wood fired hotwater

Straw bale, adobe - heck, even car tires can be used to construct a solid, earth friendly, energy efficient house! Share your alternative building experiences and ask for advice here

Re: wood fired hotwater

Postby Cherokee Solar » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:00 pm

sandystone wrote:As I mentioned, the tiled floor is already installed

Oh well, that's how it rolls. It is very hard to know in advance how all of these things work in the real world until you try them out. I've had to rework some things here because they either failed or could have performed better. Still that's how you learn. :D

sandystone wrote:and I found out that to assist with heat distribution under the existing cement sheeting, to affix some aluminium sheeting to transfer heat from the piping to the floor, which will minimise/ eliminate the risk of expansion cracking on the tiled floor.

My gut feeling says this won't be an effective system for keeping the floor warm and it may well be that I misunderstand the specific details of your system. However, the reason for this gut feeling is that the pipes aren't embedded in the floor, so the heat will have to heat the air around the pipes under the floor. That warm air will then have to heat the fibro that the tiles sit on. Then the fibro will have to transfer heat into the tiles. It is a big ask for a hydronic system and it will take a long time to produce any heat in the flooring and unless the heat is maintained, the floor will cool again to the ambient air temperature.

As an alternative suggestion. How about a wall mounted hydronic radiator? It will heat the air in the bathroom and should be much cheaper to install. You'll also feel the heat from it within minutes (as long as the header tank is warm). This is a photo of my bathroom. The radiator works a treat and you can switch it on and off via a valve on the radiator pipe.

IMGP6075.JPG
IMGP6075.JPG (96.98 KiB) Viewed 1201 times

Also, with hydronic systems, make sure you install an electrical switch somewhere in the house to be able to switch the hydronic pump on and off easily. Thermostats are a bad idea for such a system as it means that the pump may operate at any time (summer or winter) and this may not be what you require at the time. After living with this system for years, it is far easier to just manually switch the hydronic pump on and off as you need it.
Off grid solar + hot water. Heavily insulated + owner built flamezone house BAL-FZ. 300 mixed fruit trees + herbs + flowers + vegetables. Bees + heritage chickens. High up in the mountains north of Melbourne. http://ferngladefarm.blogspot.com.au/
Cherokee Solar
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Previous

Return to Alternative Building