How I (Almost) Saved the Earth

Straw bale, adobe - heck, even car tires can be used to construct a solid, earth friendly, energy efficient house! Share your alternative building experiences and ask for advice here

How I (Almost) Saved the Earth

Postby wbdeejay » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:47 pm

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 23744.html

In some ways very sad to read of Scott Adams' experience, however I suspect that it is all too common, even in Australia as well.

As someone who has always been interested in "saving the earth" I find it difficult to comprehend the difficulties he went through.

So what can be done to lessen the drama for the less-informed? (If information is in fact the key?) What other options are there?
wbdeejay
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: How I (Almost) Saved the Earth

Postby Tracker » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:11 pm

... Simple -- DON'T Try ! .. . :o
If YOU are not prepared to accept the total responsibility of different construction methods, then don't expect ANYONE else to do it for you !

Unfortunately, it's only the rich, who can afford to lose, and the game, who will do it themselves, who get to do these fancy "Read-About" projects.

I would even doubt if a local suburban Council , would accept a home design using straw-bails.
Out in the rural setting, where your design cannot impinge on anyone else, you could get away with it.
I think I saw an article a few weeks ago , where a country home was built from straw, and they did not even tell the Council.

I think that it was all hypothetical, anyway !
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: How I (Almost) Saved the Earth

Postby frankjo25 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:21 pm

Interesting article, he put alot of time and effort into it, but not all projects work out i guess...
frankjo25
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Return to Alternative Building