Is this the most Energy Efficient Air Conditioner in the Wor

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Is this the most Energy Efficient Air Conditioner in the Wor

Postby stevesmith1967 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:46 am

A friend of mine who is a Daikin Installer just sent me this link, can it be true?
Who are they?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFBHJrZYY9s
stevesmith1967
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Is this the most Energy Efficient Air Conditioner in the

Postby swampdweller » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:09 pm

They don't specify what the 'natural' refrigerant is in the Pioneer unit, but it's possibly a hydrocarbon such as Propane, Butane, Isobutane or a blend thereof, or it could be CO2, all of which do provide considerably higher efficiency than modern synthetic refrigerants. I would therefore expect to see significant energy savings if the system engineering is similarly sophisticated.

Having said that, the test method shown is unsophisticated to say the least. If the manufacturer wants to sell that unit in Australia, they should be able to provide COP (Coefficient Of Performance) and EER (Energy Efficiency Ratio) ratings to Australian/NZ Standard 3823.2. These ratings can be compared to any other unit, for both heating and cooling, to prove the point with a high degree of credibility.

Keep in mind if it uses a Hydrocarbon refrigerant, they are explosive! Co2 is all good though and is currently used in some heat pump water heaters with amazing results. I would be asking exactly which refrigerant it is and if it can legally be used in a domestic air conditioning application. Hydrocarbon refrigerants are currently used in many refrigerators, again with great results, but the quantities in a frig are tiny (about as much as a cigarette lighter) so not capable of causing a decent explosion if they escape. Air conditioners contain larger quantities.
swampdweller
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Bthree » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:14 pm

The brochure is listed in a PDF link gives the figures

PI 60 a natural refrigerant 2.75Kg
COP 4.52

http://www.gaffair.com.au/pioneer/
Network = Powercor .. Retailer = Origin .. Installed Christmas 2008
Latronics PV-1200 feed by 8xTrina TSM DC-01 .. 170watt = 1360watts DC in .. 1096watts AC out .. 5+years later 990watts ac out
Bthree
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:24 am

A COP of 4.5 is good though its not the best. I have seen COP of around 5.8 on some of the smaller 2.5kw units. 420w consumption for 2500w output.

Kurt
Offgrid 2008, Selectronic PS1 6kw/48v inverter, x 2 Midnite solar classic 150 MPPT, 3960w NE PV 24 x 165w BP panels, 4200w NW PV 21 x 200w DAQO PV, 16x400ah lithium.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby swampdweller » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:37 pm

COPs and EERs over 4 are good for this size unit though. These are comparatively large units, 11kW capacity and higher, also ducted which reduces overall efficiency somewhat. Smaller units in the 2.5 to 5 kW range are inherently more efficient, and non-ducted units need much less powerful indoor fans.
swampdweller
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby offgridQLD » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:56 pm

Sorry I didn't look at the PDF to see the units size. There is no reason at all why larger (split system) units cant be just as efficient as the smaller units. Its just esthetics and economics of multiple production runs for various size units. Size matters and the size of the condenser and evaporator do not always scale to the size pump they are working with.

For example the size of the evaporator and condenser in a 7.5kw split system is not three times bigger than a 2.5kw system.

Kurt
Offgrid 2008, Selectronic PS1 6kw/48v inverter, x 2 Midnite solar classic 150 MPPT, 3960w NE PV 24 x 165w BP panels, 4200w NW PV 21 x 200w DAQO PV, 16x400ah lithium.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Energy Efficiency