Hi from South Gippsland, Victoria

Say g'day and tell us a little bit about yourself if you wish. If you have a wind or solar power system, big or small; flaunt its specs here!

Hi from South Gippsland, Victoria

Postby Chris D » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:13 pm

Hi there.
My name is Chris and I have been an enthusiastic reader of various posts on this forum and am now joining. I'm a recently retired engineer and live between our Melbourne home and our small farm near Mirboo North, in South Gippsland. We intend that the farm will be our primary residence for the future years. We are about to carry out a thorough renovation of one of our farmhouses and are planning for a responsible, well insulated building but nothing too extreme. Of interest to the forum here, we will be fitting a hot water boiler and hydronic radiators as our primary heating source.

We are in the throes of making a decision on the type of boiler but have designed a "boiler room" to accommodate it. There seems to be conflicting information around as to the best configuration for boiler with or without a hot water storage vessel.

Of other interest is that we'll install a PV array during the build and, with it, most likely a priority relay to provide PV excess power to our HWS.

I'm keen to hear from folk who have installed a hot water boiler. Pitfalls etc. Shortlisted brands are Firex Gasogen and the Dynamic series dedicated wood - fired boilers from Wise in Albury . Building will begin within two to three weeks so the ordering of boiler and ancillaries is perhaps a month away.
Regards to all
Chris
Chris D
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Hi from South Gippsland, Victoria

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:18 am

Welcome to the Energy Matters Forums Chris :)

Have you considered using evacuated tubes to add heat to your boiler? In sunny cold weather it could significantly reduce the use of wood.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Re: Hi from South Gippsland, Victoria

Postby Chris D » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:43 pm

Thanks for this. Yes I did but won't for this installation on a simple cost vs benefit insofar as the number of days we'll use this house. I have decided on using the Australian Thermalux Belvedere 5000 as opposed to the Italian Firex 34. A little less efficient but perhaps better able to cope with our periodically less than ideal wood dryness. I understand the gasification models don't like wood that's anything other than around 15% water. In this region, getting wood from 20% to 15% or equals a long time in storage.

I'm keen to hear from anyone with alternate views. By the way, most of the timber to be burnt is of our own planting in the past 16 years.

Chris
Chris D
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Return to Introduce yourself