Combustion vs Reverse Cycle heating

General tips, questions and answers about going green in your home and business. Achieve a more environmentally friendly lifestyle!

Re: Combustion vs Reverse Cycle heating

Postby lad » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:24 am

Nifty wrote:it's an interesting discussion.

Agreed Nifty, 15 years ago, if it would burn, I would burn it, that was the way to dispose of it, 10 years ago, I sold up everything, purchased a bush block and set about an environmental build with a view to produce (food) what I can, manage my waste collect my water and produce my power. Build is complete, now to get on with production.

I believe I have seen the light and want to perform as best I can and assist those that lean this way, others can do what they like, that's their choice. I suspect that they will eventually become "dinosaurs" or follow the pack.

I happily discuss my experiences with those interested and hope that this makes any journey that take easier.

I love this forum (and recommend it to those that show interest) because there is a large community of others sharing their experiences, knowledge and skills. The sponsor, to my experience, has not censored discussion for commercial advantage, demonstrating integrity and leadership so I feel comfortable and justified in pointing those entering the market here as a reference point.

I have no affiliation with the company and I purchased my system before I knew these guys existed.
30 130 W Kyocera panels
Latronics LS7048 inverter
Outback mx 80 reg
12 Exide 4RP1800 batt
Apricius tube 315l H/W & gas boost
Kubota GL-9000 8.5KW diesel gen. 55amp batt. charger
Belvedere 5000 Hydronic heat, heat exch h/water boost

Grid DISCONNECTED
lad
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Nifty » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:34 pm

lad, we have relatives in NZ living a similar life and we just love the way they do things. Mud floor, cupboards from reclaimed fence posts, macrocarpa slab walls, and a freezer full of game.

Smurf, I have a mate with a steamboat and I reckon he needs coal to make more smoke and look more authentic! (He burns timber and briquettes at the moment). Don't suppose you're in Eastern Victoria by any chance?
Nifty
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Smurf1976 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:52 pm

Nifty wrote:Smurf, I have a mate with a steamboat and I reckon he needs coal to make more smoke and look more authentic! (He burns timber and briquettes at the moment). Don't suppose you're in Eastern Victoria by any chance?

I'm in Tasmania so a bit far away. :D

I'm not sure where the coal came from, but it was different to the local stuff. The coal mine in Tas is a fairly small operation - they mine as much in a year as Vic does in literally 3 days. It's used for boiler fuel in the paper mill and to fire the kilns in the cement works but that's about it apart from the odd steam train ride and a vegetable processing factory or two that uses it to boil water.

The good bit though is that if you ask nicely then they let you have (free) as much of the poorer quality "reject" coal as you want. Apparently it's no good for the cement works or the mill, but it worked fine in the old pot belly stove when I used it. Being quite some distance from Hobart it's not economic to drive there to get it, but I was going past anyway and came home with half a tonne (!) in the car boot. I'm not sure if they still do this or not, this was years ago, but they used to.
Smurf1976
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby samhays » Tue May 20, 2014 10:31 am

See http://www.homeheat.com.au/pdf/Heating_ ... se_Gas.pdf
It provides a good comparion and gives tips on how to minmise your carbon footprint using your wood heater.
I have just installed a second hand wood heater. I live on two acres so I am pleased to now use all that latent energy in dead wood that I used to have to burn off. It is definitely reducing my carbon foot print and saving me lots of monet in lieu of using the reverse cycle aircon unit in winter.
samhays
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby offgridQLD » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:56 pm

3ph AC implies it is quite a large unit, and from looking through the specs of various machines, the larger ones seem to be less efficient, although I dont know why.

As silly as it sounds It boils down the the size of the condenser unit outside. Most of the manufactures of domestic split system AC units only produce about 2 at the most 3 sizes of condenser units to cover the full range of split systems they produce. Say from 2kw heat/cool output up to 10kw heat output . So you wind up with the same condenser being used for there 2kw unit all the way up to there 5kw then they jump to larger unit for the 6 -10kw. So two of the 2kw units is way more efficient than the one 4kw unit as effectively the 4kw unit has 1/2 the condenser size to work with. Every manufacture is slightly different but I know the 2kw Mitsubishi units I have use a huge condenser considering small output (obviously the same one they use for there larger units) so its very efficient . I have a 7kw output LG unit on another house that has a condenser that about the same size as the little 2kw Mitsubishi (the LG isn't to efficient) :lol:

I'm not sure if along with keeping production runs of to many size variants down also esthetics comes into play to and they cap the max size of the condenser and the evaporator head to make it practical handle mount along side homes and on walls and look esthetically pleasing on peoples walls. Don't worry if it's efficient or not as long as the components are not to big and there for look ugly :lol:

This guy did a little more research into the size ratio of the condenser vs the evaporator head and pump they were trying to match up across a model line and it seems to agree with my thinking .http://www.ata.org.au/forums/topic/2919

Kurt
Offgrid 2008, Selectronic PS1 6kw/48v inverter, x 2 Midnite solar classic 150 MPPT, 3960w NE PV 24 x 165w BP panels, 4200w NW PV 21 x 200w DAQO PV, 16x400ah lithium.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby lizzydiz88 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:24 pm

Hi Mazbo,

It is an interesting question, with so many factors to think about. At least when you use grid-sourced electricity in South Australia, quite a bit is coming from renewables, a combination of rooftop solar and wind. With the Snowtown 2 wind farm going online, it will now be 40% http://reneweconomy.com.au/2014/south-australia-leaps-towards-40-wind-and-solar-61283 On three particularly gusty days last week, it actually reached 65% of generation. Where I live in SE Qld, renewables make up about 11% of grid-sourced electricity, a bit disappointing in the "sunshine state". Queenslanders love rooftop pv, but there is no large-scale solar and almost no wind power.
3.04 solar pv system
Blog at https://empowerrepower.wordpress.com/
Sunshine Coast, Qld
lizzydiz88
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:40 pm

lizzydiz88 wrote:... On three particularly gusty days last week, it actually reached 65% of generation.

It got way better than that, up to a maximum of 91%!
http://reneweconomy.com.au/2014/graph-d ... h-oz-60351
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Windy » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:08 am

I read an artical in a renew magazine and it said to have the condensor in full sun in the winter and shaded in summer. Which makes sense to heat the condensor in the winter time with the sun. It might make it more efficient.
Windy
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Bthree » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:11 am

Windy wrote:have the condensor in full sun in the winter and shaded in summer. Which makes sense to heat the condensor in the winter time with the sun.

That possibly equates to the east and sunny side of the building sheltered from the frost for those cold mornings with plenty of air circulation.
Network = Powercor .. Retailer = Origin .. Installed Christmas 2008
Latronics PV-1200 feed by 8xTrina TSM DC-01 .. 170watt = 1360watts DC in .. 1096watts AC out .. 5+years later 990watts ac out
Bthree
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Previous

Return to Living Green