Solar water pump for garden irrigation

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Re: Solar water pump for garden irrigation

Postby Ozziozzi » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:05 am

Thanks for the information Gordon. I didn't notice it was such an old post. Rather than saying a windmill was the only answer, I was just wondering aloud if PV panels are always THE answer? What did people do in the "old days" I guess they used Oil or petrol powered pumps, windmills, steam engines with wood-fired boilers. I do recall that many old sawmills ran on steam fuelled by the waste from the sawmill. Quite a sustainable solution until you used up all the trees :(
Ozziozzi
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby vornez » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:15 pm

I tried a Centaurus 1HP 800w bore pump on a 2.4kw modified inverter. The inverter overloaded and cut out. I then tried a 4kw modified inverter and it ran but needed heaps of car batteries to work. Eventually I decided it needed too much power from the batteries.

I power meter tested the bore pump and it showed 1540w for a second on startup for a second and went down to 1340w. So it uses more than what its rated at. The bore was only
minimum 10m deep. The bore only needed 115 amps at 12v but 620 cca each from 2 car batteries wasn't enough. So it wasn't that successful, a 12v bore would be my next choice.
vornez
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:50 am

Many motors will not work very well at all with modified sine wave inverters, they can run roughly/noisily, or not start at all. I'm sure you would have had a better result with a true sine wave inverter. Car batteries are not really suited to powering large inverters.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Warpspeed » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:19 am

A dc motor might be worth some consideration for something like this.
Warpspeed
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Previous

Return to Energy Efficiency