Garage door insulation

Straw bale, adobe - heck, even car tires can be used to construct a solid, earth friendly, energy efficient house! Share your alternative building experiences and ask for advice here

Re: Garage door insulation

Postby lizzydiz88 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:21 pm

Hi Bthree,

Not sure whether you are still on this board, but thanks so much for the idea using the foilboard. My husband and son did the garage door today in a couple of hours. The only difference is that we used small offcuts glued onto the metal, and then glued the larger sheets onto those. The idea was to create an air space between the door and the foilboard panels. This was suggested by Foilboard's super helpful and friendly Qld rep, Stephen. We used the 15mm thick panels, and roof/gutter sealant (for the heat resistance). My son has a garage bedroom, and tonight we could tell straight away that it wasn't as cold as usual, and we hope that it will also help modify summer heat. When I touched the foilboard tonight, and then the metal struts of the door, the temperature difference was dramatic. I think that foilboard or any of the similar products could work really well for other retro-fitting projects such as shed walls/ ceilings and patio ceilings, as it was easy and quick to use. The whole project cost $128 for foilboard, and another $6 for sealant.
Attachments
garage door3.jpg
garage door 2.jpg
garage door 1.jpg
3.04 solar pv system
Blog at https://empowerrepower.wordpress.com/
Sunshine Coast, Qld
lizzydiz88
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Bthree » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:02 am

I like the use of off cuts as spacers, they will take out any variations in the surface as well as providing an air gap to enhance insulation.

Well done, and thank you for sharing your experience.
Network = Powercor .. Retailer = Origin .. Installed Christmas 2008
Latronics PV-1200 feed by 8xTrina TSM DC-01 .. 170watt = 1360watts DC in .. 1096watts AC out .. 5+years later 990watts ac out
Bthree
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby lizzydiz88 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:28 am

A bit of an update, as we added the Foilboard in winter, and now that we've had some record-setting hot spring days, I've been able to check out the warm weather performance. On really hot days, the garage used to be markedly hotter than our living room. Now with the Foilboard insulation in place, it is markedly cooler than the living room.

Not feeling so guilty about my son's garage bedroom anymore, now that is so much more comfortable ;)
3.04 solar pv system
Sunshine Coast, Qld
lizzydiz88
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby jules » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:40 pm

Does it make the garage/bedroom somewhat better from an acoustic-resonance-sound proofing point of view as well?

The placement of the offcuts is perfect in terms of damping resonance from the door and the foilboard would appear to limit sound getting in or out as well.

Jules
Primary system: .8KW Trina panels; Plasmatronics PL40; 1,000Ah VRLA 12X2V battery bank; 1.7KW Selectronic inverter

Veteran system, semi retired: 6 X 55W Solarex 12V panels; Fangpusun CC; 6 X 2V, 35 year old 550Ah lead acid flooded cell batteries.
jules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby lizzydiz88 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:21 pm

Hi,

I asked my son, and he said that when the car pulls up outside the garage door, it isn't as loud as it used to be. I also noticed when it first got put in, that when I called out to my son in the garage from the living area, he couldn't hear me as well (or so he claimed :twisted: ) I guess with a garage door, there will still be sound travelling through the unsealed gaps at the sides of the doors.

I think that Foilboard or similar could be great in a shed as well.
3.04 solar pv system
Sunshine Coast, Qld
lizzydiz88
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby jimbo » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:13 pm

I might do the same in the container where my batteries and controller are. Gets toasty in summer afternoon sun. How much is the foil?
jimbo
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby lizzydiz88 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:37 pm

I can't remember the exact price per sheet, but the whole double garage door came to $128. It comes in several different thicknesses, so the price varies slightly. If you go to the Foilboard site www.foilboard.com.au you will be able to make contact with a sales rep and find out more.
3.04 solar pv system
Sunshine Coast, Qld
lizzydiz88
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Previous

Return to Alternative Building