I have an interest in energy sustainability and transport efficiency. After a literature review of what's out there, I've put together a paper. The paper provides:
* stats on energy consumption by transport and fuel type
* efficiencies of the full fuel cycle, including overall energy usage and CO2 output
* a comparison of different vehicles and vehicle types to present how some common perceptions are based only on the end use of energy
* brief review of public transport use
* and a very brief review of the cost benefit of various transport related projects
You can find the paper here: http://energytransportefficiency.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/improvements-to-transport-efficiency-in-australia.pdf
I'd love to hear your thoughts.