Heating and cooling options

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Re: Heating and cooling options

Postby jimbo » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:21 pm

What's the smell like? How does it handle winter rain or is it covered?
jimbo
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby davidg » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:47 pm

jimbo wrote:What's the smell like? How does it handle winter rain or is it covered?

A good farm smell when building it, then pretty much nothing unless your right next to it and then it's really mainly a straw/hay smell. I like the smell of grass 8-)

Rain is fine just let it get rained on that's not an issue. As the final top is lightly slanted, bit like a shallow round roof, some water soaks in that's fine and the rest runs off.
Hybrid & Off-grid Systems - You could store Sun to use later- I Do!
SELECTRONIC SPMC-482 7.5kW, 7.2kW's of Arrays

with AC-Coupled Grid-Connected Inverters,
1100Ah 48V Bank

Auto Backup Genset
PVOutput Stats

We Sparkys light up your life :)
davidg
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Cherokee Solar » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:09 pm

Hi jimbo,

Glad to hear that you are moving back.

Don't know about cooling as I haven't seen an indoor temperature greater than 29'C and it was 45'C outside that day... :shock: Last summer was a shocker...

For a left of centre idea about heating, you can try the system I use here. Hard to retrofit, but easy to use.

The hot water system has a 400L header tank which is heated by a combination of:
- solar hot water panels (ouch! - very hot for most months other than June - August);
- Wet back on the firewood box (after a day of heating the water is toasty hot); and
- If I had more faith in the off grid system, I could have added an electric element to the header tank - A great idea for all of that PV solar energy I'm currently losing. It works like a fish tank heater.

The water from the header tank is pumped around to hydronic radiators which can be switched off and on as needed. Oh yeah, they get hot and it is a very pleasant heat.

LPG is a no go for a house due to the sheer expense. When I rented whilst I was building this house, they had a huge LPG tank (about $700 to fill - many years ago too) and an LPG fuelled central heating system. The LPG supply company told me not to set the temperature in the house above 16'C degrees or I'd empty the bottle in only a few weeks.... :shock: I didn't run that heater once and oh boy, was that house cold in winter and hot in summer. Winter meant sleeping under two heavy doona's as it was little above freezing.

The firebox runs continuously here during winter, but then the outside temperature doesn't get into double digits either. Because the house is heavily insulated the heater uses stuff all timber during a year. Run it hard for the first load and then back it off and just leave the combustion ticking along.

My wife can get the firebox started - no problem, but I keep all of the systems here as simple as possible and there is dry kindling, small logs, medium logs and larger logs all available under cover.
Off grid solar + hot water. Heavily insulated + owner built flamezone house BAL-FZ. 300 mixed fruit trees + herbs + flowers + vegetables. Bees + heritage chickens. High up in the mountains north of Melbourne. http://ferngladefarm.blogspot.com.au/
Cherokee Solar
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby karlajensen » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:16 pm

Darn it i wrote a kickass answer but lost it somehow....

http://www.lawsonair.com.au/online-shop ... medium=cpc

Summary
7 stars (my ducted lucky to make 2).
awesome piece of kit output upto 7.5kW on an energy input of just 620W

with just 620W to run it and your system having practical usable capacity of ~10kW
gives you a heap of running time.

Array for any off grid system should be massively oversized as panels are cheap and batteries arent.
8E + 8W + 8Nth Garage CMS2000-1 with ~4500W in 3 strings of 8.
Fronius Galvo 3.0 inverter with ~6.6kW panels
12x ZNShine + 12x 180W Solarfuns both NW + ZNShine 12x190 facing SE.
Edwards Solar Hot water

Luck Favours the well prepared.
karlajensen
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby jimbo » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:44 am

I'm confused by the specs on that website. What is the difference between Rated capacity and capacity range? My current unit in the bedroom is a Mitsubishi Heavy Industries 2.5kw unit with a COP of almost the same at 5.8
jimbo
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:28 am

Capacity range shows the lowest to highest output, the highest being a bit more than rated capacity. I don't know how they manage to get so much extra with the heating capacity though, or how long it will operate at 7.5kW, but I dont imagine it is for an extended period.

I have the Mitsubishis too, ~half the price for a small difference in EER/COP- you can buy a lot more PV power for the price difference.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Cherokee Solar » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:28 pm

jimbo wrote:Mitsubishi Heavy Industries 2.5kw unit with a COP of almost the same at 5.8

Hi Gordon and James,

Hope you both had a good Christmas!

Just out of interest, what do those units actually use in terms of kW of electrical energy for cooling?

Incidentally, I purchased an electric chipper for mulching garden prunings and the motor is rated as 2hp 8A @ 240V. Now when I actually run the unit the motor sounds perfect and the unit runs well, it only uses 26A @ 28V on start up but then drops away quickly to about a consistent 10A @ 28V - I was running the unit during the Absorb phase of charging. Can it really be that efficient for a 2hp electric motor? My 9 tonne log splitter only uses about 20A at 28V as a comparison. The shunt seems to be reasonably accurate as I calibrated it against the chargers solar amps reading.

The whole issue has me confused? :? The microwave on the other hand uses about 80A at 28V...

What's going on? ;)
Off grid solar + hot water. Heavily insulated + owner built flamezone house BAL-FZ. 300 mixed fruit trees + herbs + flowers + vegetables. Bees + heritage chickens. High up in the mountains north of Melbourne. http://ferngladefarm.blogspot.com.au/
Cherokee Solar
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby jimbo » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:39 pm

Hi Chris,

It's been a while since i used the AC myself so can't actually remember the power consumption but will make an effort to remember next time. Off the top of my head its 500w or so but at night when there is no sun it just ticks along with very little consumption.

It's all about load on the motors. The 2hp motor in your chipper will use around 2hp when under load but when just spinning it uses considerably less. Look at the consumption while someone feeds in some branches. BTW are they any good? I wouldn't mind something similar.
jimbo
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:34 pm

I see Jimbo has already replied saying basically the same as I wrote...

Hey Chris, best wishes for the festive season to you too :)

The rating would be for under full load with the chipper- chuck in some branches and watch the power draw. Of course the 2HP (1500W) rating may be a bit hopeful too!

According to the specs, my Mitsubishi units only use a bit over 500W when running at rated capacity.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby jimbo » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:37 pm

Oh yeah Merry Xmas!
jimbo
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Efficiency