Air conditioner "standby"

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Re: Air conditioner "standby"

Postby zzsstt » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:45 am

The energyrating website is useful, but sometimes can be misleading unless studied in detail. the ratings given involve energy use combined with (for want of a better word) "capacity", so a large fridge could be given a better "star rating" than a small one and still use more power, simply because it can store more food. If you want a big efficent fridge that's good, if you just want to use the smalest amount of energy, ignore the stars and look a the consumption figures! Equally the ratings vary between appliance sub-types (at least they did on the old system) - chest freezers can have lower "star values" than uprights but in fact are often far more efficient. The explanation is that chest and upright fridges are not compared to each other directly, because chest units are inherently more efficient and so have different rating scales. However the average consumer (and average salesman) does not always know this, hence may be misled in to buying an upright unit with "more stars" even though it is less efficient!

The 3 identical air conditioners in my original post are proving quite interesting. They do not appear on the energyrating tables, but their operator manual states they will use between 15 and 35W all the time. In fact it seems that two use slightly more than that, and the third uses almost nothing. I can find no information to confirm wether they have crankcase heaters, other than what the original Daikin techie told me. Interestingly the two units that have been drawing power, at the times I have checked them, have been in the shade, whilst the unit that does not draw power is in the sun........

It may be that because we are in a frost prone area, our installer chose to supply units with heaters.
zzsstt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby munter » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:57 pm

I agree that the energy stars could be considered a little misleading visually but it doesn't take much extra effort to find out the test cycle power consumption - it is written on the stickers in numbers beneath the stars! That way you can use the stars if you want to simply compare fridges of an equal size and the energy consumption numbers if you want to compare between differently sized devices.
I'm defending the system because I think it is a very useful tool that is simple enough for those with very limited interest in energy efficiency to use without needing too much mental exertion. I think we're far better off with it that we would be without!
http://renovations08.blogspot.com/ - my energy efficiency blog
munter
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby zzsstt » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:16 pm

I entirely agree, but then I read the small print and consider what I'm told.....

I stood in an electrical appliance shop and listened as a customer was sold an upright freezer in preference to a chest unit because the upright unit had more stars and was "therefore more efficient".

I suspect the majority of people actually buy what looks nice, is the right colour for their kitchen, will impress their friends etc. regardless of anything else. Those who rely on the salesman will almost inevitably buy what makes the store the most profit.

Of those who look at the "star sticker" at all, I would guess that most look at the stars and not the numbers underneath!
zzsstt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby enrique » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:16 pm

I have a mitsubishi unit in our house and I find that the billing meter dial does not rotate when I have all other circuits switched off and just the AC circuit left on and the AC in standby. This suggests minimal (or at least low) power consumption. I'll have to check what kind of consumption one spin on the dial represents to see if I can determine the sensistivity of the billing meter.

anyway click here u can get good solution
enrique
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Smurf1976 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:05 pm

enrique wrote:I have a mitsubishi unit in our house and I find that the billing meter dial does not rotate when I have all other circuits switched off and just the AC circuit left on and the AC in standby. This suggests minimal (or at least low) power consumption. I'll have to check what kind of consumption one spin on the dial represents to see if I can determine the sensistivity of the billing meter.

Normally it is either 266.6 or alternatively 400 revolutions per kWh. At least it is for the meters we have here in Tasmania (maybe different elsewhere?).
Smurf1976
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby enrique » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:21 pm

may be but i've not good idea about this . :?
enrique
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Jacks_hon » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:47 pm

I have a sanyo ductless air conditioner and I'm just starting it up for the season and it's stuck on standby?
and any other advise would be greatly appericated.
Jacks_hon
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Markanski » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:02 pm

I have three Fujitsu split units installed and my observation is that the compressor heaters must be thermostatically controlled because they appear to kick in intermittently. A Fujutsu rep suggested that I have the circuit breaker on for at least an hour before using a heating or cooling cycle. I was shocked at how much power these units consume when not in use.
Markanski
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby munter » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:19 pm

Yes - the standby power consumption does appear to be very high. It is surpising that the energy ratings don't appear to be strongly driven by the standby power figures though. You would think that units without the heater would show a distinct advantage.
http://renovations08.blogspot.com/ - my energy efficiency blog
munter
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Smurf1976 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:42 am

munter wrote:Yes - the standby power consumption does appear to be very high. It is surpising that the energy ratings don't appear to be strongly driven by the standby power figures though. You would think that units without the heater would show a distinct advantage.

Is there a practical way for the average consumer to find out which units have a heater before buying one?

I'm thinking about getting a reverse cycle A/C, but if it's going to sit there chewing through significant amounts of power all day even when it's switched off then I'll stick with the wood fire instead. Fair enough if it's a couple of Watts, but the one my neighbour has draws enough standby power to steadily turn the meter with nothing else connected (the A/C is on a separate meter to everything else so it's easy to check).
Smurf1976
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Efficiency