SOLAR (power) SKYLIGHT -- A MUST have

General tips, questions and answers about going green in your home and business. Achieve a more environmentally friendly lifestyle!

Re: SOLAR (power) SKYLIGHT -- A MUST have

Postby Scottishdave » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:15 am

Pepitapuss, could you please re-post the photos on Picasaweb? I just clicked on the link and there were no photos. Thanks
Scottishdave
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Pepitapuss » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:22 pm

I just tried my Picasaweb link & it worked fine ? I simply held the mouse pointer over the link & single clicked on it.

Try highlighting the link, press Ctrl, & click on it. My pretty pics should appear.
Pepitapuss
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Scottishdave » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:31 am

Hi Pepitapuss, thanks for that. Although Picasaweb is a Google product as Google Chrome is, the pictures did not display in Google Chrome. When I pasted the link in Internet Explorer no problem at all and the pictures appeared.
Scottishdave
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby ozzie.freddo » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:29 pm

Pepitapuss wrote: I must stress that heat generation is a very real issue! ..... A simulation run on the bench at 62V quickly brought the heat sink up to 70deg C!.

Was this for 2 LEDs in series? ie 31V across each LED?
ozzie.freddo
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Pepitapuss » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:14 pm

Yes, there was 31V across each LED, but there are 4xLED's wired in series/parallel on the heatsink. 62V is about the max. I can get from the panel on a sunny summer day at noon, at just over 1.0amp. This gives approx 65-70 Watts dissipation. When the 4 computer fans switch on around 50degC, the heatsink temp. drops right down. The fans, plus 2 green led's are all in series & draw 0.05Amps when the panel is at max.voltage. Although the fans+control module represent a power "wastage" of 4.0 Watts, this in insignificant, as it only occurs at extreme conditions.
Pepitapuss
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby troppo » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:58 am

Pepitapuss - you rock. Haven't picked up a soldering iron in anger in 50 years. New convert and addict to all solar. Can you post a wiring diagram for your set up and where you get your components. Brissie only seems to sport a Jaycar with limited supplies. The DIY heat sink is manageable.
troppo
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Pepitapuss » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:52 am

Thanks Troppo! I'm happy to help you, but trust you have electronic skills? From the photos, you can see I used a Jaycar temperature switch kit which I modified somewhat, and 4 x small low current computer fans, all of which were powered by the solar panel itself. It's a tricky design, as the panel's output varies from 60+ V to 0V depending on sunlight! It works fine although there is a "grey" zone at a certain low- sun period whereby the controller runs out of drive & does strange things!Nothing serious ,but if would be neater if the control circuitry was powered separately eg. from a rechargeable battery arrangement.

Anyway. I will send you the ccts. parts etc.soon. after I draw it out neatly, as it's a bit of a dogs brekkie at present.
The solar panel kit is the Oatley Electronics one which Silicon Chip mag. reviewed not long ago: it's a beauty, & cheap. Alan
Pepitapuss
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Bthree » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:38 am

A simple temperature switch requires no power and very little technical expertise

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-Pcs-Long-L ... 3f3870e5bd

I use them as fan controllers and they come in a wide range with both NO or NC contacts
Network = Powercor .. Retailer = Origin .. Installed Christmas 2008
Latronics PV-1200 feed by 8xTrina TSM DC-01 .. 170watt = 1360watts DC in .. 1096watts AC out .. 5+years later 990watts ac out
Bthree
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Pepitapuss » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:54 am

How right you are, Bthree !Take note, troppo. I actually do use a NC temp. switch to open the circuit at 75deg.C as a safety precaution; I see no reason why a 50deg. NO switch can't be used to switch on my fans. Jaycar sell them as" Thermostat switches". I cobbled up this project mainly from parts on hand, being a retired tech. for 10 years, & obviously did not give it enough serious thought !!

I will modify my circuit to use a thermostat switch in place of the electronic one & post it for troppo.
Pepitapuss
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby troppo » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:57 pm

Pepitatpus and Bthree. A thousand thanks. An approach that limits my shaking hands needs to do three things at once is most appreciated. The Oatley kit has been of great interest but up to your generous assistance too much of a mystery.
troppo
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Living Green