Energex EM100 meter

Say g'day and tell us a little bit about yourself if you wish. If you have a wind or solar power system, big or small; flaunt its specs here!

Energex EM100 meter

Postby rugbybill » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:48 am

Hi
Having just had another 6 panels added which gives me about 2100W on the roof.
I want to know about the red light on the Energex meter.
The blurb says it blinks on/off depending on power consumption i.e.fast/slow.
Each blink is 1 Watt used. and 1000 blinks is one(1)Kwh used.
So far so good. My question is what is happening when the red light is
A) on for up to 3 seconds??
B) on for 1minute or longer??? This on a full sun at 1pm with both strings cranking.
And can I take the readings as accurate from the 2 systems I have, both with separate inverters to establish power back to the grid after usage is deducted from the Meter(EM1000).Or is the - reading on rhe EM1000 the only arbiter.
I have a need to convince myself that the - (minus) reading on the EM1000 is a true effort of logging excess pwr to the grid.Who do I see or what can I do if the readings are a long way off???
Nearly Happy Bill.....Thanks
rugbybill
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Energex EM100 meter

Postby andarm » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:23 am

I may be wrong but I have a feeling that the light blinks for import only. i.e. is irrelevant to what you are exporting at any particular point. The light on for 3 seconds would indicate that your use is very low and that you are consuming 1wh/3 sec i.e. have a load of 1200 watts. (1200 watts / 3600 seconds = 3 wh/sec).
I have just checked and we have an EM1200 so perhaps this model is different to yours.
andarm
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby rugbybill » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:29 am

andarm wrote:I may be wrong but I have a feeling that the light blinks for import only. i.e. is irrelevant to what you are exporting at any particular point. The light on for 3 seconds would indicate that your use is very low and that you are consuming 1wh/3 sec i.e. have a load of 1200 watts. (1200 watts / 3600 seconds = 3 wh/sec).
I have just checked and we have an EM1200 so perhaps this model is different to yours.

I have just done an experiment with the solar strings when the red light was on permanently.i.e 1 Hr or more.
I turned the first string off and the red light stayed on permantly.I turned the second string off and the red light went off and blinked intermittently i.e 1 watt /blink as the blurb says.
I then turned the second string on and the red light stayed on perm.
This led me to believe that as the sun was high and hot that both strings were able to supply more Watts than I was using.I hope!!!
Regards Bill
rugbybill
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby andarm » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:21 am

I found the following link and it seems to indicate that your solid red LED was indicating export at the rate of 1 w/h per flash. Clause 3.6.4 refers to this. LED must indicate energy flow in both directions although our EM1200 must be set up differently as it doesn't flash when exporting (5kW system)

http://www.countryenergy.com.au/asset/c ... 014_53.pdf
andarm
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Return to Introduce yourself