Roof Ventilation or Whirly Birds - Do They Work?

Straw bale, adobe - heck, even car tires can be used to construct a solid, earth friendly, energy efficient house! Share your alternative building experiences and ask for advice here

Re: Roof Ventilation or Whirly Birds - Do They Work?

Postby westie » Fri May 13, 2011 6:17 pm

I had roof insulation installed soon after my house was built. The deal included a whirlybird but for some reason there was a delay on this. Many phone calls later the whirlybird finally arrived, on a warm summers day. I was not at home at the time but two of my teenage sons were and they noticed a considerable drop in the temperature inside the house once the installation had taken place. So, in my opinion, they do work.
westie
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Bthree » Fri May 13, 2011 7:29 pm

Have a look at Superflow ventilators $125.00

They have a simpler fan than the twister above

http://www.ampelite.com.au/images/Superflow.pdf
Network = Powercor .. Retailer = Origin .. Installed Christmas 2008
Latronics PV-1200 feed by 8xTrina TSM DC-01 .. 170watt = 1360watts DC in .. 1096watts AC out .. 5+years later 990watts ac out
Bthree
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Johnny » Thu May 10, 2012 9:35 am

variflex wrote:Just on a side note, I went for the whirly birds with the clear perspex vent to allow light into my ceiling, my theory was that the light within the roof would help keep vermon out and also assist me when i have to get into the roof space.

Now they have skylights that are self ventilating.

So the balance is- do you want a skylight that ventilates? Or a vent that lets in light?
Johnny
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Tracker » Thu May 10, 2012 10:12 am

What of the whirly birds with the driven fan blade.. i wonder if they work better.

Now consider the other finding the a signifucant PV array shades the roof and some have reported with significant impact on roof space temperatures..

Im with the thought the no ventilation is better in winter..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Thu May 10, 2012 8:05 pm

Tracker wrote:What of the whirly birds with the driven fan blade..

:) ..... Derrrrr, I guess I did not read the previous post...
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby wtodamk » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:51 pm

I had installed some whirly birds on my roof many years ago, they help but they do not really dseem to pull the heat out of the roof cavity, I have gone a step further and wired a 12v 80w car radiator fan under the whirlybird vent, then connected a 40w 12v solar panel to the 12v fan, and it really pushes the heat out of the roof when the sun is out.
wtodamk
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Privatteer » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:48 am

I've found the moving part seems to do bugger all. There was a minor drop in my house temps particularly cooling down quicker after a hot day. Since I don't have any AC this is more noticeable than in a house with AC.

However after about 6 months one developed an annoying squeak. Couple screws made it a fixed vent and it still seems to do the job just as well.
Fresh slate - recently moved.
Privatteer
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:55 am

My only thought with fixing the turbine cap , is that it would effect waterproofing.
I would be confident that the spinning action would be part of the process.. ie it would act like a spin dryer.

I am aware that a popular Sydney electronics mob has a load of CdTe 72W panels, and I could well see these running an auto-cooling fan as mentioned earlier...

That panel is being developed into a kit consisting of the panel, a controller, and two ten watt LEDs, and the plan is to use it as an electronic SkyLight.. I could see it performing BOTH functions.

With the squeaky bearing..... Is it not a simple job to replace the bearings...?
Without knowing the exact construction, I would be looking to add a neoprene washer above the bearings to act as a rain cap....
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby daytripper1970 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:18 am

Hello,

I realise that this post was in May last year, but this might help others now who are considering one or even two of these.

I had East/West facing two-storey townhouse with no AC upstairs. During the height of summer it would be 45+ upstairs, so I used to sleep down stairs.

I installed one Whilry Bird in the middle of the roof and WOW what a difference, so much so that I could sleep back upstairs again. So I can say with hand on my heart, they work. A month later, I installed window tinting upstairs, and this kept the house at a constant 22 deg C... ahhhhh it was great.

Cheers.

P.S. First post here as well :-)
daytripper1970
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Tracker » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:58 am

good reassurance indeed.
We often wonder just how good these things really are..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

PreviousNext

Return to Alternative Building