Solar water pump for garden irrigation

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Solar water pump for garden irrigation

Postby scottrg » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:55 pm

Hi, I am new to the forum and am seeking some help please.

We live in the south-west of WA on a farm property and have 2 solar water pump requirements.

We would like to irrigate our house garden from a large dam on the property and would like to use solar if possible.
I have made some enquiries but apart from an expensive solar panel, battery and pump setup I haven't found anything suitable.
The dam is about 60m from the house garden and there is a elevation rise of about 10m in height from the dam water level to the house site.
The pump I have is Onga JSP120 Automatic Pressure Pump and would like use that to the retic the garden on a timer, but I would consider any other pressure pump that auto switches on/off via timer.

The other solar pump system I am chasing is for pumping water from the same large dam up to a number of aquaculture ponds. This does not need to be high pressure but more about volume.
The ponds are about 300m from the dam, up a hill with the maximum elevation to the furtherest pond being about 50-60m in height.

Any thoughts, ideas, solutions that somebody has already would be most welcome.

Thanks
Scott
scottrg
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Solar water pump for garden irrigation

Postby Tracker » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:36 am

Welcome aboard..
I am afraid that your need is not a simple one or cheap one to fill..

So... you have an Onga pump... that would be 240v...
To use that, you would need a solar panels, and an inverter.and possibly a battery
The basic solar panel setup would need to be more powerful than the pump.. ie. If the pump uses 500W, then the panels would likely need to be closer to 1000w..

No.... it is not going to be cheap or simple...

With the house being 60M from the dam... could you run house power down there...?

Considering the need for two systems, and especially with the other needing. 60M lift, it is clear that you have to get it right first time.. ;)
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:27 am

PS... the more that I think of if the more convinced that I think I would be running house power that distance..
I am assuming that the garden is attached to the house... so what would a total run length be...

Were you still thinking alternative power, then I would check out ALIBABA for a 48v bore pump..
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby bashworth » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:41 pm

scottrg wrote:
The other solar pump system I am chasing is for pumping water from the same large dam up to a number of aquaculture ponds. This does not need to be high pressure but more about volume.
The ponds are about 300m from the dam, up a hill with the maximum elevation to the furtherest pond being about 50-60m in height.

50 -60m head is high pressure! For instance mains water pressure is often as low as 30m.

To get volume at that head you are going to need 3 phase power.
bashworth

http://www.anewhouse.com.au all aspects of building a new house.
Informative, Opinionated, and a bit Cheeky
bashworth
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby davidg » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:04 pm

bashworth wrote:50 -60m head is high pressure! For instance mains water pressure is often as low as 30m.
To get volume at that head you are going to need 3 phase power.

Franklin Solar pumping system will do the job it variable speed and it's 3 phase pure off-grid pumping system, these can pump a serious amount of water if need be. No they are not cheap, but they do work and they can move a lot of water. I have done a few of these, a couple of them push up to 170kL a day and are backed up by generator (stock watering) should there be a short fall in sun. a couple of them have also had to pump up to 200m in height from a bore, not quite the same volume of water was needed though.
Hybrid & Off-grid Systems - You could store Sun to use later- I Do!
SELECTRONIC SPMC-482 7.5kW, 7.2kW's of Arrays

with AC-Coupled Grid-Connected Inverters,
1100Ah 48V Bank

Auto Backup Genset
PVOutput Stats

We Sparkys light up your life :)
davidg
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:46 pm

I would say a petrol or diesel driven pump to lift large volumes of water to the ponds up the hill would be the most cost effective.

Perhaps a less expensive low pressure and relatively low volume solar pump dc pump and smallish battery charged by solar or perhaps direct pv powered pump using a maximizer. Locate the solar pump at the dam and let it fill a buffer tank near the house over the full daylight hrs it will slowly pump and fil the tank. Then having your 240v high pressure garden irrigation pump sucking from the tank and running for a short time on the timer. This way you can plug it into your house 240V (assuming the home has mains power?)

Kurt
Offgrid 2008, Selectronic PS1 6kw/48v inverter, x 2 Midnite solar classic 150 MPPT, 3960w NE PV 24 x 165w BP panels, 4200w NW PV 21 x 200w DAQO PV, 16x400ah lithium.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Warpspeed » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:21 pm

Scott,
O/k the required pressure head is 10m, with 60m of pipe, but you don't mention the anticipated flow requirement per day.
That will make a huge difference to the power requirements.
Warpspeed
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby KPrawn68 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:40 am

Solco deal with DC pumps pool and Bore with capacities exceeding your requirements you shold check out their site I think you would looking at around $6k though
KPrawn68
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Ozziozzi » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:00 pm

have you considered an old-fashioned water-pumping windmill. The sort that has become almost obsolete on some farms. I think that many of them were designed for pumping bore water, but not sure of the depth of bores.

It may be cheaper to build a water catchment --a small dam or water tanks fed by a roof of a large shed etc.--**above** the highest spot you need water and gravity feed to desired spot. There are also passive systems like hydraulic rams if you can get upstream on a watercourse. Try thinking non photovoltaic solutions. water pumping has been around a lot longer than electricity!!!! Just a thought.
Ozziozzi
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:47 pm

This is quite an old thread, and I suspect the decision has already been made...

There's a very good reason why windmills are on the way out- if the wind isn't blowing, you don't get any water! Solar powered pumping is much more reliable.

The old windmills will not pump to any significant head, they usually just deliver to a tank or trough nearby the tower.
Solar power is what gets billions of litres of water into the sky every day to form clouds, a slightly different method of using the solar power to move water is the way to go these days :) You don't need a battery, many systems will pump whenever there is sufficient radiation.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Next

Return to Energy Efficiency