bubble wrap insulation

Straw bale, adobe - heck, even car tires can be used to construct a solid, earth friendly, energy efficient house! Share your alternative building experiences and ask for advice here

bubble wrap insulation

Postby joeb » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:31 pm

One of the best low cost insulating systems there is.
BUBBLE WRAP :mrgreen:

1. you basically cut the bubble wraps in the shape of your windows
2. spray a film of water on the window
3. apply and stick bubble wrap on the windows with the bubble side facing the glass
4. use and reuse indefinitely.
------------------------
Joe Brown
living the green life
www.SolarElectricityBasics.com
joeb
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: bubble wrap insulation

Postby MadMax » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:41 pm

great idea for cheap temporary double glazing/insulation!

we use bubble wrap to line the bath/sink before putting beer (and other drinks in it) when we have a party. The ice doesn't melt as quickly.

max
Last edited by MadMax on Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max S.
Energy Matters Forum Team

Check out Energy Matters' current solar power specials
or try our instant online solar quoting system!
MadMax
Energy Matters Team
Energy Matters Team

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:57 pm

My whole house is lined with bubble wrap ;) All the external walls have a layer of bubble wrap with a thin layer of aluminium foil as backing, R=1.3. Its great stuff, although a bit expensive. I put it there in addition to the usual mineral fibre R 2.0 batts for a bit of extra insulation.

Gordon
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby MichaelB » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:42 pm

Did you use AirCell Gordon, or that new "greener" product that's out - can't remember its name.

I just spent the morning lining some of my shed with AirCell after spotting the forecast for the next 7 days:

35°C , 36°C, 37°C, 39°C , 39°C, 40°C, 42°C

I was out here in my shed last year when temps hit 48.5 - I had no insulation and just a small desk fan. It was surreal - magpies were dropping dead around me although they had access to water and shade - just heat stress. I even had 4 of the poor little buggers trying to cram themselves in a small gap between the open door and wall of the shed to get some respite.

Anyhoo, this year I decided to get a little smarter - it was pretty cool today (32), but the AirCell made a big difference in my desk area. Just not having that radiant heat beating down on me is great, stayed nice and "cool" to the touch. I'll save up a few bucks and do the rest of the shed with it I think.
Michael B.
Energy Matters Forum Team (Please note: I am not a solar tech or installer)

MichaelB
Energy Matters Team
Energy Matters Team

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:59 pm

Yep, Air-Cell is what I used. I'm thinking of stapling some up under the yellow-tongue floor for insulation too.

48.5C sounds rather unpleasant in an uninsulated shed!

Gordon
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby MichaelB » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:17 pm

The other great thing about it is that now ASIO can't read our thoughts or use their pesky mind-control ray on us! This corner of my shed now looks like the X-Files Lone Gunmen hideout :)
Michael B.
Energy Matters Forum Team (Please note: I am not a solar tech or installer)

MichaelB
Energy Matters Team
Energy Matters Team

Postby Icarus » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:25 pm

Gordon , is the air-cell dear id like to fit something under my floors suspended wooden boards they are , Iam looking for something thats easyfit IE DiY ,
Cheers Dave
Icarus
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:09 pm

Dave, its not really what I'd call cheap. Its retailing for about $270/roll these days I think. The roll is 30m^2 total area from memory, and 1300mm wide. (away at work so cant check ATM)
I have a few windows covered with it for really hot days
I'm thinking about using it under my floorboards too, attaching it with a staple gun.

Gordon
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Icarus » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:32 pm

Gordon , i goolged air-cell and got there website they have alot of different types roof , walls ect but I didnt see any clear stuff for windows , are we talking the same stuff here or do you mean the normal postpak bubble wrap ? .

also did you build you house from the ground to be energy efficient ? I really wish I could do that , its so hard trying to retro fit stuff and the house is not aligned well .

Dave
Icarus
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:24 pm

This is the stuff I have, in fact its the only type I've seen for sale in the building supply places in Tamworth.
http://www.air-cell.com.au/pages/glareshield.htm

We have some thermal curtains up, but have been waiting months for the rest of them, so put this in the rooms not used very often. It's way ahead of bubble wrap.

I aligned the house for passive solar, and have put in a stack of insulation during building, lots more than was required by the regulations, but it is a kit home, so nowhere near as good as something like strawbale.
I wanted to build with mud brick... but the brick head council inspector said I had to mix pesticide with the mud to stop termites! That was the end of that idea. I ended up building a small round adobe building anyway, (with no pesticide in the mud!) and didnt tell them about it, to live in before I could afford to build the house, which is still under construction, but we are living in it.

Gordon
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Next

Return to Alternative Building