Mower battery advice, please

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Mower battery advice, please

Postby Alex Morrow » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:10 pm

My daughter, who lives about fifteen minutes away from me, has a Husqvarna ride-on mower, which is stored in a small shed about fifty metres from a power point. I am the designated mower of her yard. I am trying to find the best way to keep the mower’s battery charged so that it will go when I want it to. Like many ride-on mowers, I suspect, this one is used irregularly, depending on weather. At present, although the battery is under two years old, it was completely flat when I tried to use it yesterday, and I had to use jumper leads from my car - possible, but not convenient. I’m thinking that, pain as it may be, the best bet may be to remove the battery whenever I have just mowed, bring it home, and put it on the charger for next time, and remember to take it with me next time I want to mow. If I bring it home, I can put it on the charger when I want to; if I take it out of the mower but leave it at her place, I will have to leave the charger there, and get her to put the charger on, and I think it’s easier if I do that here. I’m assuming that just leaving a battery in a mower for a few months untouched will not prolong battery life.
Questions:
Have I missed any easy options here?
If I use the charger, what’s the best charging regime for a normal lead acid battery that is used irregularly? Should I charge it every week for an hour or so? Every month? Only for a few hours before using it?
I have thought about getting a small PV panel and charger, that would charge the battery every sunny day. Would something like that work? (I have an electric gate that operates from a battery charged by a small panel - this battery is now five years old.)
14 Sharp 170W panels with Fronius IG30 inverter
9 REC 235W panels with SMA2000HF inverter
Edwards LX305(2) solar hot water system
pvoutput: Spotted Gums A, Spotted Gums B
Alex Morrow
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: Mower battery advice, please

Postby lantern » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:39 pm

lantern
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Alex Morrow » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:33 pm

Thanks for the reply, lantern. Pardon my ignorance, but could the panel you linked to (or the other panels on that page for that matter) simply be put out in the yard or on the roof of the shed, and connected straight to the mower battery and left there more or less permanently?

Alex
Alex Morrow
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby lantern » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:02 am

You can get away without a reg as long as the panel has low enough wattage.

Batteries just standing will loose about 1% of their capacity per day, so something that just replaces that
shouldn't cause any problems.

Jaycar doesn't sell the exact model of panel I use anymore, but from memory it is around 1.6W.
lantern
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Alex Morrow » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:09 am

Thank you very much for you help. I'll chase up such a panel.

Alex
Alex Morrow
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Energy Efficiency