Super Adobe

Straw bale, adobe - heck, even car tires can be used to construct a solid, earth friendly, energy efficient house! Share your alternative building experiences and ask for advice here

Super Adobe

Postby cameronp » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:30 am

Hey Guys, I'm going to a super adobe building workshop in Victoria next month, and I plan to go through the steps to get one set up by the book and get all the approvals etc. I know of a chap in Adelaide that has done it, so hoping to work up slowly from that point, start small, get the building code alternative solution approval etc, then look at building something larger for a home.

I'm going to document the process, and hope to sort of create an open source solution for people to follow if they have the want as well. Owning a house is just completely out of my reach, and I don't want to become a slave to the system, so want to try and find a way through it intelligently... Thats the plan anyways.

If you haven't heard of superadobe, here is a video on it, from cal-earth. The chap over there started it off over there, and it seems to be really taking off for options in the more dryer parts.

http://calearth.org/building-designs/eco-dome.html
cameronp
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Super Adobe

Postby Tracker » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:43 am

.....Learning and building an Eco-Dome is the next stage after building a small emergency shelter and provides hands-on learning experience in the essential aspects of Superadobe construction. It's small size of approximately 400 square feet (interior space), makes it a manageable structure for the first time owner builder....

Ummmmm..good luck with building approvals... :oops:

I would have thought that the big cost in home ownership, was the LAND.
The image of that structure screams. HOT..

I think that were i thinking alternative, then I would be using old tyres.. earth packed...

It will be interesting to read your report..

Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: Super Adobe

Postby mrsquish » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:32 pm

Hi Tracker,

I'm also interested in earthbag building, so I'm interested why you think they are "HOT"?

Cheers,

Adam.
mrsquish
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Return to Alternative Building