Saving power on dishwashers and washing machines

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Re: Saving power on dishwashers and washing machines

Postby trebla » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:19 pm

If you have the old-fashioned laundry hot and cold outlets like I have, you can control the temperature of the inflow as you wish. I have a washing machine with a single inlet, so I have just yolked hot and cold inlet hoses together with a 12mm plastic T and screw clamps. In a world where hot is free, and water is limited, it makes sense to use the superior dissolving/emulsifying power of warm or hot water to economise with both water and detergents. Same principle would apply to a dishwasher. Any water temperature control on the machine should be set on cold (as these machines are restricted to heating cold water, they do not refrigerate hot water) and you just adjust the temperature to anything you want with the two taps. No real leaps in technology here.
trebla
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby bpratt » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:06 pm

trebla wrote:If you have the old-fashioned laundry hot and cold outlets like I have, you can control the temperature of the inflow as you wish. I have a washing machine with a single inlet, so I have just yolked hot and cold inlet hoses together with a 12mm plastic T and screw clamps.

Thanks for the response and had already thought about doing this cheaper way, however where it all falls down for us is that the taps get turned off every day after doing the washing, which means the taps have to be 're-calibrated' every time we did the washing. For me personally, it shouldn't be all that hard at all, however my 84 year old mum that lives with us and who is still quite active, wants to continue doing the washing, which is great for me as there's one less thing for me to worry about. :)

This is where a tempering valve and a little extra plumbing is going be worthwhile for us.
Kaco 6600
26 x Trina Honey 250w panels. (wish I could work out how to upload to pvoutput.org)

New house build :-
http://bandlnewhomebuild.blogspot.com

My weather station :-
http://jimboombaweather.com
bpratt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Smurf1976 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:58 pm

offgridQLD wrote:Is that the glorified bath tub kind that you fill up and let the water out or a proper spa like a small swimming pool with treated water that stays in it?

I have the bathtub kind. I'm not sure how much water it holds, but the answer is "quite a lot" and it does take a while to fill. It's just filled from the mains water and there's a pump for the spa. There's a heater in the pump, which can be turned on/off via a button on the control panel, to keep the water hot.
Smurf1976
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Garyho » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:22 am

Haven't read all this topic so excuse me if this is already mentioned.

You would not want hot or warm water in your rinse cycles as warm clothes will get lots of creases when it spins.

There are machines with hot and cold valves, our LG certainly does but have not seen same in Samsung . If set to 40 degrees or below it fills with cold water and heats to the set temp. If set to 60 or above it will fill with hot water and heat.

Supply water directly from the hot water system without a tempering valve is a bad idea. The valves and hoses in washing machines and dishwashers are not made to take water above 55 while filling.
Garyho
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby bpratt » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:39 am

Interesting point about hot/warm water in the final rinse cycles before the spin dry, something that I wasn't aware of.

Sadly, there are very few washing machines with both hot and cold water inlets, which is why I brought up this topic, as I feel it is a waste heating up water in the washing machine, when you already have hot water available for free from a SHW system.

I will be putting in a tempering valve just prior to the washing machine, so the WM will only get water at about 40-45 degrees in to it.
Kaco 6600
26 x Trina Honey 250w panels. (wish I could work out how to upload to pvoutput.org)

New house build :-
http://bandlnewhomebuild.blogspot.com

My weather station :-
http://jimboombaweather.com
bpratt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:13 am

If doing a hot wash (often necessary after an MTB ride through neighbouring properties with lots of "land mines" laid by cattle on the tracks), I adjust the variable tempering valve I have on the wall to the upper end of the range (25-55C). I give any wrinkle prone clothes a good shaking before hanging, and have no problems with creases.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Tracker » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:37 pm

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:.... I give any wrinkle prone clothes a good shaking before hanging, and have no problems with creases.

I think the biggest issue with these rotten front-loaders, is the L.O.N.G. cycle times.. and the likely-hood of going off and leaving it go, and thus leaving the crushed clothes for longer than you might otherwise do..

Again - we program the washer to "Finish" at the time we get up each day, so that we are using Off-Peak power and such that it will have just stopped when we arise..
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Garyho » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:28 pm

One way around it is to connect a hose to the hot tap and run hot water into the machine via the detergent drawer before starting it. However that would be a PITA if you use delay start.

I have thought about using an Arduino to operate my washing machine, then I can get it to work just the way I like. A simpler hack would be to have timer that started counting from when the fill is initiated. This could control a second valve via a relay to fill the machine with hot water and then after 5 minutes turn over to cold water for the rest of the cycle. Setting the machine to cold wash would stop any heating, this would use the least amount of energy. Washing in warm water is definitely better than cold and would give a better wash with less washing time.
Garyho
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Previous

Return to Energy Efficiency