A new project!!

General tips, questions and answers about going green in your home and business. Achieve a more environmentally friendly lifestyle!

A new project!!

Postby keanw141175 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:13 pm

Good Afternoon,
well after fitting the house out with , Solar, Solar HWS, LED lights, A Nectre Mega with Commmercial Water Jacket and Hydronics, which also heats the HWS during winter. I am here to pick your brains once again on the next project!! :D

We have just purchased a share (with family) of 36 acres in our hometown and it has massive dam in it which is suppose to be 25ft deep. For the kids I have just placed 200 trout in it hoping that they will be dinner plate size for around Christmas. I am now into researching dam aerators and how to do it with more water flow but running off solar as the power is not on at the block.

Has anyone made a set-up without batteries or would it be better with???

Thanks for any help in advance.

Cheers

Kean
keanw141175
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: A new project!!

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:03 pm

There are a number of systems available that will pump water with just PV panels and no battery, with quite a range in price, depending on how sophisticated it is (MPPT etc), capacity and reliability. Jetting the pumped water back into the dam can help with dissolved Oxygen and water circulation- with large dams you can get stratification, which wont be any good for fish like trout, which require high Oxygen levels.

Where is the block located? If the water temperature gets into the 20's in summer, dissolved Oxygen levels can drop to dangerous levels for trout if you are not aerating a lot. How big are the (rainbow or brown?) trout now? What do you plan to feed them?
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Tracker » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:39 am

Whilst most airation mechanisms are based on mechanical aggitation like splashers.... with such a depth, I wonder if it is preferable to consider air-stones at depth. This will give 25ft of absorption, and will stir the water column..
The drawback will be the significant pressure (1atm 15psi) needed to get the air down there..
But as it rise, expansion will improve the effects..
So... where do you buy a good airpump (compressor), running say 24v, that will run from solar..

Good O2 levels, would likely promote many other organisms to develop, and thus create a sustaining micro-system... so thinking about what trout eat and promoting that side could be a win/win..

I hope the noise of the bubbling, would be no issue..

But you would need to devise a platform/shroud to prevent sucking the mud from the bottom, turning the dam to mud.... eg. A sunken IBC with the top cut out. :idea:
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:52 am

If you went with aeration via an air pump, you dont need to place it at the bottom, high pressure delivery is hard on pump diaphragms, causing them to fail early. Placing the outlet only 1/4 of the way down in the centre will still promote circulation- its the method I use in my aquaponics fish tank to create an up in the centre-down at the sides circulation, which helps concentrate fish waste near the centre, from where it is removed via a syphon known as a solids lift overflow.
It would be quite a large and expensive air pump to deliver air to ~7.5m (25ft) in sufficient volume to be useful, the output volume of an air pump decreases significantly with increasing depth. Your average home aquarium type air pump would not be up to the task, they dont deliver at high enough pressure.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Smurf1976 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:32 pm

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:Your average home aquarium type air pump would not be up to the task, they dont deliver at high enough pressure.

I once connected a 12V compressor, the kind you see at auto parts stores for inflating tyres and with a cigarette lighter plug on the end, to an aquarium.

It did the job of unblocking the pipes, but the volume of air was massively greater than with the normal aquarium air pump. It stirred the water up really well, it looked as though the whole thing was boiling. No harm to the fish thankfully but it gave them some excitement. :shock:
Smurf1976
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:38 pm

hahah, yea, exciting times for the fish alright! How long did you have it connected? Those pumps have a very short lifetime when run continuously, and run very hot. They tend to produce some very fine metallic Aluminium dust, which forms a sludge when wet. They may also produce Carbon Monoxide if there is any oil lubrication!
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Tracker » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:46 am

Your actual experience shine there GG...

I was thinking of some pumps that I have come across , being scrapped from old computer equipment.. Air Pumps intended to run 24/7 , I assume.. to pressurise disk drives I think... but how you would buy one in 2014??
I have had one for about 15yrs, so they likely go back 20yrs and not used in 2014..
Even down at 1/4 depth, ie 2mtr, most aquarium pumps that I have tried would do nothing...
Those (don't know the name) ones like a Heat Sink (100mm square and various lengths, depending on power), can punch some air.. I am using one on my system running six large stones and pumping down to 800mm..
I would think that it could pump to 2M. (Pressure not measured).. and replacement diaphragms ... try silicone oven mats.. works for longer than the originals.. ;)
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby jimbo » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:42 pm

slightly off topic. I put around 30 trout in my dam when it was around 2m deep but since then it was hit hard with little rain but still quite cold. I haven't spent much time there in the last 12 months but the tenants say that they don't see an movement from the fish but do catch plenty of yabbies. If the fish were dead would they sink or float to the top? Surely out of 30, 1 of them would have floated to the top.
jimbo
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:20 pm

I think trout (and probably most other fish) tend to sink for a couple of days before floating, after the internal gases of decomposition build up. If the yabbies eat them on the bottom, there wont be any floaters! Any that do float could be taken by birds before anyone notices too.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby jimbo » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:23 pm

The trout that were put in were the largest i could buy probably around 15-20cm. I fed them for a few days but they then stopped taking the food. Any sure way i can tell without dragging a net through the dam?
jimbo
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Next

Return to Living Green