I-miev all electric car.

Into electric cars, hydrogen engines, biodiesel; in fact any sort of alternative fuel vehicle? Here's the place for you - questions, tips, resources and electric car/alternative fuel vehicle news.

Re: I-miev all electric car.

Postby Benny » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:24 pm

On a completely non-technical issue - what do others here pay for insurance on the iMiev ? WE just got our renewal and its gone up to over $700 - comprehensive, replacement value. Especially as we saw an exactly similar car for sale at the recent Perth AEVA display for only $13,500!
Benny
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby conklinc » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:31 pm

I'm forced to pay $900 by RACV here on the fringes of Melbourne Town. SUX! :evil:

Regards,

Curt
Melbourne
conklinc
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:11 pm

$359 budget direct for our 2012 Imiev. I'm happy with that . No one under 30 years old is allowed to drive it and we have a rating one and all that rubbish.

Ring around as some places try and screw you on insurance. I more or less have to change insurance company's every year on everything! From car to house you name it they always try and pull a shifty and jack up the insurance after a year or two. Just ring around its worth it. Some times you can ring around then call them and give them a chance to match it . If they don't match the price your changing and as soon as they say no just say ok no prob cancel it then I will go with ...... insurance.

I print out all the details I need so it only takes 5 min to switch insurers.

Kurt
Offgrid 2008, Selectronic PS1 6kw/48v inverter, x 2 Midnite solar classic 150 MPPT, 3960w NE PV 24 x 165w BP panels, 4200w NW PV 21 x 200w DAQO PV, 16x400ah lithium.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Mon May 02, 2016 9:39 pm

Somewhere under the dust is a charger and a motor controller :lol: One good thing about a electric car is everything is sealed up for the water IP rating and no air breathing ICE to suck in dust a wear out when driving a lot on dirt roads like I do. I was going to clean it but then thought why bother it will just be dirty again in a few days.

Have a new contact who is giving me a used Imeiv battery box that he no longer has a need for. Should be interesting to use in measuring up future cell replacement options down the track. though the battery is performing like new to date so could be some time.

From what he mentioned he has purchased several wrecked Imiev's 3 all up (one his wife wouldn't let him pull apart and she has taken possession of it :lol: )

He has a complete drive line and power electronics removed from the two wrecks and laid out on the floor and has them working outside the car. He has two of them because he is using them in a old landcruser 4wd duel imiev engine 4wd EV conversion project. I'm keen to take a look for myself.

One other interesting local Ev news is latronics in Caloundra (local town on the cost from me about 45km away down the hill has put in some Ev chargers out front. They have a large PV install on the industrial building. So along with a few new 50kw DC fast chargers popping up and a few more AC charging locations so the public charging options are improving. Not that I use them but it's nice to know they are out there if you do need to use them one day.

Kurt
Offgrid 2008, Selectronic PS1 6kw/48v inverter, x 2 Midnite solar classic 150 MPPT, 3960w NE PV 24 x 165w BP panels, 4200w NW PV 21 x 200w DAQO PV, 16x400ah lithium.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Tue May 10, 2016 7:53 pm

I picked up the give away Imiev OEM battery box last week.

All I can say is it's one hell of a solid unit. The box is about 1400mm long by about 1000mm wide. It's ribbed inside with probably 30+ full depth in each direction to separate each 50ah battery cell block. I havn't weighed it yet but it felt heavy lifting it above my head to get it on the roof racks of the ute by myself. Perhaps 40kg or so.

It's made of a realy strong fiber reinforced plastic at the base it would have to be 12mm thick. The same thickness throughout including all the ribbing and some sections on the sides are a good 16mm+ thick. Heavy stamped box section bolts 3mm+ thick it to the chassis rails in 8 locations.

I think you could drive over a land mine and the box would hold up. It's so solid. I don't feel so guilty of having high sided our Imiev on concrete ditch one time now . As there is no way 1000kg would have any effect on it:lol:

There is a additional very thin plastic bash plate (Actually its more of a aerodynamics plate) that I got to that fits under the box full length of the car to make the bottom of the car one big flat surface. This thin earo plate has a very fine steel mesh over the entire inside of it. The thinking is that it is there for the odd chance that any steel object could punch upward through the box it would have grounded first on the mesh as it poked through it first the battery would already be disabled when this grounding was detected.

Lots of cast aluminum blocks on the box with machined cable entry points with o rings. A lot of attention to grounding all points of the box as one unit.(nothing overlooked with 360v DC). One big rubber seal fits around the top and bottom sections of the box.

Over all though the layout is very simple and easy to work with.

I will post some pics up over the weekend.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Tue May 10, 2016 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Tue May 10, 2016 8:11 pm

Found a few pics on my phone. Will post some of the inside on the weekend.I will get some of the inside where you can really get a feeling of how solid it is.

