Garage door insulation

Straw bale, adobe - heck, even car tires can be used to construct a solid, earth friendly, energy efficient house! Share your alternative building experiences and ask for advice here

Re: Garage door insulation

Postby grusrubicunda » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:59 pm

We have an insulated double width tilt door on our garage. We are in Ballarat, where warmth is valued. The heritage adviser wanted a door that looked like the old garage double swing doors, made of tongue and groove vertical boards.
We bought used lining boards, and could have just screwed them onto the outside of the door. The door is of galvanised sheet with shallow horizontal stiffening grooves every 350mm. The gal frame is 100mm deep, so we stripped the springs and struts off each side, turned the door around so the outside is now inside, replaced the fittings and re-hung the door, insulated the 100mm gap with fibreglass batts (polyester would be better as it is lighter), fixed reflective sarking over that, and screwed on the lining boards.
The sun is not an issue as the door faces south. It still needs rubber seals at all edges to stop airflow.
The door was heavy for my better half to lift, so it was motorised.
The roof has sarking under the iron, and inside the one timber wall.
grusrubicunda

Postby Downtoearth » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:36 pm

Hi,
I checked out the temp near our garage door (6in) and found out that our cheap thermometer Chinese) only goes to 50 deg. c. I was hopeing to be able to gain an accurate comparison for when the insulation was added.
Today it was off to Bunnings to buy the under laminate floor insulation with a single foil layer and some tape to stick it up with. ($47.80) Three hours later and and the deed was done. The temp near the door has now plummeted to about 27 deg. c. :D Not perfect, but neither am I. :lol:

I will now try to attach a photo

photo47.jpg
taken with an iphone and e-mailed to home them posted on to the web, not bad for an old bloke.
Downtoearth
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Inspector » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:11 pm

Nice job. Just keep an eye on the tape - in the event the heat coming through the panels might be abit too much for it and it starts coming unstuck...
"The standard you walk past is the standard you accept".
Inspector
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Downtoearth » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:29 pm

Thank you. I shall keep an eye on it
Cheers
Downtoearth
Downtoearth
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Bthree » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:26 am

Completed an install of foilboard insulation of my double panel lift garage door

Sheets come in 240 x 1200 mm thickness 10mm or 16 mm, I chose the 10mm for weight consideration, cost ~ $22.00 a sheet from the local hardware (Mitre 10 ) www.foilboard.com.au

Cut each panel to size exactly with a sharp knife and straight edge.
Had to put a slit through the middle horizontally cutting only half way through from the front side allowing the cut sheet to split and hinge into place due to overhanging metal folds top and bottom of each panel. You may not have to do this on some doors depending on construction.

Each sheet section was glued into place with generious dobs of silicone sealant and also used double sided tape to hold the sheets into place until silicone is dry (a day or so)

Added weight to the double panel door was approx, 4.1Kg

Got the door serviced after the instal mainly to adjust the balance springs (necessary)

Quite successful as the door faces east and the PVE-1200 inverter is housed within the garage heat is an issue, no meaningful results as it is not hot ATM.

Happy !

DSCF2316.jpg
Full view of completed garage door insulation refit
DSCF2321.jpg
Picure shows the type of foilboard used
Network = Powercor .. Retailer = Origin .. Installed Christmas 2008
Latronics PV-1200 feed by 8xTrina TSM DC-01 .. 170watt = 1360watts DC in .. 1096watts AC out .. 5+years later 990watts ac out
Bthree
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Downtoearth » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:46 pm

Very neat looking job B3. How many sheets did you use? What was your total cost?
So far the tape on mine has stayed in place.
The weight added to my single door was under 1kg so I did not bother to adjust the spring tension :)
Downtoearth
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Bthree » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:07 am

Used a total of 4 sheets with less than 10% waste on offcuts with a total cost including silicon and double sided tape of just under $100.00.

The way to tell if a door is not balanced is to release the lifting mechanism with the door about half a metre above the floor and the door should only move slowly to the ground, it was explained to me that the set of springs will naturally relax from new and will need adjustment after a year or so even without adding extra weigh.
Network = Powercor .. Retailer = Origin .. Installed Christmas 2008
Latronics PV-1200 feed by 8xTrina TSM DC-01 .. 170watt = 1360watts DC in .. 1096watts AC out .. 5+years later 990watts ac out
Bthree
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby orac » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:51 pm

I've just found this forum...did my west facing panel lift doors a couple of years ago with air-cell and double-sided tape.

Ran the tape along the inside edge of each panel:

Made a huge difference to the temps in the garage.

Finished Product:
orac
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Ben Tullipan » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:56 pm

Hi I bought my door from Ammo Doors it is fully insulated and has the old style look to it that you are talking about. There website is http://www.ammodoors.com.au they are the Australian distributer of Amarr Garage Doors if you google them you will find alot of information on insulated doors and what they call carrage house designs

{Moderator- removed quoting of an entire previous posting, please read the forum guidelines about excessive quoting :roll: ]
Last edited by Gordon-Loomberah on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed excessive quoting
Ben Tullipan
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Brodey » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:20 pm

I live on the sunshine coast here in Australia, We found a local company called ThermaDoor whom did our door for us, It's much prettier than that though. I found this photo on their website

It's a vinyl finish and according to their website it's a construction grade EPS... Costs us next to nothing to get done as an addon to our home.

I noticed a difference straight away, we only use it for our cars and a home gym but when you turn the fan on in garage like one of those pedastool fans I can actually feel it while on the treadmill now so I guess it's doing a pretty good job.

Here: http://www.thermadoor.com.au
Brodey
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Alternative Building