Air conditioner "standby"

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Re: Air conditioner "standby"

Postby munter » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:20 am

Yes, there is a way to find out. The energy rating website gives you the option of downloading a detailed excel or CSV file which shows a lot more data than the simple star rating. One of the fields in that file is "Crankcase Heater" so you can look up your preferred model and see if it has one or not.

The CSV file downloads can be found here: http://www.energyrating.gov.au/appsearch/download.asp

The thing is - I'm not sure if the data is correct or if there are other factors at play. We have a MHI SRK73ZEA which is described as not having a crankcase heater but our efergy meter has recorded a difference of 70 or so Watts between having the unit switched off but on standby and disconnected. Either that is a ghost reading like some devices create on cheaper meters or something else is chewing power inside the unit. Either way - our air con sits disconnected through the shoulder seasons.
http://renovations08.blogspot.com/ - my energy efficiency blog
munter
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Markanski » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:33 am

Is it true that some units don't have a crankcase heater at all? Does anyone know the in's and out's of this?
Markanski
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Smurf1976 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:36 pm

I'm guessing that my heat pump water heater, which is essentially a split system A/C coupled to a water storage tank, doesn't have a crankcase heater given that the manufacturer specifically recommends connection to off-peak power.
Smurf1976
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Oliverk48 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:41 pm

Smurf1976 wrote:
munter wrote:I'm thinking about getting a reverse cycle A/C, but if it's going to sit there chewing through significant amounts of power all day even when it's switched off then I'll stick with the wood fire instead. Fair enough if it's a couple of Watts, but the one my neighbour has draws enough standby power to steadily turn the meter with nothing else connected (the A/C is on a separate meter to everything else so it's easy to check).

I'm in the same situation, I currently using the wood fire as you said :D but I was thinking about getting a reverse cycle A/C since it's much easier to just push a button. But the amount of energy it chews even when turned off worries me too. My bill is already big enough...
Oliverk48
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby cw nsw » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:25 am

I have a Mitsubishi (MHI) SRK71ZEA r/c air cond and did the final clean operation for the season yesterday, as well as removed batteries from remote control.

My understanding is that the unit will use approx 2W even when the power has been turned off. Otherwise the standby power used is supposed to be approx 6.1W.
cw nsw
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:09 pm

I have to declare that I have not been following this thread, but can say that I am totally unaware of the issue being discussed.

I have about 7 RAC's in my home.. ( I believe is only cooling what is needed.)

I can confidently say that the stand-by powers discussed , do not exist in ANY device I have.
Typical stand-by is 2W. (For an electronic-control device -- ZERO for mechanical control)

Having dealt with various RAC's over the years, I have NEVER found one with Crank-Case heating.
I suspect that large Daikin and Carrier / units from the US , might have heaters, simply because of their winters.
On the east coast of Oz.. , I would have no hesitation in disconnecting heaters, OR retrofit a thermostat to enable heating where the temp falls below (say) 10c...

Has anyone found heaters in normal domestic RAC's ?
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Bthree » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:06 pm

I have two split 1 kw reverse cycle AC's in my workshop, stby power is measured at ~2watts (one is switched off as a spare)

The house has a Carrier 3 phase 6 kw whole house ducted unit which has a static draw of 55watts in summer and 67watts in winter

Now six years old and out of warranty so the sump heater is about to be disconnected although in winter we have low temp to -1 or -2 degrees C so I may reconnect for the real cold months. The AC engineers recommend a heater as the sump oil get a bit thick in the colder months

Tracker, I like your idea of the thermostat but its just more expense
Network = Powercor .. Retailer = Origin .. Installed Christmas 2008
Latronics PV-1200 feed by 8xTrina TSM DC-01 .. 170watt = 1360watts DC in .. 1096watts AC out .. 5+years later 990watts ac out
Bthree
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:46 am

Bthree wrote:I like your idea of the thermostat but its just more expense

I doubt that it would cost that much.. There are zillions of button-thermostats (Bi-Metal) , that could be used.
just clamp it on to the compressor and run the Sump=Heater, via it.

I will try and find one, when I get a chance.. I suspect that $20 would cover the costs !

PS
First Try... http://www.klixon.com/klixon/thermostat-precision-4344.htm

There are THOUSANDS of these, from hundreds of manufacturers. Some will be perfectly suited, whilst others will be adaptable.

Hermetically sealed, high quality
Snap–action switching
Single pole, single throw (SPST)
Normally open or normally closed
Pre–set, non–adjustable calibration
Max resistive load: 7 amp
Operating temperature range: -65°F to 550°F (-54°C to 288°C)

PPS -- I would reckon that you will also find a "Refrigeration Thermostat" with a long tube sensor, that could be wrapped around the sealed unit (or "Attached"), eg.. http://www.stareast.com.au/retail_catalogue_page/RF150_item.html..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Smurf1976 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:11 pm

Tracker wrote:Has anyone found heaters in normal domestic RAC's ?

I haven't checked to see if it's due to a heater or not, but the one my neighbour has draws enough power on standby to visibly turn the meter. So I'm guessing that it may well have a heater.
Smurf1976
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby BundyzBitz » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:53 pm

Tracker wrote:.
Has anyone found heaters in normal domestic RAC's ?

I've got an LG 2kW split, that pulls around 120W on standby, thats measured first with my 'clamp on' energy meter then, to confirm, I borowed a Fluke clamp on current meter from a sparky mate, and a bit of ohms law.

Both ways come out around the 115-120 mark. So I'm thinkn its got a heater maybee 2

Now maybee my A/C's got issues, maybee it's an LG. I'm not sure, but I know it sucks the juice in standby, cause its been off at the meter box (except the couple of hot days) for 2mths 1 week, and our usage (by EA's meter) has definitely droped.

I don't think theres a need for a heater, here on the Central Coast, NSW. It rarely gets below 3-4Deg. Aren't these heaters for climates that get below 0 regularly??

Bundy
BundyzBitz
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Efficiency