Help Me with my LED Setup!

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Help Me with my LED Setup!

Postby Sophie Barkman » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:03 pm

Hello Everyone,
i'm planning to replace all the lights of my apartments as most of them are too old and need to be replaced with new ones. My electrician suggested me to replace all the lights with LED lights, as they are energy efficient and bright. but i'm not sure if i would be doing the right thing, guys here i'm open for some suggestion and advices. please help me with some of your real life experiences and also share some ideas of replacing bulbs with LED lights. :?

Thanks in Advance :D

Regards,
Sophie
Sophie Barkman
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Help Me with my LED Setup!

Postby davidg » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:22 pm

Sophie Barkman wrote:i'm planning to replace all the lights of my apartments as most of them are too old and need to be replaced with new ones. My electrician suggested me to replace all the lights with LED lights

Yep that works, it's what I would do or suggest for our customers when doing lighting, if you want something that's close to traditional halogen and incandescent globes but slightly whiter choose 3000K colour temp, your electrician should know what that means if he's any good, if you want about the about same colour temp then ask for 2700k.
Hybrid & Off-grid Systems - You could store Sun to use later- I Do!
SELECTRONIC SPMC-482 7.5kW, 7.2kW's of Arrays

with AC-Coupled Grid-Connected Inverters,
1100Ah 48V Bank

Auto Backup Genset
PVOutput Stats

We Sparkys light up your life :)
davidg
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:04 am

2700K. Is Warm White... I hate cool white..

The first place to start is to detail all the different lamps used... eg. Halogen Down Lights.. conventional bulb wit bayonet or ES

I have completely redone our home.. after conversion to compact-flouros etc, some years back...
bought MOST all of the bulbs from China and VERY happy with the result..
I have also done both the daughter's homes and a church...

Good lamps stand out by the quality of the heat sink fitted... ie.. avoid bulbs that don't seem to have heat sinks..
(Exceptions being chandelier replacements, where "neat" is necessary..
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Bthree » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:18 am

If you are in Victoria Google the "VEET" scheme. Free globe replacement
Network = Powercor .. Retailer = Origin .. Installed Christmas 2008
Latronics PV-1200 feed by 8xTrina TSM DC-01 .. 170watt = 1360watts DC in .. 1096watts AC out .. 5+years later 990watts ac out
Bthree
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Sophie Barkman » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:26 pm

Thank you everyone for your precious suggestions. another thing that concerns me is the dimming process. because LED lights are sometimes too bright for some atmosphere, in that case i need to dim the brightness a bit. any suggestion in that?? :?
Sophie Barkman
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby davidg » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:14 pm

Sophie Barkman wrote:in that case i need to dim the brightness a bit. any suggestion in that?? :?

Easy, ensure you specify "dimmable" LEDs they are available no problems.

I just ordered a whole swag of replacement dimmable down-lights for my own house, larger diameter brighter and dimmable (10% to 100% range). I have about 5 different type in various parts of the house I been testing over the last couple of years. My wife is tired of my testing. So I agreed to make them all the same. :mrgreen:

The ones I'm using in our house are the same ones I've installed in houses for clients they're happy with them and being dimmable is handy, there is not that much cost difference most of the time.

1100Ah 48V Bank

Auto Backup Genset
PVOutput Stats

davidg
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:49 am

Again... start with a list... where/Watts/base/dimming..

You may find you can do it all yourself... or most, and leave the hard ones to the electrician..
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Bundaburra » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:46 am

Take your electrician's advice and go with LEDs, although in many cases you would be able to just replace a globe yourself. These days, the lighting choice is mainly between compact fluoros and LEDs, with incandescents and halogens on the outer, but LEDs have significant advantages over compact fluoros, including better efficiency, full brightness at switch on, much longer lifetime (which is not affected by frequent switching on/off), and being more environmentally friendly when they eventually die and have to be disposed of. They are a little more expensive, but will more than pay for themselves in the long term, in terms of both power consumption and frequency of replacement.

If you have any halogen downlights, these can also be replaced with LEDs (which will use about 20% of the power for the same amount of light), and if they are the 12 volt kind, ask your electrician about replacing with 240 volt ones.

If you have any lights which take unusual fittings such as small bayonet or small screw, LED versions of these globes are sometimes not so easy to find in the hardware stores, but they do exist. Again, ask your electrician.
Bundaburra
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Alex Morrow » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:11 am

"Easy, ensure you specify "dimmable" LEDs they are available no problems."

Davidg, I already have some dimmable incandescent lights that I'd like to replace with LEDs, but I understand that I need new dimmers as well. Is that correct? Where are dimmers for LEDs available? Any particular ones recommended?

Alex
14 Sharp 170W panels with Fronius IG30 inverter
9 REC 235W panels with SMA2000HF inverter
Edwards LX305(2) solar hot water system
pvoutput: Spotted Gums A, Spotted Gums B
Alex Morrow
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby davidg » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:26 am

Alex Morrow wrote: Is that correct? Where are dimmers for LEDs available? Any particular ones recommended?

Electrical wholesaler such as AWM (MMEM) or Middys via electrician.

Depends on the dimmers you already have, however Clipsal have dimmers that are suitable amongst other brands. I normally use Clipsal "universal" dimmer controllers, need to installed by a sparky. It does depend on the brand of the mounting plates used.

1100Ah 48V Bank

Auto Backup Genset
PVOutput Stats

davidg
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Next

Return to Energy Efficiency