The bottom 1/2 is the strong bit. The top section is more of a weather tight cover. Each bulge in the top section corresponds to a bulge in the floor pan of the car.

located under each seat and another under bulge under the rear seat. So there is a large open section under the car with the battery box removed. When fitted It the bottom of the box ends up being more or less flush as the underside of the car. There is a opening in the top under the passengers seat that corresponds with a big orange battery isolating plug that can be removed from inside the car ad you can see the cutout in the box. The round cut out if where the car can force cold air from the air conditioner into the box when fast charging at 50kw!

I have to work out another time to catch up with the guy who gave it to me again and see the complete Imiev drive line set out on the floor and running. I will try and get a video of that when I do.

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby conklinc » Sun May 15, 2016 4:48 pm

So Nissan has just bought an additional 34% of the Mitsubishi stock, I have no idea what % of the stock they previously owned. Nissan now controls Mitsubishi. They are the largest single stockholder. They look to joint development and platform sharing. My take on that is that Nissan wants the PHEV technology. Just before the sale, Mitsu stock dropped 30% in value over the fuel economy scandal. The press in the States played it up as if if were part of the continuing VW emissions cheating scandal. BIG DIFFERENCE folks. F*rd got caught lying about the Focus fuel economy a few years ago, didn't affect F*rd stock.

I would assume that any future Mitsubishi electric vehicle development will be in concert with Nissan. The iMiEV has been killed off for now.

All this courtesy of greencarreports.com

Regards,

Curt
conklinc
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:53 pm

I went to drop my daughter at school this morning. After inserting the key and turning I got nothing. No lights, beeps or the usualy (Ready) display.

I was kind of expecting this to happen some day. The Imiev uses a conventional 33AH 12v flooded lead acid :o battery as its accessory battery.

This small lead acid battery has a very easy life. It's main job it is to boot up the main traction pack contractors and engage the main traction pack when you turn the key. From that moment on the DC/DC converter powered from the traction pack takes over all 12v loads.

The lead acid battery is also used to power your radio, warning lights and stationary 12v loads when the ignition key is in accessory position but you havent started :? the car (engaged the traction pack and dc/dc converter)

The 12v battery is charged by the DC/DC converter when driving or whenever the ignition is in the (ready position) the battery is also charged when the main traction pack is being charged from AC power.

So I had about 3.8v in the lead acid battery. I started to think if I had a interior light on last Friday (last time the car was used) I applied 12v to the battery from another small 12v battery and the passenger side interior light came on :oops: I was 99% sure the imiev automatically turned off the interior light after 1hr or so....perhaps not. So looks like the light was on for a good few days and this 4 1/2 year old 33ah battery didn't like that.

Not enough energy in it to boot the cars traction pack .

I thought it was time to show the car some love and replaced the little 12v lead acid battery with a new one given its age. Though the old one looks to be recovering ok and has been sucking up the amps for several hrs on charge.

I did have a thought about using 4x40ah calb cells i have (as they are almost identical dimensions) Though probably a wast of nice lithium cells doing a very easy job. Weight saving would be lucky to be 4kg.

Why they used a lead acid battery in a lithium powered car. I think it was for times like this when you do kill the battery or it just wears out . You can pop down to the auto parts store (or just about anywhere in the country) and get a replacement and be on your way again. Many people would have a conventional lead acid battery charger in there garage so they could use that. I think because the ignition battery is something the end user might get involved with they kept it simple and idiot proof.

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Benny » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:09 pm

We went away for 8 weeks last year and didn't leave anything on but I think even just the armed alarm system was enough to flatten the battery as it was dead as you describe when we got home. A couple of hours of trickle charging and its been fine ever since.

Also had an interesting might out a few weeks ago. We arrived at a bar to attend a birthday party but I wasn't quite sure where it was, so got out to explore. Leaving the keys in and car in Ready mode. I found the bar and came back to find my wife walking towards me so assumed she had locked the car and turned off - but she hadn't - it was left on. We came back a couple of hours later with it all still turned on - and not stolen! The remaining range had dropped from 70 to only 5 km and we were a bit worried but I didn't believe it. So we drove home 10 km or so and the range didn't drop at all. I think the "sitting still" caused the remaining range calculation to get scrambled. Even after overnight re-charge it was only 15km ! It took it a day or so and a few re-charges to come good.
Benny
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby offgridQLD » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:11 pm

Got some new tread for the Imiev just before xmas. Didn't bother with low Rolling resistance branded tyres. Run of the mill inexpensive Maxxis in stock size front and rear. The original rears where still fine with plenty of tread on them but given they were manufactured in 2011 they were hardening up a bit from age. I kept them as backup spares if one gets damaged.

Gave the car a wash to scrubs up like new. Not to bad considering we live on a dirt road. Though the car is always garaged.

The car gets driven 250km pr week 50km pr day weekdays + the odd trip on the weekend. No issues with the car to date. I often alternate the charge rate from 1200w - 1800w - 2400w - 3200w depending on how much I want to load up my off grid system, time before I need the car and weather conditions. To date the issue has been filling the car up to much . As in forgetting its on charge and charging it to 90% when I would have been happy with just 60% for the days needs. For general running around and clocking up the miles its working out well. The Ute gets used now and then for long trips or trailer work.

offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

PreviousNext

Return to Electric/Alternative Fuel Vehicles