Any one using Natural Gas for their car.

Into electric cars, hydrogen engines, biodiesel; in fact any sort of alternative fuel vehicle? Here's the place for you - questions, tips, resources and electric car/alternative fuel vehicle news.

Any one using Natural Gas for their car.

Postby jaahn » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:07 pm

Hi ;)
I was looking into using natural gas for usage as a fuel. I had heard about Honda in the US developing them some years ago, then withdrawing them for no good reason. We have plenty of NG in Australia and we are shipping it OS at bargain prices. :(

When I looked again recently I found there was a lot more information about usage worldwide. It seems like there is a largish number of cars running on it in some countries. Of course we have some busses that use it but the information is hard to come by. So the technology is available. :D

However there is a company in Victoria that is promoting it. They seem to supply the conversions and the home refueling as well as a public refuling stations. Anybody here know about them or even have a NG powered vehicle. :ugeek:

I saw a reference to Ford supplying a model of a Falcon factory fitted with NG equipment a few years ago. Thats news to me. Any information about NG in Australia is worth sharing. I have NG at home piped to my house as do a large number of homes in Australia. Seems like a cheap source of vehicle fuel readily available NOW. :mrgreen:

Cheers Jaahn
jaahn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: Any one using Natural Gas for their car.

Postby Tracker » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:37 am

I seriously looked into some years back, but found that the compressor was nla in Australia.

Today.... I would think twice as we are fast moving to a time when energy is sold as energy ... be it gas or electricity ..
Yes, there is lots of NG in Australia, but that will be sold to the world at market rates as your stupid government does not have the foresight to actually encouraged us to be practical .. They can't remain focused on the big picture. Just look at the schemes they start, f.up, and then drop.

Economically, I would like to have a one energy source home to increase the usage to charges ratio.
I am ditching NG because if their service charges.
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Cherokee Solar » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:20 pm

Tracker wrote:your stupid government does not have the foresight to actually encouraged us to be practical .. They can't remain focused on the big picture. Just look at the schemes they start, f.up, and then drop.

Tracker,

Seriously dude, that is a massive generalisation. The opposition don't seem to have much focus on the big picture either. They both simply reflect our societies inability to plan ahead and/or manage resources. It is a problem for all of us, not just the government. ;)

Chris
Cherokee Solar
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:04 am

All true .. :cry:
But they are the government, and the alternate government.
It's rather pointless blaming an opposition who have no control over policy, so we can only look to the government which clearly has no idea.
Why they could not manage the one environmentally friendly, energy reducing, population helpful program - Roof Insulation - without destroying the entire industry...

PS.... can anyone try and convince me that NG energy is going to remain competitive in this land, claiming to have vast reserves, or will our stupid government just say that this is a commercial decision and they. Won't. Interfere .. Having allowed rights to be sold off to International cartels ...
But they. Will.. interfere and deamonise coal power generation and they won't consider world experience with ground water contamination by CSG....
So.... do we still say it's. OK. Because. The opposition has no idea .. :?:
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby jaahn » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:50 am

Hi ;)
Well some discussion on the lack of vision etc of our Government and potential Gov. That could go on forever. Nothing likely to change there. As the oppostion is "free enterprise" by nature its hardly likely it will do much better than flogg it all off to the multi nationals to sell. :evil:

Back to the vehicles. How about free fuel for a year ! That's what the company is offering.
http://www.oes.net.au/compressed-nat...g-system.shtml
Check it out and let me know ? Its a long way for me to drive there and fill up however.
Cheers Jaahn :mrgreen:
jaahn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:28 pm

The issue, regrettably is still political, in my view..
We had CNG some years back and it was allowed to slide.
Busses still run on it, but not that long ago I could not buy the technology for love not money.
Now (..PS the link does not work..) we seem to have someone resurrecting the concept, and I would like to know if NG costs are going to remain competitive or will they go as I have been told... To a cost per Joule .. which will be the same for anything "Energy".
(Conspiracy Theory..??) This is all part of the New World Order to make energy, energy, and the source is irrelevant..

I admit that I am headed away from GAS, because of the service charges.. Had I been able to go CNG, I might have gone the other way..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby jaahn » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:49 pm

Hi :)
Try this link.The forum seems to have abreviated the url.

http://www.oes.net.au/compressed-natura ... stem.shtml
or just this one and go to the revelant page on CNG
http://www.oes.net.au/
Cheers jaahn
jaahn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:21 pm

The Worldwide rise of natural gas as a vehicle fuel is not only inevitable, it is already underway.

Yes, got into the site, and whilst it reads well, I still wonder about the final cost.. Just take LPG and how it was priced in the early days. Today, it is sold to China for cents, and we pay 69c at the pump, on the basis that "That is the world price"..
Currently natural gas is supplied to most metropolitan homes in Australia at prices about 0.85 cents per Megajoule or about 33 cents per cubic meter.

I was going to say .. "BET that there is no relationship between those figures and the bill that I get from AGL".. but I was wrong, with the figure being 0.79c/Mj.. according to MY gas bill..

I DO admit that IF I could use CNG in my LPG van, then I would stick with house NG..

I wonder what the cost of servicing the home compressor would do to the final cost..? You can be sure there will be regulations for regular service, by "APPROVED" service agents.. More jobs for the boys..
We can guarantee the price of CNG will not change for the next 3 years and guess what?

That is probably deceptive.. THEY might have a three year contract for the NG to make CNG, but that will not be the case with your home gas, if you are doing the compressing yourself..
PS - Don't forget the cost of the electricity to charge your car at home..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:51 pm

Yes our company OES CNG have been developing and researching CNG car
conversions and home compressors for the past 8 years. We currently have a
few different compressors on the market for home re-fuelling. All you need
is a natural gas pipeline. The unit would be stored outside of your
premises for proper ventilation and comes waterproof however building an
enclosure around for safety purposes can be organised.
Most popular CNG@HOME compressor at the moment is our HRA1 which is a
6cubic meter per hour that will fill your car in 2.5 hours. This is a very
quick fill and the price is $7000 +gst. The machine is self automated, so
basically you can connect your car at night, go to sleep, once your car is
filled it will shut off and in the morning away you go. The compressor
also has safety and leak detectors and will let you know when a service is
required after about 1000 hrs of usage
. We also have the capacity to build
larger compressors if you require more cars to be filled at a quicker
rate. Please let me know your needs.
There is absolutely no problem in converting an LPG car to run on CNG.
Conversion will also be dual fuel if needed, so you can still run on
unleaded petrol, until it becomes completely unaffordable in the near
future. Cost of conversion varies depending on the car, please supply the
car details. Generally you're looking at anywhere between $3,000-4000. We
do offer finance if required.
Our workshop is located in hoppers crossing, Melbourne where we carry out the
conversions and build compressors and our CNG public petrol station is in
Aspendale Gardens. We would love to open more public CNG petrol station
it's just a matter of time, however I will tell you home re-fuelling is a
much cheaper way to fill your car as the government has introduced excise
tax at petrol stations however decided against excising home use.

It sounds like I was given a false impression of the state of play with CNG.
This was a response to an inquiry to the company.. I have sought clarifications on some points.
Dual Fuel would be absolutely necessary, for many years to come..
Whilst I do expect that NG will rise in cost, I do wonder if it will always remain competitive as an auto-fuel, because the Govt. will have no way of imposing TAX on vehicle usage, when charged at home.

I am NOW rethinking the plan to ditch NG..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby antoni » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:35 pm

Hi duel gas cng/ lpg... no petrol needed....
Tony...
antoni
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Next

Return to Electric/Alternative Fuel Vehicles