Using forum quote function.

Say g'day and tell us a little bit about yourself if you wish. If you have a wind or solar power system, big or small; flaunt its specs here!

Using forum quote function.

Postby Sundance » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:40 pm

How do you use the quote function to highlight part of previous post for a reply. And how do you do it multiple times in the one reply post.
Help appreciated
Cheers
Sundance
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Re: Using forum quote function.

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:28 pm

Use the Quote function at the upper right and edit anything you don't need out from between {quote} and {/quote} but use square brackets.

For multiple quotings just put the bits you want in between the bracketed quote and/quote as above, and if you are quoting someone other than in the initial quoted text, make it look like this, but with square brackets
{quote="Joe Blow"}blah blah blah{/quote} which will appear as
Joe Blow wrote: blah blah blah

If you want to only quote a selected section of text without any manual edditing, just use Reply, then find the message you want to quote down the page and highlight the bit you want, then click on Quote, and it will appear in your reply window.

Of course you can do all that manually with some cut and pasting, as I often do. Always have a look at the preview before submitting though, as it is easy to miss one out or have too many {quote} or {/quote}s
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby offgridQLD » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:13 pm

Joe Blow wrote: blah blah blah

This Joe Blow guy doesn't know what his talking about.

I was always under the impression when you quote you just hit the Quote tab then copy the entire previous post (relevant or not including previous quotes) and your done :D

Kurt
Offgrid 2008, Selectronic PS1 6kw/48v inverter, x 2 Midnite solar classic 150 MPPT, 3960w NE PV 24 x 165w BP panels, 4200w NW PV 21 x 200w DAQO PV, 16x400ah lithium.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:49 pm

:lol: it does seem that way sometimes! Fortunately I have a powerful editing stick here.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Tracker » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:52 am

Gordon-Loomberah wrote::lol: it does seem that way sometimes! Fortunately I have a powerful editing stick here.

And thank heavens you do...
It's just laziness to slam the QUOTE button and leave it ALL there, when it's three words you are considering..
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby bpratt » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:38 am

Gordon-Loomberah wrote: :lol: it does seem that way sometimes! Fortunately I have a powerful editing stick here.

Glad to see you use to good effect here too!

So many other forums just let people quote page after page of previous posts to just add a "me too" comment down the bottom of it.

Keep up the good work Gordon.
Kaco 6600
26 x Trina Honey 250w panels. (wish I could work out how to upload to pvoutput.org)

New house build :-
http://bandlnewhomebuild.blogspot.com

My weather station :-
http://jimboombaweather.com
bpratt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:43 am

There are forums where you the post just looks like a endless scroll of quote on quote on quote with perhaps a one line sentence at the bottom. In fact I have read some where your looking for the one line response at the bottom and it isn't even there :lol: Very confusing, they must have got so wound up quoting they forgot to comment :lol:

Kurt
Offgrid 2008, Selectronic PS1 6kw/48v inverter, x 2 Midnite solar classic 150 MPPT, 3960w NE PV 24 x 165w BP panels, 4200w NW PV 21 x 200w DAQO PV, 16x400ah lithium.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Introduce yourself