Freezer on cut off timer with solar

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Re: Freezer on cut off timer with solar

Postby Benny » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:39 am

WRT the original post, Patullose, the freezer won't use more energy overall if you use this method. Yes it will likely operate for a while after you turn it back on to get back to the set temperature, but the overall amount of energy used will actually be less if you do this. Once the freezer is down to temperature and in steady state, the amount of energy consumed is dependent on how much heat leaks in to the freezer - nothing else. This heat depends on the insulation and temp difference between in and out. So the higher the temp inside the freezer, the less heat leaks in and the less heat the heat pump has to take out. On average your freezer will be operating at a slightly higher temp than when it is constantly on, so the average energy consumed will be slightly less.
Have you considered how much energy your freezer uses to see what the effect will be ? Most freezers use <1kWh/day, so if you turn it off for say 8h/day that will shift about 0.3kWh from daytime to night. What's your FiT and how much is a third of a unit worth to you ?
Benny
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Tracker » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:15 pm

Benny wrote:WRT the original post, Patullose, ...... so if you turn it off for say 8h/day that will shift about 0.3kWh from daytime to night. What's your FiT and how much is a third of a unit worth to you ?

Without going back and reading again :oops: I think it was more a case of RUN with the SUN, and let the built-up cold, cover the night..
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:18 pm

patullose wrote:..... Someone told me that they use a off timer on their Freezer during the day to gain as much as they can from their feed in Tariff and set the freezer to turn on at night....

Indeed :oops: , it was the other way around... wanting to EXPORT as much as possible, by turning OFF as much as possible, during peak SUN..

Same-Same-But-Different... ;)
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby GaryJonassen » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:40 am

Feed in tariffs are either gross and not affected by usage or net at lower than any off peak tariff. Thus use when the sun is out seem to be the way to go.
Gary Jonassen
GaryJonassen
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Ozemate » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:35 am

I have combined a few step to come up with what I believe is a good Balance
I have installed 4 x 250W panels on my shed roof
This feeds 5 x 100Ah = 12v -> 500ah deep cycle Batteries during the day
At night I have a timer to turn off the Power to 2 X Chest Freezers
In the Freezers is 4 X 2lt High Salt concentrate water bottles
From 18:00 to 23:00 I have 2 x 500w micro grid connect inverters running feeding 1Kw into the House via grid
And during the Day I have 10Kw grid connect panels : 7.5 feed in tariff last account $0.00
Also I have a Bypass set so when the Batteries are full the cut over and feed the Micro inverters so no power is lost.
Sungrow Inverters 5Kw , 3Kw, 2Kw Grid Connect
Ozemate
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby gedogen » Mon May 29, 2017 7:50 am

This is an old thread but a worthwhile topic.

I use a 7cf chest freezer as a fridge. I only allow it to cool during the day. Totally off when the PV panels are not producing any power. I use massive amounts of liquid, usually in the form of about 40-50 cans of beverage. I keep it as close to freezing as possible and that stored cold gets me through the night. Anything added to the fridge has to be in there before noon so it gets down to temperature before evening. No exotic fluids needed. That works for my off grid cabin keeping batteries to a minimum.

As an alternative a fridge with a dual temperature setting would be good for tariff relief. Faking out the sensor with an added resistor so it runs colder in the high sun periods would work.
gedogen
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Previous

Return to Energy Efficiency