SOLAR (power) SKYLIGHT -- A MUST have

General tips, questions and answers about going green in your home and business. Achieve a more environmentally friendly lifestyle!

SOLAR (power) SKYLIGHT -- A MUST have

Postby Tracker » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:38 am

Now this just have to be a must for all those with the desire or need for GREEN lighting.... :D

The concept was to build a PV-Solar SkyLight, just like the real one, but without the fantastically expensive hole.
The kit consists of a 70W CdTe Solar Panel and 20W of HP LED's.. All you need is wires, imagination and a heat sink, and you have something brighter than the real SkyLight..
K328.jpg
K328.jpg (19.59 KiB) Viewed 9399 times

At $109 , it's a real must... :mrgreen: .. I have an internal hallway that is naturally DARK.. It soon won't be.

http://secure.oatleyelectronics.com//product_info.php?products_id=983&osCsid=1a4f36268cdd3f9dca86af62aa90d336

But - please wait until I get MY one or three..

Check out their LED Flood Lights.. :!:
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: SOLAR (power) SKYLIGHT -- A MUST have

Postby Tracker » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:39 am

PS...
I understand that there is an expansion kit being developed that uses a MPPT charger and a small battery to give 24Hr light..
That's my No2 want.. For my office, where that light is on most of the day. (Not sure if this will cost more..)
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby SNY » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:41 pm

Did you mount this to your ceiling or go the full distance and cut a hole to make it look like a skylight?
SNY
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Tracker » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:22 pm

I'm actually waiting for the Battery Backup version which will give 24/7 operation.
Got the panel and the LED kit..

The challenge is to find a practical way of mounting the LED's in that dark hallway..

I can't see a practical reason to actually simulate a real Light-Well/Sky-Light..
( Other than you want the effect and you just cant sink a shaft through the bedroom above..)
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Pepitapuss » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:45 pm

SNY wrote:Did you mount this to your ceiling or go the full distance and cut a hole to make it look like a skylight?
I recently installed one of these kits ; it works well, better than the solar-tube natural skylight it replaced. I must stress that heat generation is a very real issue! I used a 300mm non-ferrous turntable platter as a mounting plate-cum heat sink, but had to add cooling vanes and fans. A simulation run on the bench ( no fans) at 62V quickly brought the heat sink up to 70deg C! A 70deg thermal cutout was then fitted; if this activates, it puts 100ohms in series with the LED 's, reducing heat generation to safe levels: a 10mm red LED also comes on as a warning. The series connected fans are controlled by a custom built temp. Sensor and switch on at around 45deg C. With. 4deg of hysteresis.

This all seems like one huge overkill, but as a retired tech. With time on my hands plus many shelves of spare parts & miscellaneous junk, it was an enjoyable exercise.

I have photos of the set-up.
Pepitapuss
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:52 pm

Feel free to post a couple of the pics here :)
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Pepitapuss » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:04 pm

If I could figure out how to post my photos I would !! have tried, but without success .
Pepitapuss
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:30 am

Just look below the reply/edit window and click "Upload attachment"
Select the file from your HD and "add the file" Add any comments you would like to appear, then "place inline", making sure the cursor is where you want the pic to appear, or you can cut and paste it in the editing window to move it afterwards.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Tracker » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:45 am

The first thing is to take photos in low resolution so they are less than 100k...
Then have it where you can get to it on the computer.
Under this window, click on Upload Attachment.
Then CHOOSE FILE ... ie your photo. The jpg.... and click. ADD THIS FILE

After you say something you can then click on insert file here or whatever it says..

I do it differently... a bit..
I open the photo and then us a screen capture program to zoom in on the good bit and save it. As a jpg.
This makes it easier.. I use. SNAGIT....

How did you mount the panel..

One thing to consider.... an alternative to the resistor...
. Would be to to use one of oatleys. Current Control circuits ... constant current.. like they use in the flood light...

I resisted jumping in as I wanted extended lighting and the use of the battery unit..
I have come to accept that these led's really don't like overdrive and it significantly reduces life...
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Pepitapuss » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:55 pm

Photos should be on link below. PV panel mounting: first I attached neoprene rubber 30 x3ml adhesive strip around edges (from Clarkes Rubber). Then 12 x 12ml U-section aluminium channel, with angle brackets attached, which mount on H-section cross members. These in turn were attached to lengths of angle strips. All was cobbled together with pop-rivets & SS screws.Aluminium from Bunnings.

The LED's cannot be overdriven as the short-circuit current of the PV panel is limited to 1.19amp ie the panel is self-regulating.

My heat problems are magnified because the roof tiles are less than 300mm above the LED assy!! It is a cathederal type roof with no attic above.

Have you seen the article on this kit in Silicn Chip mag (Jan )? Steel is a relatively poor conductor of heat, so use thick aluminium under each LED--they really get HOT !! Also good air flow past the LED's is required. My diffuser has slots cut around the edges for this reason.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1132178392 ... 5Y6Cz_DfFQ
Pepitapuss
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Next

Return to Living Green