Garage door insulation

Straw bale, adobe - heck, even car tires can be used to construct a solid, earth friendly, energy efficient house! Share your alternative building experiences and ask for advice here

Garage door insulation

Postby karlajensen » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:15 pm

After carefully managing the temperature of my garage by cracking the door a little overnight to catch some airflow and previously rejecting the idea of insulating it......

It became apparent that the East facing door was unbelievably hot up until 11 am, by this time the solar garage was well above ambient temp.

Double panel-lift door insulation bunnings is $150 for a single layer of foil backed bubble stuff.

Seemed pretty dear...

got some heavy duty cardboard boxes courtesy of SOLON (solar panel manufacturer) cut them into appropriately sized pieces and whalah -warm to touch vs too hot to hold hand comfortably.

Price free time 1.5hrs

Ease of task I'd rate a 1/10 if you can use a stanley knife and a straight edge you're in business.
I might add that you need those things to do the bubble foil at $150 too.

Result -very happy, spent the money I saved on a MAPP torch, now teaching myself to braze the hard way (no spare heat here)
8E + 8W + 8Nth Garage CMS2000-1 with ~4500W in 3 strings of 8.
Fronius Galvo 3.0 inverter with ~6.6kW panels
12x ZNShine + 12x 180W Solarfuns both NW + ZNShine 12x190 facing SE.
Edwards Solar Hot water

Luck Favours the well prepared.
karlajensen
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: Garage door insulation

Postby Bthree » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:09 pm

Sounds good, got the same problem myself !

How did you hold the cardboard in place ?
Network = Powercor .. Retailer = Origin .. Installed Christmas 2008
Latronics PV-1200 feed by 8xTrina TSM DC-01 .. 170watt = 1360watts DC in .. 1096watts AC out .. 5+years later 990watts ac out
Bthree
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby karlajensen » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:14 pm

tight fit and design of door, there are lips on each of the panels which mean you bend the cardboard to get it in but it wont fall out

obviously doesnt work for a rollerdoor, I have one of those on the other side of the garage but it is shaded.
8E + 8W + 8Nth Garage CMS2000-1 with ~4500W in 3 strings of 8.
Fronius Galvo 3.0 inverter with ~6.6kW panels
12x ZNShine + 12x 180W Solarfuns both NW + ZNShine 12x190 facing SE.
Edwards Solar Hot water

Luck Favours the well prepared.
karlajensen
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:26 pm

What have interior doors got to do with insulating a garage door ?
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:36 pm

They help keep the SPAM cool !
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby variflex » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:24 pm

Hmmmm, Not a bad idea,

I have been thinking about fitting some insulation on the box that my inverter is mounted in, it gets direct afternoon sun and is so hot one cant touch the door for more than a few seconds, as I have the CMS inverter which has a max operating temp of 55 degrees i have been thinking about adding some insulation, I have already fitted a solar powerd PC fan but think the cardboard insulation you have mentioned may be worth a try
variflex
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Downtoearth » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:07 am

Hi,
I too have been looking at insulating my single panel lift door. Our single garage is under our main roof, but unfortunately it is gunmetal grey in colour and faces north. On any day of full sunshine you could fry an egg on the inside of it.
I have considered every type of insulation (but I never thought of cardboard). Most types are a bit on
the expensive side or too difficult to mount on the door.
I was looking around Bunnings the other day and came across the floating floor section. They sell a thin foam sheet that is used as a underlay, and also one with aluminium foil attached! I am uncertain of the R value, but it looks like it could do the job. The 10m x 1.1 roll costs $35.00 and a 50m roll of aluminium tape is $12.90.

total cost $47.50 :lol: Not as cheap as cardboard but a lot cheaper that polystyrene. I will give it a go and let you know the results!
Downtoearth
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Inspector » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:47 pm

Downtoearth wrote:Hi,

I was looking around Bunnings the other day and came across the floating floor section. They sell a thin foam sheet that is used as a underlay, and also one with aluminium foil attached! I am uncertain of the R value, but it looks like it could do the job. The 10m x 1.1 roll costs $35.00 and a 50m roll of aluminium tape is $12.90.

total cost $47.50 :lol: Not as cheap as cardboard but a lot cheaper that polystyrene. I will give it a go and let you know the results!

I don't like your chances of it reducing temperature by much - I've seen how thin the floating floor foam is, and if the product you describe is similar gauge, it seems like it would be too thin to make much difference (even with the foil backing).

I'd be interested in hearing how it goes though - it's possibly one of the few solutions available for those with rollerdoors like myself. But I'd need to also insulate the unclad fibro walls of the garage as well or it would be a pointless exercise :) The north-facing garage roof is 95% covered in solar panels, the south side is colourbond, and there's sarking (only the foild moisture barrier, not the fibreglass/insulated stuff) but I reckon the panels keep the garage internal temps down considerably. Now the sun is moving more directly overhead, I'll see how the other side of the garage roof keeps the heat out.
"The standard you walk past is the standard you accept".
Inspector
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Downtoearth » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:36 pm

Inspector wrote:The north-facing garage roof is 95% covered in solar panels, the south side is colourbond, and there's sarking (only the foild moisture barrier, not the fibreglass/insulated stuff) but I reckon the panels keep the garage internal temps down considerably.

Some of the old landrovers had a double skin roof with an air gap of about an inch. They used to say that it was like parking the vehicle in the shade, instead of in the sun. In those days I never thought to test it with a thermometer. but it did make a difference sitting inside it. :) This was of course before car airconditioning ;)
Downtoearth
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:35 am

Downtoearth wrote:Some of the old landrovers had a double skin roof with an air gap of about an inch. ...

It's a simialr principle to a Trombe wall, a variation of which I use on my power shed to keep it cooler in summer. Sheets of plywood mounted on lengths of 75X35 running up the wall and roof, so that warm air is always flowing upwards in the gap, maintaining the walls at very close to ambient air temperature, rather than the 50+ degrees they were at in direct sun. In other applications the Trombe wall can be used to warm the inside of a building by having the top vent inside the house, rather than open to the outside.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Next

Return to Alternative Building