I-miev all electric car.

Into electric cars, hydrogen engines, biodiesel; in fact any sort of alternative fuel vehicle? Here's the place for you - questions, tips, resources and electric car/alternative fuel vehicle news.

Re: I-miev all electric car.

Postby conklinc » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:16 am

Dave,

What pressure are you running? Also, from your sig, I gather you're running 8.160kWh of panels off grid with 6,4ah of lithium battery storage. Am I reading that right? I know you've got some significant welding and other gear, so along with that, your home power draws and recharging the i-MiEV and the lithium storage batteries, is there any excess? Do you have a generator backup? If so, have you used it since moving out of the city?

Regards,

Curt
Langwarrin VIC
SMA Sunnyboy 4000, 20 185w SunEarth panels, no shade, NNE
'12 i-MiEV
conklinc
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:40 am

Curt,
Yes 8160w of PV. The lithium battery is 400ah x 16 cells 53v nominal roughly 21.2kwh of storage.

We do have a auto start 8kw 3cyl kubota diesel generator that came with the property. Though It's not even wired up at the moment and hasn't been used since 2012 when we purchased the property. I will keep it but I don't see us using it.

As for the workshops consumption although the power tools, welders and other machinery use large amounts of energy to run them they are not running for long periods of time. So they dont contribute much each day to the total KWh consumed. Smaller loads that are on 24/7 or for many hrs at a time like refrigerators, air conditioners, water heaters are the big contributors.

The Imiev can consume as much energy as the house on days when we have longer distances to drive. Not uncommon for the car to consume 10kwh and the house 8 - 12kwh. Shifting 1080kg of steel + 3 people around the hinterland at 60 - 100kph at up to 100km distance sure sucks the electrons :D Though it is kind cool zipping up the range overtaking the bellowing diesel and petrol cars on nothing more than yesterdays sunshine ;)

As for spare energy. Yes in summer we hit float every day often if we sleep in late like today... :oops: we are on float before we have eaten breakfast. So the remaining sunshine/energy is free to use how we like.

For example today the Imiev is topping up on charge now should be 100% by 11am or so. We are driving to Aldi supermarket thats 45km down the range (90km round trip) The house battery's are full so all energy to the Imiev is excess energy. It's going to be 35C+ today so the power room air condition is running and has the room at 24c . When we go out I will leave another Air conditioning on in our media room so we come to a chilly space after lunch when we get back to chill out in. I will have the Imiev back on charge by 1pm and will switch it off around 3-4pm. having lots of time flexibility with when and how we consume our energy (as in use lots when the sun is out) makes life much easier for living offgrid. If your at work all day and come home to use all your energy then it gets harder.

Our PV is actually set up better for winter production and QLD has good winter output so the reduction isn't that much. The only time you have to conserve energy is when you get several days of low output from big slow moving weather event. Though only happens a few times a year. I think conserving energy when that happens is more pleasant than running a generator .

Kurt.
Offgrid 2008, Selectronic PS1 6kw/48v inverter, x 2 Midnite solar classic 150 MPPT, 3960w NE PV 24 x 165w BP panels, 4200w NW PV 21 x 200w DAQO PV, 16x400ah lithium.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby conklinc » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:57 pm

Dave,

Would I be right assuming you purchased the lithium cells yourself and put the battery together yourself?
conklinc
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:07 pm

conklinc wrote:Dave, ...

Curt, who is this 'Dave' of whom you speak? ;)
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby offgridQLD » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:06 pm

Yes I purchased the Chinese Calb CA 400ah lifepo4 cells from EVpower in WA along with a BMS and contractor/controller box from then to.Assembling the cells as a bank of 16 cells in series. Using ss plates at each end and all-thread rods to clamp it all together.

There is most likely more options available now. Perhaps even some bigger brand name cell for competitive prices than several years ago. Something turn key is always nice as long as you don't end up paying to much for the privilege.

To answer your first question about tyre pressure. I run 40psi front and back in the Imiev. I check it about once every 4 weeks or so.

Curt, I think you have the names mixed up I have the same name but with a K :) Not Dave

Kurt.
Offgrid 2008, Selectronic PS1 6kw/48v inverter, x 2 Midnite solar classic 150 MPPT, 3960w NE PV 24 x 165w BP panels, 4200w NW PV 21 x 200w DAQO PV, 16x400ah lithium.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby conklinc » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:28 am

Kurt,

Yeah, by bad, mental block, I was thinking of Dave, "next door" over in Dandenong. He is also offgrid, licensed electrician and regularly installs solar panel/battery systems. Again, my bad!

