friendly lifestyle!

insulating patio roof ABOVE roof?

Postby lizzydiz88 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:23 am

We have a lovely (8 years old) 4 x 11 metre patio on the north side of our house, with one of those metal roofs which has a ceiling on one side and a roof on the other, installed in strips. The problem is in summer, when the heat radiates down and bakes us, which means that we don't want to hang out on the patio, but also we can feel the heat radiating into the house from the patio. I've looked at those insulated ceiling panels, but they'd cost thousands, and the roof we have is still in great nick.

My husband is keen to insulate under the roof, but I'm reluctant to add insulation that will cover the attractive finish that is there, and concerned as to how to attach it without it sagging or looking rough-as. As we can't see the rooftop, I'd be interested in stopping the heat on top, if there is any possible way to do that. We recently used Foilboard (polystryrene panels with foil) inside the garage door with great success, but no insulation products I can think of are designed to cope with rain and sun exposure. One person I heard of simply stretched and tied on shade cloth along the top of the roof in summer, but not sure of how it would cope with windy weather. The roof is also a lightweight structure, not load-bearing, so anything added to either top or bottom would have to be lightweight.

Any suggestions out there? It was 40 degrees weather today, and if this is spring, I'm truly dreading summer, and need to keep on with adjusting my house for climate change.
patio view 1.jpg
patio view
Attachments
patio ceiling 2.jpg
patio ceiling
3.04 solar pv system
Blog at https://empowerrepower.wordpress.com/
Sunshine Coast, Qld
lizzydiz88
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Re: insulating patio roof ABOVE roof?

Postby Alex Morrow » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:30 am

My thought would be about how to get some insulation between the roof layer and the ceiling layer - I presume there’s a void there? I’d try to pack it with as much lightweight insulation as possible. Our last couple of days have been 41° and 39°, and that’s on the thermometer in the shade on the southern side of the house. When we feel the heat coming on, we come inside and close all the doors and windows; I don’t think the interior temperature would have gone above about 32° at the hottest in the last two days. We let the roof insulation and high ceilings do their job.
Alex
14 Sharp 170W panels with Fronius IG30 inverter
9 REC 235W panels with SMA2000HF inverter
Edwards LX305(2) solar hot water system
pvoutput: Spotted Gums A, Spotted Gums B
Alex Morrow
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby davidg » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:30 am

Whats the gap between the roof metal and the underside or am I looking at the underside of the actual roof metal?
Hybrid & Off-grid Systems - You could store Sun to use later- I Do!
SELECTRONIC SPMC-482 7.5kW, 7.2kW's of Arrays

with AC-Coupled Grid-Connected Inverters,
1100Ah 48V Bank

Auto Backup Genset
PVOutput Stats

We Sparkys light up your life :)
davidg
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby bpratt » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:26 am

What colour is the top of that patio roof ?

If it is as hot as you say it is, I'm guessing it is a dark colour above it.

On my old home, I painted the zincalume roof with Dulux Weathershield in the Colourbond colour of Thredbo White, and that made a huge difference to the house. That could be a good option for this patio roof of yours, and might be the cheapest option.
Kaco 6600
26 x Trina Honey 250w panels. (wish I could work out how to upload to pvoutput.org)

New house build :-
http://bandlnewhomebuild.blogspot.com

My weather station :-
http://jimboombaweather.com
bpratt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby lizzydiz88 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:56 pm

Hi all,
The roofing is one of those single piece steel roofing systems, with the roof on one side, and the ceiling on the other, joined together. There is no space between ceiling and roof, so no possibility of putting insulation in the middle.

The roof is white, so the colour isn't the problem, just horribly hot weather.

Liz
3.04 solar pv system
Sunshine Coast, Qld
lizzydiz88
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:27 pm

That looks like the veranda roofing system I've seen a bit of lately when out on jobs with my wife- there are insulating panels that slide in under the roof and give a smooth appearance. I think its a C-channel section fixed along the sides, and the panels get pushed in from one end, giving a neat appearance, and they make a big difference.
You could always add a PV panel array on top to shade the roof (added to existing system or off-grid, depending on circumstances), to reduce the heat load a bit.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby ghind » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:03 am

please put up a photo from higher up, showing your house roof and the patio roof together. It looks like there is room to put up some eye bolts (replace some roofing screws) and install shade cloth. That will be by far the most economical way to solve this - stop the sun hitting the roof altogether.
ghind
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Tracker » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:09 pm

It looks more like a single skin Klip-Lock type roofing..

Are the structural gutters making it look like there is a depth to the actual roof...??
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby lizzydiz88 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:33 pm

Hi,
Yes it is a single-skin Klip-Lok type roof, I just didn't know what to call it. The only screws are along the wall against the house, and along the outside edge, none in the middle as the strips just clip together. I've climbed the fence, my adventure for the day, so that I could take a photo of how it looks on top. The patio is on the left of the pics. I quite like the shade cloth option, if it is workable.

Regards, Liz
Attachments
patio roof top 2.jpg
patio roof top 1.jpg
3.04 solar pv system
Sunshine Coast, Qld
lizzydiz88
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Return to Living Green