Electric scooter

Into electric cars, hydrogen engines, biodiesel; in fact any sort of alternative fuel vehicle? Here's the place for you - questions, tips, resources and electric car/alternative fuel vehicle news.

Electric scooter

Postby Benny » Thu May 21, 2015 12:26 pm

I've been given an electric scooter - not a small kids type scooter but "lambretta" road type. It was given to my brother who bought a new controller for it and got it basically operating but refused to buy new batteries for it. I've now got new batteries, 2 x 12V - big car ones but not sure of Ah. The scooter works but has a top speed of 25kmh and NO torque. It won't climb the smallest hill.

So I'm trying to think of what to do next. No specs at all on the scooter - no labels names anything. Same for the controller my brother bought - no name chinese stuff. Its like this ...

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shi ... 13103.html

so could be 800W.

I was thinking of putting an over-ride switch direct from batteries to motor just to see that the batteries can supply enough power/current and motor is powerful enough. Maybe drive along and get up to 25kmh then hit the over-ride switch but I'm a bit tentative about this. Whats a suitable switch to use. I know the issues with DC switches at high current needing to be carefully designed - I don't want the contacts welded together and not be able to stop until the battery is flat.

Is the 800W controller enough power for a scooter ? Any other suggestions ?
Benny
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Re: Electric scooter

Postby Tracker » Mon May 25, 2015 9:58 am

A number of issues apart from all of the unknowns from the actual machine..
Are there any markings on the actual motor, that can give a hint of power needs..

You say two car batteries .. not very suitable for a scooter.. deep cycle batteries would be better and likely LITHIUM for a good life potential..

PS.. we are assuming it is a brushed motor.. how about some photos of the motor..
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Benny » Mon May 25, 2015 5:42 pm

Thanks Tracker but I don't know if a photo will help. No labels at all on the bike or motor. Motor is inside the rear wheel hub. I'm not considering better batteries unless I know the performance can be improved.
Benny
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon May 25, 2015 7:21 pm

800W is plenty for an around town electric scooter- although the batteries have to be good enough to deliver it.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Keith B » Thu May 28, 2015 4:14 pm

I have three of these scooters, different brands on each but all much the same. They all have 48V 600W motors. Two of them use 4 x 12V SLA batteries that only just fit into the battery space. The third one I run off 3 x 18V 4.0 Ah LiPo drill batteries which plug into an adaptor I made and are charged in a 6 pack battery charger.They are from a well known hardware store, are not cheap but can also be used to power a host of portable tools as well as the bike. I keep three on charge and three on the bike. I also have a three wheel bike which is front wheel drive and is also fitted with 4 x 12V SLA batteries. All of the bikes will climb a reasonably steep hill but the battery soon become discharged if the hill is long. All bikes will easily do 40kph when fully charged.
Be aware that there are restrictions on the power that a non registered bike can have for use on the road. Mine are all for use off road only. Check before you ride.
Keith B
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Benny » Thu May 28, 2015 7:17 pm

Thanks Keith - I wonder if thats my problem - I have a 24V battery/controller and 48V motor ?? When I got it it looked like the original batteries were in there - very tightly packed and just 2 in series. I had to disassemble half the bike to get them out!
I see that site where my brother got the controller has 36V and 48V controllers that look the same as the one I have. Not sure if pulling the hub apart will give me any better idea what the motor is.
Benny
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Keith B » Thu May 28, 2015 8:42 pm

Hi Benny
The first thing you should check is the number of wires that go into the motor hub. There may be two which indicates that it is a brush type DC motor. There may be three which indicates a 3 phase AC motor, more commonly called a brushless DC motor. There may be 6 wires if it is a brushless DC motor with taco feedback. All of mine except the 3 wheel bike are the third type. Most of the replacement controllers have all instruction only in Chinese which I have had interpreted but was still difficult to follow.
Unless it is a true DC brush type it would be very difficult to bypass the controller. As the AC controllers convert the DC to AC required to power the motor.
Hope that this helps.
Keith B
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Benny » Fri May 29, 2015 8:44 pm

Its definitely DC type - only 2 wires go to motor.
Benny
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Keith B » Fri May 29, 2015 10:10 pm

Hi Benny
I suspect that you may have a 36V motor. Try connecting (temporarily) another 12 Volt battery in series with your two car batteries and giving it a run for a few minutes. Keep a check on the running temperature of the motor and controller (by touch) If OK then try for longer. If it gets too hot you may be stuck with what you have.
You may also find some suitable components at <www.oatleyelectronics.com> as they have electric bike kits.
Keith B
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Dricus » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:47 pm

I've been driving 2 types of electrical scooters for the past years, mainly in the summer months, it's the best way to get around here in Shanghai 8-)

The one I use now is 800W, 48V and I've been driving it for 2 years. It runs 50 km/u and that's with standard specs. It's one of those Vespa looking e-bikes..

Lots of people here in Shanghai try to make these scooters run a bit faster.. My friend took a standard electric scooter, 48V, 800W, and made it run about 65km/u by 2 simple adjustments:

1. Add another battery in series, from 48V to 60V
2. New controller. It runs 70km/u+ and it works well for over a year now.

A technician at an e-bike shop here told me even 70V works fine with these 800W electric motors. It seems the controllers get larger in size, the higher the voltage, and are usually mounted on the outside of the scooter (not enough space). Also he told me he can replace the 800W motor to a max. 2000W size, for those who are really suicidal ;)

In my opinion making these e-bikes run faster is fun, but I noticed my 4x 12V batteries have started to degrade after 2 years of usage.. If you demand more from the batteries I'd give them a 1-2 year lifetime or so..

If you need components have a look on Aliexpress.com
Based in Shanghai, China, working in PV manufacturing industry 7+ years. If you're interested, check out my blog Sinovoltaics. It's mainly about solar panel quality from PV manufacturers in Asia
Dricus
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Next

Return to Electric/Alternative Fuel Vehicles