I was up there in QLD last winter, wanted to stop by and "check you out" but just didn't have the time. We were camping inland on the way up, clear to Port Douglas, and then down the coast on the way back to Melbourne. NEXT TIME!

I noticed the discussion from last August that I missed (I was in rural QLD!) about the little lead acid job where the ICE would be. Twice now, I have left the ignition on accessory over night and the little job went flat. Second time it really messed up the car, and recharging it wouldnt raise the bars up. Towed it to Chadstone Mitsubishi and they replace an electrical/digital component. to this day (well, I've been Stateside since mid-Oct) occasionally she won't show "READY" when I turn the key. Turn it off and retry and all is well. Try getting that to happen at the dealers.

I'm still happy with her though, . . . hey, the price of petrol is headed back up now that OPEC has cut production. Petrol in December here was down to U.S.$1.85 a gallon . . . well, that was in Grand Junction Colorado . . . that is equivalent to roughly 50 cents a litre. It's up to $2.17 now, and will continue to rise.

Regards,

Curt
conklinc
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:46 pm

It's worth having a 2nd 12v battery on had when swapping one out. I had no issues like your describe. Though I did loose the code for the stereo. I wasn't fussed about it at the time as I assumed it was printed in the service manual. Though on checking that info is blank :evil:

So now every 5 min the stereo switched off and demands a code. You can turn it back on but then you only get 5min before a repeat. Seriously perhaps in 1987 but who in 2017 would want to break into a car and take the $5 stock integrated AM/FM CD player. What could they want with it ....sell it to some one so they can downgrade from the one that is already in there car. The cup holder has more street value but has no security code. :lol:

Good reason to install a android based double din head unit.

I am using our car refrigerator more now days in our Imiev. I have a dual battery in my 4wd to run the refrigerator when the cars ignition switch is off. Though the refrigerator turns off in the Imiev when the ignition is off . So I will look into having a small lithium battery that charges from the Imiev when its in ready mode and can keep the fridge going for a few hrs when the ignition is off.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby conklinc » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:03 pm

Kurt,

RE: fridge in i-MiEV . . . why not just slap a 250w/300w panel on top? hehehe!

Seriously, though. Dave in Dandenong has on on top of his little 4 cylinder ute canopy top. He told a friend of mine who has a '14 Triton to do it and it would keep his fridge running unless he got a lot of cloudy days. Sure enough, that baby keeps cold overnight while camping up in the northern climes.
conklinc
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:45 pm

Yes I have two 120w solar panels (one on top the camper and one on canopy of the ute) that do just that for camping for many days at a time.

Though in my area just going to the shops in the Imiev to buy milk and returning home can be a 40min round trip or up to 1hr round trip depending on what supermarket you go to.

So the fridge gets used a lot just to keep perishable food cold on the way home from the shops. Particularly in 38C like it was yesterday at one point. having 12v power for the 1hr or so while we are in the shop just helps have the fridge pre chilled before we put things into it. The fridge only uses 1ah over 1hr before the ignition is turned back on and it has a 16kw battery to suck from :lol: one 4 cell 10ah headway lithium battery will run the fridge set at 2c for about 10hrs.

Sucking 1ah for so from the Imievs lead acid battery is most likely the easiest option. Just have to dig around and find some 12v power that is uninterrupted by the ignition switch.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby conklinc » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:07 am

Kurt, others . . .

Lately there has been a lot of yak in the States about using old EV batteries as storage for consumer households. I know there was also a bit of chatter about it even in Australia when the iMiEV and Leaf first came out. I've also heard that some dude back east in I think NY configured either his Prius or Leaf to run his household on the lithium's in his EV during the '12 Hurricane Sandy.

Myself, my wife and I average about 8 kWh consumption daily, and that includes drying all laundry with a clothes dryer. In a pinch we could easily cut that back to about half with no difficulty. That would give us 3 or 4 days of juice in a semi-catastrophic power failure event.

What would be involved it making the i-MiEV's lithium battery pack compatible with the 240v house main for use in such situations? Seems to me that it could be used permanently once the life of the car is consumed, or it is totaled. I recall someone picked up a pack out of a totaled i-MiEV for like $5 grand. 16kW storage for $5 grand? Deal of the century if it could be inverted to 240v.

Kurt?

38 in Brissie yesterday? Try -23 here last week. Wanna go home!
conklinc
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

PreviousNext

Return to Electric/Alternative Fuel Vehicles